• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up a stick

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
D107FD50-10D4-4B6F-8393-FAF5FEC50DE6.jpeg We’ll, it finally happened. Loading the boat onto the trailer last night at a nasty ramp with tons of garbage in the water when we heard a sound from SB engine that’s like a playing card caught in a bicycle spoke. My wife turned the engine off within 30 seconds when we determined the source of the noise, but I have a stick wedged between the impeller and the housing. Nothing appears bent, but time will tell. So far, I’ve managed to pry out 3 pieces from the other impeller blades, but can’t work the last one loose.

How difficult is it to remove the pump and impeller to ensure this isn’t damaged?

Just heat it up and the part will be a lot easier to remove once it contracts. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low heat.

once you get it loose from the front of the impeller you can get it out the back. After you heat the part wedged in between the impeller and the liner you can push it out toward the back

CC48396C-D758-4B03-97E5-5E7E18523648.jpeg I pulled the pump apart and here’s the impeller. The wood was wedged against the cone grate. If you can see from the pictures, my impeller blades all have a slight curve to them at the very tip. I don’t know if this was factory or if the wood bent all 3 tips. Can you guys confirm?

Attachments

• FA5B9D8E-6715-4E80-BDFF-E85B3871E71F.jpeg
    FA5B9D8E-6715-4E80-BDFF-E85B3871E71F.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 37
  • C4661912-06F9-4216-A343-192DD876F6E4.jpeg
    C4661912-06F9-4216-A343-192DD876F6E4.jpeg
    627.2 KB · Views: 40
Looks factory to me.

Looks like you have some soft damage but it may or may not affect the ride noticably. You would need to take the impeller off to see if the blade tips/trailing edges align/hold the specs (measure the distance from a flat surface to a fixed point on each blade, or use a pitch gauge). If it was me, I would put it back together and run the boat - if runs fine (most likely) - then no worries. If you get cavitation/slippage - may need to take that impeller off (not always easy) and replace or refurbish. Those are not expensive new (~$150, so could buy a new one, send the bad one to be repaired and keep it as a spare) - your impellers are both the same I believe in the newer boat.

--

For $150 for a new one I would replace it since it’s already apart and sit on the old one as a back up.

I put it back together and will see how things go next outing. Thanks for the advice guys!

I have run a lot bigger things than that through my impellors and never had any damage. I think you are fine.

@GoVols01. If you do remove the impeller again check for rolled edges on the outer edges of your blade. You can easily remove them with a hand file.

@GoVols01. If you do remove the impeller again check for rolled edges on the outer edges of your blade. You can easily remove them with a hand file.
Didn’t have any damage on the leading edges or the edges closest to the housing walls. Only concern was the trailing edges have a slight inward curve, as I showed in the picture. They were all curved the same way, so I’m not sure if it’s factory specification or bent. Even on those edges, nothing looks abnormal. Time will tell.

You could always pull the second pump to compare if the bend is the same now that you have experience and see it's not a big ordeal. I think it's just the profile though. Me I'd probably put it back together and see how it does. If you still have issue then you know it's the bend.

Had a similar occurrence this weekend. Sucked up my first rock, which got wedged into the impeller and made a horrible noise. Was able to limp back to the launch and load onto trailer.
With the incredible help from previous posts and videos on this forum, I was confident to disassemble and pull the impeller out. Was able to dislodge the rock and was extremely fortunate to have no noticeable damage to the impeller.
Took about a half hour total and gave a boost to my very minimal mechanical confidence. Took a ride the next day with no effects. Bullet dodged!

I would just run it. But if you want to fix it, compare to the other prop. Fixing a ripple or bend in the trailing edge is similar to re-pitching. Remove the prop from the shaft, put it in a vice, then we use a large crescent wrench to straighten it slowly.

Or, Impros can fix (long wait this time of year, ~$100+shipping), or SBT through impeller exchange program (very fast if they have one on the shelf - $90+shipping), or new from partzilla.com ($193 w/free shipping). You can also try a Solas, but really, the stock props are pretty dialed-in.

It's not a bad idea to have an extra good prop on the shelf, and know how to change it. Can keep you in the water instead of being down for an extended period of time.

-Greg

This is all the crap that was in my SB jet. The water bottle is there to help gauge the size of the sticks.

Attachments

• 8ED4ECF4-1E78-4A4D-950D-74A7994A0402.jpeg
    8ED4ECF4-1E78-4A4D-950D-74A7994A0402.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
Back