• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

SX192 or a Scarab 195?

Hey eggwhite, your last sentence is why I do believe I will end up with the Yamaha.

Sport14, so does the 192 really use a lot more gas than the 190, both have the same engines, right?

The 192 has the supercharged engine. It goes 4-5mph faster and uses almost double the gas.

The 192 has the supercharged engine. It goes 4-5mph faster and uses almost double the gas.
We loved our 192 but I have to agree she was a fuel hog.
Heelz23 good luck with your boat hunt. We enjoy our Yamaha but I won't tell you she is the best boat out there. Yamaha was the best choice for us. Whichever boat you end up with I'm sure there will be likes and dislikes but at the end of the day enjoy your water time regardless of what craft you are piloting.
BTW, the Scarab boats are very cool looking!

Thanks and I agree on the cool look....btw why did you trade the sx192?

Family space mostly.
We always seem to have several extra teenagers hanging out with us on the lake and the 19' was getting cramped.
Other than that the SX192 was a great boat

So would a full tank last you all day on the lake?

A full tank does last all day. The same reason I am upgrading on mine is when I bought it I bought it for me and to have 2 or 3 people on board. With 4 grown adults it does well, add more adults then you are into the throttle, it still performs decent but trying to tube with 5 adults on board and 3 in the tube it struggles. I realized that that would be a bit more common for me than I originally anticipated. The boat has plenty of room and to add, my adults are oversized ones as well, most are 200# +. It all comes down to the weight.

Hi @Heelz23 welcome, makes me envious seeing your SJ, just loved my freestyle ski but back problems put a stop to my fun.

Anyhow, I'm a Yamaha fan too and I purchased an SX190 last year, I have been extremely satisfied with everything, so much so I've upgraded to a 240. Everybody is different and opinions can be confusing, but if your new to boats and the 19 is roomy enough for you, go for that. As for brand, well you've answered that numerous times in your remarks ;):D.

@Heelz23 No one has asked yet but how will you use your boat? By that I mean, will you be having numerous people on it? Cruising around or doing water sports? Wakeboard or tubing, etc? All these play a vital role in finding the correct boat for you. Me and @Englewoodcowboy have almost the exact same boat and love it but there is limitations depending on the use of the boat.

@Heelz23 , Welcome to the site.

Unless there is a reason you aren't looking at the 23' and 24' boats, I would suggest you take a peek.
There are many low hour, well kept twin engine Yamahas on the market and they have more power, storage, room and aren't really that much heavier if towing is a consideration. For the price of a new, smaller, model you can get a lot more bang for your buck....IMHO. :cool:

Good luck with your quest!

@Heelz23 , Welcome to the site.

Unless there is a reason you aren't looking at the 23' and 24' boats, I would suggest you take a peek.
There are many low hour, well kept twin engine Yamahas on the market and they have more power, storage, room and aren't really that much heavier if towing is a consideration. For the price of a new, smaller, model you can get a lot more bang for your buck....IMHO. :cool:

Good luck with your quest!
My buddy just picked up a 2010 240sx with some speaker upgrades for 30k. 72 hours on it. One owner. So what @Glassman is screaming is a reality! Good luck either way on your search.

Nissan didnt make a 240SX in 2010!

J/k haha

Nissan didnt make a 240SX in 2010!

J/k haha
Haha, good catch!

@GiddYupJoe wow, that's a great deal! I think sometimes people buy things with every intention of using them more, but life gets in the way.
Why just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine found a motorcycle for sale that had been forgotten in a hanger. The original owner wasn't even sure of the model year. The bike was barely broken in and my friend practically stole it.
:cool:

Nothing wrong with buying used if you find something you like. I bet there are some amazing finds out there with little to no hours, not even broke in etc. just have to find them when the time is right... for me timing never seems to work out...

Thanks Englewood and bishop90, most of the use will probably be just me and the wife, occasional extra couple and kid or two and may get into wake boarding with it. Its been a few years since I've skied or knee boarded, guess wake boarding is about the same?

Hey Brit, yes the SJ is fun but is a heck of a work out, rode at the lake Memorial Day weekend and every muscle on me was sore :) Yes, I think I am stuck on the Yami and think 90% of the time the 19ft would be big enough, plus I dont want to sink more $$ into a boat you know with the new ones, but Glassman is right about the used market...thanks for the response!!!

Hey Glassman, thanks for the response and you are right, buying used I could get more for the money, would not be opposed to it but originally thought that may be a little big for my first boat :) I can back a pair of jet skis in the water but those boats with the double axle trailer look big....

Trailering isn't as freightening as I first thought it would be. After pulling the Waverunner every weekend last season I thought the boat will be scary but it's not. It's just a LOT wider, and my F-150 mirrors can't really see behind it. But I can still nail the boat ramp perfectly, no issues.

Docking is a different story altogether....I used to be able to place the Waverunner anywhere in the water with an inch precision... not so with the boat! There is no way to course correct. You guess, aim, and watch it play out. Hope you guessed right and it will come near enough to the dock so I can lasso the docking line. This is a rookie speaking with 1 week practice, I'm sure I will get better at it!

Backing the trailer/boat reall only gets easier the longer it is (to a point). If you can back the short trailer with your ski on it, you will have no trouble with a boat of any size. Now putting the boat back on the trailer that's a different story all together.

I really like some of the things Scarab did with their design. Te one thing that bugs me the most is that at my height (5'9"), I look into the top of the windshield on my Yamaha AR192 unless I flip up the bolster or hunch down a little. The Scarab didn't do that. I really liked the rear convertible seats in theory, but I feel like they are not executed well enough for me to love the design. The Scarabs are based off the older Sea-doo designs so I tested out my buddies 180 Challenger and did not think it handled forward nearly as confidently as the Yamaha does, but reverse on the Sea-doo/Scarab is far quicker in response than the Yamaha once you get the hang of the opposite directional flow. My buddies boat had the 215 HP Rotax engine in it and it is lacking a lot of torque compaired to the Supercharged Yamaha (I have heard power ratings are about 210-220HP). I can still pull up wakeboarders with a full compliment of 6 people in the boat while he cannot have more than 3. The newer Rotax engines are probably much better, but I am still incline to believe that the Yamaha 4-cylinder will have more torque than the Rotax 3-cylinder. The other big seller was the cleanout port. Rotax has a sleeve around their impeller shaft to preven things from getting wrapped around it, but I have found out on the water I have had more of an issue with weeds clogging the intake grate which would leave you jumping overboard to clean out the intake. You can do that from above on the Yamaha. The biggest seller for me on the Yamaha was the layout. The interior on the AR192 with the bench seat leaves far more room to seat passengers comfortably that the Scarab with it's captains chairs. I feel like the bow also is more comfortable for adults to sit in on the Yamaha, so overall, it just seemed like a more practical boat which is what was most important to me. I wouldn't mind if it had a little more of the Scarab flashiness though. I would definitely make a list of what you want to use the boat for and prioritize what is most important, then put the two to the test.

So is 33,900 a good price out the door for a 2015 SX192?

Back