• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swim Platform Stern Storage Door (seat back) Latching Mechanism

LX210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I ordered magnets looks like they will bolt into the same place as the latch.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to know what you get and how it works out. I used to keep my fenders back there but the door would just pop open if it was a little choppy. I’ve replaced the latch 4 times.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can find the exact latch Yamaha is using at McMaster Carr P/N: 12855A65 $7.07 Ea. (Type in Part Number in search window.)

I purchased 4, so I would have spares.

I noticed that the due to slight flexing of the rear seats when opening / closing that I shut mine slowly making sure the latch lines up before closing. Have not had any issues since.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I had to tighten up the hinges on both of mine so the latches would line up after I replaced the latches

Guys - this is the key to fixing the latch problem. If the screws on the seat back loosen just a little bit the two parts of the latching mechanism will not line up. At best your door will just not latch but it can actually break the latch that it is on the seat back side. If your latch is not broken but shutting the door keeps popping the hook mechanism in you might just get by with properly adjusting your door up in the closed position. I had to repace the broken latch and then when the problem reoccurred I noticed the door was sagging a little bit preventing the latches from lining up.
I replaced the latch and adusted the seat back up and also put in a couple of lock washers on the seat back screws to hopefully keep it from sagging again.

As of now it is working perfectly again but if this breaks again I am switching to magnets.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you have any luck with this?

I tried it, and while I got it to "work", I don't have a lot of confidence that its strong enough to keep the seats closed on the highway. It's a good bit of a lighter pull than my other seat with a functioning latch. Not sure I can find stronger magnets that would work in this setup. I ended up 3D printing an insert that held 4 column style magnets that mated with a flat plate style.

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@seanmclean Did you ever get this to work? My starboard side broke at the end of last year and I've been having a difficult time locating a replace part. Was curious if this may be a better long term solution? Thanks

Did you have any luck with this?

I tried it, and while I got it to "work", I don't have a lot of confidence that its strong enough to keep the seats closed on the highway. It's a good bit of a lighter pull than my other seat with a functioning latch. Not sure I can find stronger magnets that would work in this setup. I ended up 3D printing an insert that held 4 column style magnets that mated with a flat plate style.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@seanmclean Did you ever get this to work? My starboard side broke at the end of last year and I've been having a difficult time locating a replace part. Was curious if this may be a better long term solution? Thanks
Not yet, that design 'worked', but it wouldn't stay closed at highway speed. I ended up just replacing with an OEM part, but I'm sure I'll revisit it this summer when one inevitably breaks again. I think a larger bar shaped magnet would work better than the columns I tried.

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dang it, ok thanks for the update. I’ll continue my search for OEM for time being

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One of mine has been broken a year and a half and I never remember to buy a replacement..... until now! I'm gonna give that McMaster Carr part number a try.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are y’all using to secure the mechanism in the seat back? Mine keeps coming out of the seat. I got some 5200 but that could be problematic if it breaks.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought the McMaster Carr latches and they aren't the exact replacements.... close, but not the same. The gap between the gripper piece and the outside of the latch is different. It wouldn't stay in place. I could glue it in place perhaps, but then it would be really hard to get out if it broke again.

In the pic below, the old one is on top and the new one is on bottom. You can see the difference. Not sure what I'm going to do....

IMG_9004.jpg

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bumping this.... I bought the correct latch (from Partszilla) and it worked perfectly. F3F-U5532 is the correct part number. Bought 2 so I have an extra....

IMG_2918.JPG

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
This is the problem that does not go away. I have tried two solutions - original replacment part and velcro. Both showed promise but eventually the doors pop open on the water. I have resorted to a cord that attaches to the tower with a bungie to hold it closed - pathetic but it works. I might try the partzilla solutionShookie recommended since I have the exact same year and model but am open toother suggestions if anyone has a slam dunk fix.

Scoop

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tried Velcro. Didn’t take a pic, but the issue is the curve of the fiberglass and door don’t match up well. Plus there’s a vinyl seam on the back of the door that won’t let the door touch. The Velcro didn’t work for me so I said eff it and went and bought another latch