• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Super charged 2019 AR190

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, it’s likely I have a trashed motor, tear down to come over the next couple weeks to determine if I just need a top end rebuild or a new motor.

I am looking for skis as a possible solution to getting a replacement motor if needed.

The question: if I purchased a super changed ski instead a naturally aspirated. Would it be a fairly easy install to add the SVHO instead of just the natural aspirated motor?

I assume the ski will come with inter cooler and all piping that would be needed. Would just need to add the addition pisser for the inter cooler.

Are the pumps the same on the skis and the boats? I know the 190 and 195 have different pump sizes.

What are your thoughts?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve found a 16 gp1800 with a SVHO for $8750. Possible candidate.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, it’s likely I have a trashed motor, tear down to come over the next couple weeks to determine if I just need a top end rebuild or a new motor.

I am looking for skis as a possible solution to getting a replacement motor if needed.

The question: if I purchased a super changed ski instead a naturally aspirated. Would it be a fairly easy install to add the SVHO instead of just the natural aspirated motor?

I assume the ski will come with inter cooler and all piping that would be needed. Would just need to add the addition pisser for the inter cooler.

Are the pumps the same on the skis and the boats? I know the 190 and 195 have different pump sizes.

What are your thoughts?
192s had the same pump I think, SHO. 195 w/SVHO switched to 160mm and different shaft and cone. I think transom plate is the same, but I would check that. It's doable but a lot of work and wouldn't be cheap; need to swap ECUs, too.

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, looks like I would need a 17 plus so I get the 160mm pump. However, the 19s have the new pump style. So I might need to get a 2019+ so it’s the closest match. Then I should be able to pretty much bolt everything up.
However, a this point it might just make sense to fix the motor normal and sell to upgrade to a 195.

also, 195 making the trip to Bimini, is the 40 gallon tank enough? I’m planing to make that Trip this coming up summer.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am curious as to what happened to trash a 2019 NA engine it is way past the timing chain failure era.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not really 100% sure

milky oil.

possibly from water sprayed in via dip stick

exhaust manifold casting plug popped out and motor over heated.

might just need a top end rebuild but won’t know untill it’s apart.

boat has 550 hours.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow that low of hours is it under warranty?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a dip stick tube break where it mounts on the side of the engine. I made one using soft copper tubing . matched the form attached a top mounting bracket and reused the base plate with a few improvements here and there, that was years ago and it's working great but it takes a lot of water in the hull to get up high enough to work it's way into the engine that way. my tube was totally broken off and it never had water in the oil. I have check the oil and inspect the oil filter for any leaks as part of my routine when launching for the day. Check the oil filter is the latest one since I had one blow on the same engine a couple years ago.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a cracked engine head leading to milky oil in the port engine of a 2016 AR240.
I don't know how common it is but I know I'm not alone.
New head assembly swapped under YES. All good now.

--

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
X2 on cracked head.
can you get compression numbers?

new head and valve job is 2K plus install.

Have place with used ones ready to install.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water in the dipstick would be from me, I cleaned the engine bay and didn’t realize the dip stick wasn’t all the way in.

compression numbers were

leak down test would not hold any pressure.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Sounds like a blown head gasket or cracked head, probably how the water got in the oil. Have a hard time believing you'd get enough water in the dipstick tube, especially if the dipstick was in, cleaning the engine unless you were practicing for one of those clown's mouth festival games!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah those are way down.

You would have to see how the pistons look after head comes off but I am with above cracked head.
The over heating is a factor in them cracking.

Here was mine

I had to replace mine and have a 4 month saga thread from start to finish of milky oil of boat with 148hrs on it.
I just got it back together and waiting to test. Hopefully this weekend.

I'd tear it down yourself and save for new head.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always wanted to see how the 155mm pump would hold up to an SVHO engine power output. At the very least you'll need a VERY aggressively pitched impeller to transfer power to the water.

I have suspicions that the 160mm pump won't just bolt to the hull of a factory 155mm equipped boat. At the least there you're going to need to do some fiberglass work where the intake tunnel meets the pump surround. Might be more to it than that to get the 160mm to work.

If you have the time and energy, this sounds like a great R&D project.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I’m just going to stick with the normal setup, hopefully it’s just a head and I can move on.

I just moved into an RV in October for at least 12 months and rented my house out, so I don’t have the resources to do anything myself right now.

The boat is at the dealer. Estimating labor and all for a head rebuild will be somewhere between $4-6k.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any possibility the head could of cracked and it not be from over heating?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I’m just going to stick with the normal setup, hopefully it’s just a head and I can move on.

I just moved into an RV in October for at least 12 months and rented my house out, so I don’t have the resources to do anything myself right now.

The boat is at the dealer. Estimating labor and all for a head rebuild will be somewhere between $4-6k.
crazy!!!!!
Source a NA ski and sell your old engine and ski parts.

Any possibility the head could of cracked and it not be from over heating?
Doubt it as everyones suspects over heating as cause. In SC skis its the boost and higher /rpms temps I guess.
They suggest cool down after long run vs just cutting engine off.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Water in the dipstick would be from me, I cleaned the engine bay and didn’t realize the dip stick wasn’t all the way in.

compression numbers were

leak down test would not hold any pressure.
That sounds like a warped head did the engine ever overheat & go in limp mode etc.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One thing I have not been reading but I was taught that all aluminum heads must be re-surfaced if they are removed and then reinstalled I read that people are removing the heads and wonder if they are having them resurfaced before they reinstall them?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing I have not been reading but I was taught that all aluminum heads must be re-surfaced if they are removed and then reinstalled I read that people are removing the heads and wonder if they are having them resurfaced before they reinstall them?
I think that is a relic of old info from times gone by. Older iron block to aluminum head interfaces were subject to unequal thermal expansion and would abrade against themselves and the gasket during operation, resulting in poor gasket life, and potential surface damage to the heads.

I've been doing engine work for decades and have never resurfaced a head just because I removed it. If it was over-heated, or over-boosted then I would resurface (often cleaning up less than 0.002" of "warpage", but if it was just a gasket failure from old age, or I was replacing cams, timing sets, or needed to clean coolant/oil passages and had the head off I would just toss it back on there with a new gasket and have good success. Often times though, the machining process to get the head resurfaced was only a few bucks while having new valves seats machined, or other work done. In that case the $40-$60 seemed like a good thing to do while they had it.

I would very much treat it on a case by case basis. In @B0at1n case, I would go ahead and have it resurfaced.