• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Temporary Loss of Thrust

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yesterday I was out in the Bay (beautiful day, but no fish, alas), and I had a temporary loss of power/thrust from the starboard engine. I imagine I had a temporary impeller blockage, but since I've never experienced this before, I wanted to get feedback from the collective here. Here's the basics of what happened:

Boat ran great/normal for quite a while while we tried a couple of fishing spots. Motored over to another spot, our last attempt to find fish, and moved at idle speed through the group of other boats also looking for fish in vain. At this point, we decided to punt and head home, and so I gunned the engines. Up to about 3500 RPM everything seemed ok, but then it didn't sound right above 3500, and I wasn't getting the power I'm used to. I backed off, tried again, and same result. I shut off the engines and opened the clean out ports. I've had to clean grass out of there in the past, but that's about it. I couldn't see anything in the ports, and putting my hand down there didn't yield anything. I isolated the issue to the starboard engine based on the noise and lack of power, and I thought maybe the reverse gate was stuck in position or something.

I tried accelerating again. In throttle sync mode, I noticed at about 3500+ RPM that the starboard engine RPM's would surge slightly higher than the port, rather than staying synced to port, like there wasn't a load on that engine. Anyway, at some point just running around 18 to 20 mph something cleared up. Noise sounded fine again, power was returned, and all was good all the way home.

So, does this sound like an impeller blockage? I guess running at speed finally cleared it out if that's the case. There is a fair amount of debris on the water surface now (e.g., leaves falling from trees). Whatever the object was I guess it couldn't have been that big.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is exactly what happens when you have something in your impeller. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I concur. I have had this happen many times on PWCs as well. Full Throttle with minimal thrust acceleration then......wham! Full propulsion like nothing was wrong. Clean Out Ports are handy but don't let you get to every possible area around the impeller.

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. I thought that was what had happened, but I wasn't sure. Now I know! :cool:

Glad it cleared up. That would have been a LONG ride home if I had to limp home.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. I thought that was what had happened, but I wasn't sure. Now I know! :cool:

Glad it cleared up. That would have been a LONG ride home if I had to limp home.
Don‘t know that it would have helped this time or not, look at the pilot water outlets to make sure there is good / normal flow.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I would say the cleanout ports can reach roughly half of the blockages we experience. As much as we tought them as lifesavers when we have blockages, I find myself jumping in the water and pushing weeds out of the grate with my toes more often than not. You may never get to those blockages from the clean out.

Of course, this time of year fishing, nobody is ready to jump in the water. But for me, it's just easier in the summer to jump in, push the blockage out, rather than open up the cleanouts first.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just like everyone else said, sometimes it can be the tiniest piece of grass root, stick, fruit cup ect.. If you cant feel it by hand then do the reverse maneuver trick. it usually works really well for the No feel Ums. Also, the impeller sometime just takes a minute to chew it up, or you stop and it floats back out the intake. Is that something that can be done with the new boats with reverse bucket actuators?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just like everyone else said, sometimes it can be the tiniest piece of grass root, stick, fruit cup ect.. If you cant feel it by hand then do the reverse maneuver trick. it usually works really well for the No feel Ums. Also, the impeller sometime just takes a minute to chew it up, or you stop and it floats back out the intake. Is that something that can be done with the new boats with reverse bucket actuators?
For some reason I don’t think so…. I Think the engines have to be running for the gates to operate?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
For some reason I don’t think so…. I Think the engines have to be running for the gates to operate?

Just an FYI.... I have a 275SD and my buckets use servo motors that move the cables to control the buckets. When the engine is turned off, the buckets move to their fully opened position.... so the reverse trick can still work.

Also..... thanks to another member on the Forum, I purchased this plunger. Haven't had to use it yet but it is the perfect size for the clean-out ports. If a large chunk of sea grass gets stuck up against the grate, this will create pressure to push debris away from the grates.

Attachments