• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 depth finder

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm looking for something that will provide depth and not cost a bunch. I don't use the boat for fishing or anything, just want to keep an eye on depth.

So far I've found the Garmin striker 4, it's $109 at Amazon and looks adequate for my use.

Garmin Striker 4 Built-in GPS Fish Finder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017NI17HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_T3x6Ab4HT9QZS

Any better options? Also, should I be concerned with a transom mounted transducer? Read the the in-hull transducer threads, but I don't think this one has that type of transducer.

Thanks!

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was recently shopping for a fish finder/chart plotter it was strongly recommended to me to install a thru hull transducer. I was told the stern transducer will work however its accuracy can be questionable at speed due to the cavitation caused by the jet drives. One other point you might want to consider (and this is just my opinion) is a more versatile depth sounder especially if you intend to put in thru hull transducer. I say this because a good thru hull transduce will mostly likely cost more then the Striker 4. Mine was around 200 dollars.[flag]

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was recently shopping for a fish finder/chart plotter it was strongly recommended to me to install a thru hull transducer. I was told the stern transducer will work however its accuracy can be questionable at speed due to the cavitation caused by the jet drives. One other point you might want to consider (and this is just my opinion) is a more versatile depth sounder especially if you intend to put in thru hull transducer. I say this because a good thru hull transduce will mostly likely cost more then the Striker 4. Mine was around 200 dollars.[flag]
What did you go with? $200 isn't bad.

By thru hull do you mean a transducer you epoxied in the hull by the speedometer?

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not doing the install as I am not qualified. As to the exact cost not sure yet as it goes in this week. The transducer that I am having installed is the is a thru-hull by NAVICO B 60-20, 20 degree tilted element transducer. I am having it installed with my new 7'' Simrad GO 7. It will be forward on the boat's hull to get the best reading. I wish I could offer you more info on its exact placement, however others on the forum might be able to give better advice.[flag]

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up a Hawkeye depth finder and installed it a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t hard to install. There are a couple of write ups on here on installing the thru hull transducer and where to place it on the Sx190. It comes with the transducer and it works great. I never had a problem at any speed.

MissScarlet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up a Hawkeye depth finder and installed it a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t hard to install. There are a couple of write ups on here on installing the thru hull transducer and where to place it on the Sx190. It comes with the transducer and it works great. I never had a problem at any speed.
Where did you mount the transducer? Mine (2015 D10D model) stopped working on my 2015 SX190. Any photos you have would be great!

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where did you mount the transducer? Mine (2015 D10D model) stopped working on my 2015 SX190. Any photos you have would be great!
It’s a thru hull transducer.

MissScarlet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, mine is affixed with epoxy inside the engine hatch to the bottom of the hull. It worked when I bought the boat last year and stopped working mid year last year.

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, mine is affixed with epoxy inside the engine hatch to the bottom of the hull. It worked when I bought the boat last year and stopped working mid year last year.
Mine worked great the first year. Stopped working last year for the couple of times I took it out, and now it’s working again.

MissScarlet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a tech request in to the company and am waiting to hear back. Mine used to work too, then stopped and hasn't come back. Something is off and I would like to have some reliability. I checked the transducer and it's set solidly, so I'm not sure what is going on. Attached are photos of where my transducer was glued in.

Attachments