• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 Transducer mounting and Cobra Fins

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've seen some question on where/how to mount a transducer on a 19+ 190 since it is not standard with the boat. Here is a picture of my installation. Not perfect by anymeans, but tt was relatively simple with no holes below the waterline. I used a stern pad which sticks on the boat and attached the transducer to it. It stands out more in the picture because of the flash. The transducer works at 35+ mph well.

I also installed the new Cobra Fins especially for the 19+ reverse bucket. They perform better than last years fins in reverse because of the curve edge allows better sideways thrust from the new bucket. I installed them in the center holes to maximize the reverse control while still getting good slow speed forward control. I havent use JBP fins so I can't speak to a comparison.

Attachments

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think it looks great :winkingthumbsup" . If you start loosing the bottom at speed you may want to try and lower the transducer further. I wish I could bring myself to drill a hole in the hull to mount mine but I just can't... :nailbiting:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it looks great :winkingthumbsup" . If you start loosing the bottom at speed you may want to try and lower the transducer further. I wish I could bring myself to drill a hole in the hull to mount mine but I just can't... :nailbiting:
I didn't trust myself for in hull. I was close to the thru hull, but I came back to what I've done before.

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
How’s this working for you? Has it stayed on? What did you use to mount it to under the bracket? Also how does it work with side view? Thx

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It works great at any speed for depth finding. I haven't used it for fishing so I can't attest to side view. I used a stern mounting pad and screw into the mounting pad. Amazon.com: Stern Pad - Standard Size - Black - Screwless Transducer/Acc. Mounting Kit (not for Large 3D Scan Transducers): Car Electronics
Nice! I ordered a Hummingbird Helix 7 from a place and got a deal on it. Thought it might help when trying to navigate all the sandbars etc out on the NC coastline. Seems like it might do well mounted there. Thx again.

jetblueWI

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at doing this to my SX190 this weekend. What is the name of the fitting you used to pass the transducer cable through the stern (black scoop thing with white sealant)? I just realized I have everything to do the job except something to cover/protect the hole I'll inevitably have to drill...

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe it came with the transducer and is simply called the Transducer Cable-Entry Cover.

jetblueWI

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@mwalker4 Thanks for this post! As I mentioned in my previous post here, I tackled installing a Lowrance Hook Reveal 5 on my 2019 SX190 last weekend and used your transducer mounting location as a reference. Taking it out this weekend to test it -- hoping my results on holding the bottom are as good as yours. I couldn't find a similar cable cover to the one you used, but I did manage to find a good alternative: Blue Sea Systems Side Entry Cable Clam.

Also, note the fins in the pictures. I ended up modifying mine a while ago because of the reverse interference, as I didn't want to pay twice for the same product. For anyone reading this that is interested, I put the throttle in full forward position and used a pencil to mark where the reverse flow was getting directed on the fins. Then removed them and cut the offending material away.

lZ5FwxZXRbeckqVk3Dc8kg.jpgIin+IXhcSleSKj6IdJfsmw.jpg

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dash install looks great. The fins look great too, I'm a bit jealous. What did you use to cut them ? Paying twice was a bit hard to swallow on the fins, but not as hard as the price of the bow filler cushions. I've deleted the ribbon, added additional cleats, and added some misc seadeck pieces so I'm getting close to being steady state. I might tackle the L13 cone this winter, but we will see.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The newer super fins for the ak-19 models have the leading edges cut back but the early ones did not . He also has the basic model not the newer deluxe model.
Here is a picture of your steering mwalker4 You have the newer deluxe version with the planing surface , note you should reverse the small bolts in the side of the fins and place the nylock nuts on the outside of the fins to keep them away from the reverse bucket ribs. Your new super fins are also a bit larger on top.

1599185638875.png

Last edited:

jetblueWI

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dash install looks great. The fins look great too, I'm a bit jealous. What did you use to cut them ? Paying twice was a bit hard to swallow on the fins, but not as hard as the price of the bow filler cushions. I've deleted the ribbon, added additional cleats, and added some misc seadeck pieces so I'm getting close to being steady state. I might tackle the L13 cone this winter, but we will see.
I used a metal blade in a jigsaw for the rough cut and then a belt sander and a Dremel to finish the contour, it was maybe a 60-75 minute job.

I hadn't thought about the bow fillers. I just looked them up at yamahasportsplaza.com and... wow... >$500 for the pair? I'll have to hold off for a while on those.

As I'm sure you've already read about here, the L13 cone is definitely worth it if you're looking for a little extra out of the boat. I installed mine early this year and have been happy with the results. Shortly after, I did the ribbon delete (w/ the Riva ring) and replaced the air filter with the Riva Performance Air FIlter at the same time and gained top speed and reduced cavitation, as advertised. Funny enough, this also had the pleasant side effect of reducing engine noise, too.

Like you, this will probably bring an end to my tinkering with things, except maybe adding a second battery and fooling around with the stereo.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Couple pictures of the latest super fins on a 19 foot boat you can see the reverse openings are not obstructed you can look in and see that and I placed a stick against the outer surface of the nozzle deflector to show it does not hit the fin, so do not cut them I already did that and I offered a special price for the upgraded fins at 69 dollars a pair for people who wanted them..

Attachments

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not planning to cut the updated fins I purchased. I was planning to cut the original fins, even purchased metal jigsaw blades, until someone fortunately posted the picture of the new fins. I decided to purchase the new fins for $69 because of my questionable skills with a jigsaw.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You can sell those to anyone with the super ultimate system for 2018 or earlier boats, even the non keel boats and if someone wants to split a set of the regular ultimate fins and use those super fins on the outside of each nozzle they can do that also. I made the new style fins available so people who wanted them could just upgrade the fins on their existing system at a very low cost rather than buy a whole new set, hmmmmmm. That addresses the statement of you shouldn't need to pay for something twice , I will take that into consideration in the future.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok since you won't stop. You think you did me a favor by selling "upgraded fins" cheap. I think I had to needlessly pay $69 because you didn't design the fins correctly in the first place. I pointed the problem out last year and you argued with me about it. Then you corrected it over the winter and call it an upgrade. Not sure what you meant by "I will take that into consideration in the future", but I don't anticipate any future interactions.

HoosierDaddyAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mwalker4 everything holding up using the stern pad to install the transducer from this thread? I am looking to install using the same method.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks just right to me and as long you have full use at all speeds that's all that counts.