• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Submerging the Trailer when launching and loading boat

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First and foremost make sure your bunks are free from tiny pieces of sand that you may pick up from the road. Once your are sure of that make sure that after loading your boat you give a hard stop to force the boat foward on the trailer and retighten the straps. This will make sure it is not shifting around and road debris is not getting between the boat and the bunks.

As @Bruce said also may sure your bunks are completely wet. I don't use the silicone because I am aftaid of accident or injury and water should be enough.

Lastly the carpet on the shorelandr trailers sucks. There are a couple of threads out there on where to find better carpet.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We back the boat into the water and then unwinch it.. becareful that the winch handle doesnt get away from u
I always let out a foot of winch line first and then lock it. If the winch line is tight it could put undue stress on the bow eye and fiberglass as the back of the boat starts to float.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always let out a foot of winch line first and then lock it. If the winch line is tight it could put undue stress on the bow eye and fiberglass as the back of the boat starts to float.
We let out a few inches for the same reason.. but i worry about letting that much out incase the boat does start to slide it will gain momentum and slamm the bow eye..

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We let out a few inches for the same reason.. but i worry about letting that much out incase the boat does start to slide it will gain momentum and slamm the bow eye..
I've never had it move until it starts to float but I back her in gently.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do u use liquid rollers? Mine has never moved.... u less i have somekinda silicon spray on the bunks.. then all bets are off.
No, just the standard carpet.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use silicone spray. It helps but it's not THAT slippery. People make it sound like the boat will skid right off, but the only noticeable difference is that I can tug the boat up tight to the roll with the winch (out of the water), whereas I could not do it before. Cam.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, Julian, UBB's are exactly the type I tried in the past with horrible results. These units I am referencing are not like those. I remember my ski feeling like it was 'sticking' some when loading with those UBB's. They split where mounted and scratched my hull badly. I spent $1,200 repairing the hull and switched to these from Surfix. Much higher quality and after 4 years, my 1k pound ski has no visible marks where it loads and glides every time on and off.
That sounds great. Would you recommend those for the AR? I'm very interested but had seen so many pictures of hull gelcoat damage from various bunk pads, didn't even consider. But this Surfix thing sounds like a real deal.

--

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
am I the only one that puts the trailer in the water and backs the boat off under power?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We almost do that.. i put it in reverse and my wafe gives me a little backwars push and the. Jams the breaks

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
am I the only one that puts the trailer in the water and backs the boat off under power?
I always back off the trailer under power. Our ramp seems to be perfect because it backs off really easily.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
has anyone tried to spray only 2 of the 4 bunk boards ?

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds great. Would you recommend those for the AR? I'm very interested but had seen so many pictures of hull gelcoat damage from various bunk pads, didn't even consider. But this Surfix thing sounds like a real deal.

--
Hey swatski, yes I would and yes they are the real deal. The other types of pads folks had such bad luck with, were the softer, almost 'plastic' feeling types. I tried those first and they are junk. Some boaters even use silicone spray on top of the Surfix units to really get the glide going. They have an 8k pound limit so our 4-4.5k 240's (loaded) are definitely in the safe zone. As soon as my new trailer is built (and I drive to Ohio to get it), I will be ordering and installing these right over the bunk carpet. I usually like to winch my boat on to save my bow stop and prevent any ingestion of shallow dock-area debris, so their units are even more important to me. But....they ain't cheap.

Last edited:

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
has anyone tried to spray only 2 of the 4 bunk boards ?
I have and I've tried all 4 with the same results: A cloud of silicon or me forgetting to do it at all, since the bunks should be dry to apply properly and by that time I'm in another zone mentally. I'm done with that mess.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey swatski, yes I would and yes they are the real deal. The other types of pads folks had such bad luck with, were the softer, almost 'plastic' feeling types. I tried those first and they are junk. Some boaters even use silicone spray on top of the Surfix units to really get the glide going. They have an 8k pound limit so our 4-4.5k 240's (loaded) are definitely in the safe zone. As soon as my new trailer is built (and I drive to Ohio to get it), I will be ordering and installing these right over the bunk carpet. I usually like to winch my boat on to save my bow stop and prevent any ingestion of shallow dock-area debris, so their units are even more important to me. But....they ain't cheap.
Great info, thanks!
I think I'll be getting those for my trailer, should be easier to keep clean and free of sand and silt that settles in the carpet. I have been surprised how much wear I see on my (black bottom) 2016 hull - where the bunks sit - no real damage but a lot of scratching/dulling.

--

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I usually spray only the front bunks since the hull doesnt touch the rear when loading. My typical routine is to give them a spray when i go get the empty trailer to put the boat on. Bunks have been drying in the sun all day. Mostly dries by the time I hit the ramp. Cam.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How far forward on the bunks should our boats be? The transom or trailing edge of my FSH is about 1/2" forward of the rear edge of the bunk. The winch looks pretty far forward on the tongue and it has more than 150 lbs of tongue weight using the strong arm scale. I can't lift it by hand. My FSH is also difficult to launch and retrieve using engine power. I see other people with other boats making it look easy with fenders and bunks just tipping the water like the book says. I have no choice but to winch it on the last 2'~. Will give the silicone or similar bunk spray a try.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@swatski how did the surfix units turn out for you? I am having the same scratching issues with my black hull and the bunk carpet is toast.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski how did the surfix units turn out for you? I am having the same scratching issues with my black hull and the bunk carpet is toast.
I'm sticking with the traditional carpeted bunks, for now.

--