• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sugar Sand Vs others

Nitro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello all. I am brand new to boating and looking to get my first Jet Boat. I have been going back and forth between Sugar Sand and SeaDoo and many others. I am wondering if people have an good input on which brand is best for a new person to boating. I am also always keeping an eye on repairability. AKA how easy will parts be to get for the boat i chose. I am currently looking at a 2002 Tango and a 1999 Speedster. I know the SeaDoo is always easy to find parts but i am still unsure on the Sugar Sands. Any info is good info to have.

Thanks all. Love the Forum so far.

Yamaha, no question, best jet boats built!!!

Sugar sands might present some challenges as far as parts as I believe they're out of business. I do not believe they sold a whole lot of boats or at least their presence is very minimal on this forum

Sugar sands might present some challenges as far as parts as I believe they're out of business. I do not believe they sold a whole lot of boats or at least their presence is very minimal on this forum
You are correct that they are out of business. The thing I have found is some parts are hard to find like things on the hull aka, doors and hatches. But the overall drive system is all mercury. So easy to get. But your point is definitely well taken.

I have looked into Yamaha and it is far outside my budget for a first boat.

Thanks so far for the input. Anyone know of major issues with the seadoo speedsters or the sugar sands boats to look out for?

I had two jet boats with Mercury Sport Jet engine/pumps. I thought getting parts like mercury intake grates or even the impeller removal tool was difficult when I needed them before 2008. Both were two strokes and had fuel problems after a few years that could have been avoided with a little more preventive maintenance on my part. If I'm not mistaken the seadoo is a two stroke as well so the fuel lines may need to be replaced if they haven't already been. I would prefer the model with the 800 (787) cc 110 hp engines if given the choice, those engines are pretty tough and by 1999 well refined. Another thing to consider is seat layout, three across and one or two rear facing seats in the bow (I think) in the Tango and two by two plus a rearward facing bow seat in the seadoo. If it were me I would go for the seadoo because it has two engines (so I have some buffer before I make a call for a tow or break out an oar) and there are a lot of engine and pump parts available. Other boats to consider are the seadoo utopia and late model challengers both powered by Mercury Sport Jets, a few thousand more than what you are currently looking at but its a lot more boat for the money.

I had a 95 seadoo and ran it for yrs not a single problem loved that boat.

Are you going to fix it yourself or take it to a mechanic? You may have a hard time finding a reliable mechanic for such old power plants or they may require more repair/more money to fix more often, If you can work on it yourself it's a great option either way,

If you had to rely on someone else I would choose the seadoo and I would look for a four stroke model (if you can't get into a four stroke Yamaha).

I have looked into Yamaha and it is far outside my budget for a first boat.

Thanks so far for the input. Anyone know of major issues with the seadoo speedsters or the sugar sands boats to look out for?
I don't know what sugar sand boats are going for but the older Yamaha 2 strokes are very reasonable.

Earlier this year I bought a very good condition 2000 ls2000 for 5k... Dealer maintained one owner that had been stored in the covered dry stacks for its entire life. The trailer looked like new as it had been barely been used. And the owner threw in all the extras; tubes life, jackets ropes and anchors etc.

Other than replacing the trailer tires and oil lines and a few other minor preventative maintenance things it needed nothing.

Maybe I'm biased but I couldn't see a cheaper way to get on the water... with a very reliable boat which also has excellent OEM and aftermarket product support.

I don't know what sugar sand boats are going for but the older Yamaha 2 strokes are very reasonable.

Earlier this year I bought a very good condition 2000 ls2000 for 5k... Dealer maintained one owner that had been stored in the covered dry stacks for its entire life. The trailer looked like new as it had been barely been used. And the owner threw in all the extras; tubes life, jackets ropes and anchors etc.

Other than replacing the trailer tires and oil lines and a few other minor preventative maintenance things it needed nothing.

Maybe I'm biased but I couldn't see a cheaper way to get on the water... with a very reliable boat which also has excellent OEM and aftermarket product support.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I can not seem to find a yamaha that is below barely below 7K in my area and that is with nothing else. Lots of them seem to have issues as well. I will continue to keep my eyes open.

The opinions on SeaDoo are so heavily varied. LOTS of Negative and some positive. Only seen one bad on the Sugar Sands. The older harder to find parts is definitely a concern. Might just come down to best deal and what i like. At least i will get on the water.

Thanks again

Sugar Sand Tango spins on a dime. So fun! I had a Tango 4+2 and loved the boat. It blew the engine so I purchased a 2007 Sea Doo speedster with the 215 hp engine. Runs great and fast (53+), but not as much fun as the Sugar Sand. I know the sea doo is going to be much more reliable, but at what cost? Fun? bummed about the lack of fun when compared to the sugar sand. Anyone else agree?

Last edited:
I LOVE MY 2004 SUGAR SANDS 4+2 Tango. My 175 does 51mph [RADAR GUN DOCUMENTED} and we have yamaha seadoo's running on the Illinois and fox river alot! i have raced many and lost very few! my boat holds 6 but i travel with 2-3.my 175 averages 5mpg.7mpg when wife is with. she hates being airborne. lol ! my boat on the fox river can and does go in 6 inches of water, the yamaha's cant stay with me in that shallow of water.my boat dosen't smoke. the seadoo's look like mosquito trucks spraying streets when racing. Im glad i went with sugar sands!!!!

Last edited:
Although the 2 stroke engines have been off the market a while and lots of places ban all 2 stroke engines I still get orders for steering for those boats with the outboard engine v6 powerheads and the jet pumps but I do hear of people are having issues obtaining some parts for them.

Sugar Sand Tango spins on a dime. So fun! I had a Tango 4+2 and loved the boat. It blew the engine so I purchased a 2007 Sea Doo speedster with the 215 hp engine. Runs great and fast (53+), but not as much fun as the Sugar Sand. I know the sea doo is going to be much more reliable, but at what cost? Fun? bummed about the lack of fun when compared to the sugar sand. Anyone else agree?
I still also offer steering systems for your sea doo setup that greatly improve the steering at all speeds . It will turn on a dime and give you back some change.

Last edited:
I would like to add that if your living in the midwest. Joe turek is a master mechanic on these boats! He was a sugar sands dealer for years. His shop is called Tanglewood Marina in Saint Charles, Illinois. He knows where to get and how to install every part on these boats!

Back