• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 190 Speed Loss, Louder, and Cavitation

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have experienced speed loss, louder takeoff, and more cavitation in my 2019 SX190. I did suck up some smaller rocks around this time. That sounded like hitting something with a lawn mower. I shut it down immediately and cleaned it out. I added some impeller pics to see if this would cause nearly a 10mph drop. Also, wondering about the wear ring. Not sure if that sleeve is meant to be easily replaced if the impeller needs to be. I haven’t taken it apart yet. Any thoughts?

B0A0ED0E-F7F1-4AE3-8934-825AF7CA41AA.jpegC8C5F181-DAF4-487F-AB01-F3A7C58DC328.jpeg
DA1F2A62-AC1B-4468-8F7D-675F3408418F.jpeg94C98D5B-F3C0-473A-BCF9-608FCB83AC26.jpeg

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could certainly be the cause of your problems, I would put a new impeller on and see what changes, most members can easily do this themselves.

I wouldn't change the wear ring until you see how it ran with a new impeller,

Update your profile with your location and you might have someone nearby to help,

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I will try taking the impeller out myself and replacing it. I have watched the videos from models older than 2019 so hopefully it is not much different.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First check the integrity of the cleanout plug. If it seals properly, then replace the impeller, and throroughly check both housings for damage. It's fairly easy to do and doesn't take much time with the right tools. When putting things back together, just remember to put some anti-seize on the thread of the new impeller, marine grease on shaft teeth, and loctite blue 242 on bolts where needed. Do not use a sealer between housings, your future self will thank you the next time you have to replace it. Remember the impeller loosens clockwise.

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you recommend the Yamaha OEM impeller? I will follow your instructions when putting it all back together. The clean out plug doesn’t let any water through. Not sure if there is anything specific to look at on those or if people have had any issues with them.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you have a special need the oem is sufficient

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealership couldn’t get an impeller until December. I ordered one online so hopefully I’ll get it in and get to try it out before the Wisconsin winter weather arrives.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah most are out of housings and impellers.

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My online order was also put in back order status now too. Looks like I won’t be trying out a new impeller until next season.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you order from?

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From Amazon. I got a notice that it was a national back order item. I was going to try Yamaha Sports Plaza. Couldn’t find a number for them so sent an email.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check with Impros. They might have one sitting around, or can make you one to match stock specs.

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You could try filing it to remove the dings and straighten the edges. File the front and back side of the leading edge and get it as straight and smooth as possible.

Kinda like this...

Chuckie b

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had loud shreaking/cavitation noises on my 2020 Sx190 that Yamaha would do nothing about. I purchased an impeller for it from Impros here in So Cal. They were great and impeller improved everything, noise , low end and top end. Got in shipped to me in two days.