• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sudden loss of power/RPM

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
***UPDATE***
Okay here’s a break down of all
I’ve done and still no spark cylinder 4

1) checked oil levels and filled to proper levels.

2) checked air filter & cleaned it out. found small amounts of oil on filter (I have understood some oil is normal)

After step 1 and 2 I ran the boat and it ran great for about 3 miles and I thought I fixed it 😒 then the issue came back… Dropped to 6000 RPM no more than 20MPH. At this point I discovered cylinder 4 not sparking and I did the following troubleshooting steps 3-6 without any luck.

3) swapped around the coils to see if The problem transferred it did not. This rules out bad coil.

4) replaced cylinder four with new spark plug to see if that was the issue after inspecting the old spark plug (Which didn’t show any physical damage this did not work still no spark..

5) I did a continuity test to ensure that all wires are getting powered with a light tester. This checked out getting electricity on all wires.

6) I did a compression test I got 150psi each cylinder.

Any other ideas? 😮💨 thank you all once again for sticking with me trust that I’m doing everything you guys have suggested.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
***UPDATE***
Okay here’s a break down of all
I’ve done and still no spark cylinder 4

1) checked oil levels and filled to proper levels.

2) checked air filter & cleaned it out. found small amounts of oil on filter (I have understood some oil is normal)

After step 1 and 2 I ran the boat and it ran great for about 3 miles and I thought I fixed it 😒 then the issue came back… Dropped to 6000 RPM no more than 20MPH. At this point I discovered cylinder 4 not sparking and I did the following troubleshooting steps 3-6 without any luck.

3) swapped around the coils to see if The problem transferred it did not. This rules out bad coil.

4) replaced cylinder four with new spark plug to see if that was the issue after inspecting the old spark plug (Which didn’t show any physical damage this did not work still no spark..

5) I did a continuity test to ensure that all wires are getting powered with a light tester. This checked out getting electricity on all wires.

6) I did a compression test I got 150psi each cylinder.

Any other ideas? 😮💨 thank you all once again for sticking with me trust that I’m doing everything you guys have suggested.
Sounds like you aren't getting signal on cylinder #4. Check the electrical connector that the pin is all the way in the connector. You are getting constant 12V to the ignition coil? If yes, then the next move is to put an oscilloscope between the 2 wires and see if the ECU (Engine control unit) is sending signal to the coil. Unfortunately, an oscilloscope isn't something that people typically own. However, the ECU is probably pulsing ground to the ignition coil so maybe you can see some movement on the display by putting the multimeter between the 2 pins of the electrical connector.

EDIT: I was searching on google and maybe the ECU is constant ground and pulses 12V. Either way, the process to check for the signal is the same and you should be able to see something on the multimeter. Test cylinder #4 and then try it on another cylinder to see the difference

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Before buying an ECU I would carefully check wire harnesses. Inspect for bent pins or pins that got pushed back. Place a dab of di-electric grease on the connections.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Switching gears here - have you checked your impeller for any debris? Even a small 2 foot fishing line wrapped around the shaft will cause the issue you describe.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I failed to add yes I’ve done that thanks for covering this for me

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you pulled the pump to be 100% sure?

Also is this a 190 or 192/5?
it’s a 190 I haven’t pulled pump but idk if it related since the coil is non responsive

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Before buying an ECU I would carefully check wire harnesses. Inspect for bent pins or pins that got pushed back. Place a dab of di-electric grease on the connections.
just checked cable and it’s fine

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m gonna vote injector #4 is dead that’s the only thing that makes sense at this point

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m gonna vote injector #4 is dead that’s the only thing that makes sense at this point
I'm confused. Maybe i'm not understanding but I thought you said that there isn't spark. Before going to injector..

This is how I would check for spark: Remove the ignition coil. Plug the electrical connector in. Put a new spark plug in it. Hold the body of the spark plug against the engine block or bolt, anywhere there is a good ground. Have someone start the boat and see if there is a bright blue spark on the spark plug. 2 things can happen:

1. No spark? Try with another ignition coil -> Still no spark? You need to check that the ECU is pulsing ground to the ignition coil.

2. There is spark -> You already said that the compression is 150PSI so then you need to look at the injector.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm confused. Maybe i'm not understanding but I thought you said that there isn't spark. Before going to injector..

This is how I would check for spark: Remove the ignition coil. Plug the electrical connector in. Put a new spark plug in it. Hold the body of the spark plug against the engine block or bolt, anywhere there is a good ground. Have someone start the boat and see if there is a bright blue spark on the spark plug. 2 things can happen:

1. No spark? Try with another ignition coil -> Still no spark? You need to check that the ECU is pulsing ground to the ignition coil.

2. There is spark -> You already said that the compression is 150PSI so then you need to look at the injector.
I assumed there was no spark because cylinder four wasn’t starting even after all those tests I ran. I had a mobile mechanic come by today because I was finally brain dead lol He pulled out a bunch of meters test all the connections as I did and he said everything was getting electricity (which I knew already) he’s going to pull the fuel rail tomorrow and verify that I’m getting fuel from that injector he said he’s almost certain it’s that or the ECU issue you mentioned.
fingers crossed I hope it’s the injector and not the ECU they are pricey! I wish I would’ve thought about the injectors earlier to ask you guys what would be the best way to test that. Too late now I’m paying this guy 🫠 i’ll update you guys tomorrow.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How did you determine that theres no spark in that cylinder? Are you using a spark tester or grounding the spark plug electrode on the motor somewhere while cranking/running it?
cranking and light tester as well as sealing coils

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pretty sure the injector has a little micronic filter screen that can be cleaned if it functions electrically.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I assumed there was no spark because cylinder four wasn’t starting even after all those tests I ran. I had a mobile mechanic come by today because I was finally brain dead lol He pulled out a bunch of meters test all the connections as I did and he said everything was getting electricity (which I knew already) he’s going to pull the fuel rail tomorrow and verify that I’m getting fuel from that injector he said he’s almost certain it’s that or the ECU issue you mentioned.
fingers crossed I hope it’s the injector and not the ECU they are pricey! I wish I would’ve thought about the injectors earlier to ask you guys what would be the best way to test that. Too late now I’m paying this guy 🫠 i’ll update you guys tomorrow.
Ok so you have spark. The injector can be tested similar to the ignition coil. Without complex diagnostic tools: you can look up the resistance value in the service manual and check the resistance of the injector with a ohmmeter. Resistance value is ok -> move it to another cylinder. But it sounds like the technician will take care of this tomorrow. Good luck! I hope its an injector too.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
*****SOLVED*****

after much troubleshooting and a lot of help from you guys which I appreciate the problem ended up being a bad fuel injector. Cleaning wasn’t enough it wasn’t firing anymore had to get a new fuel injector for cylinder four. Hope this helps anyone in the future a lot of great information on this thread thank you all!

Attachments