• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX210 - Next boat

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at the SX210 as my next boat. I currently have the SX190 and have been enjoying the boat but will look in the future to move up to the SX210. With storage space and my Toyota Tacoma towing capacity - not looking at the SX240.

Looking for information/comparison on the TR-1 HO engines vs 1.8 HO (Reliability/Maintenance/etc). Also looking for input from owners who have went from the SX190 to the SX210 - Pros/Cons? Thanks!

Hard to tell how the TR1 will hold up in the boats since it's still too early. However @boudin recently posted some info about them from PWC renters who use the TR1's and it doesn't sound that great especially for the pump bearing failures How much use is too much? Keep in mind those are rental PWC's and often abused but if there is a weak link it's those guys who maintain and run the rental shops will know before anyone else. Boats typically won't see anywhere near the same level of use and abuse but worth noting there haven been issues, like anything I guess.

Last edited:
The TR-1 is relatively new, but is a marine specific engine with many features that make boat maintenance easy. It boasts high power density and small form factor.

The 1.8 is a thoroughly proven engine that has been in use for a decade. It hard to come up with another engine that comes close to approaching the combination of power, ease of maintenance, and reliability that possesses.

I would look very hard at the 212 Limited before I pulled the trigger on a 210. Under the most conservative conditions, the pair of 1.8L HO engines will have 85 HP on the TR-1's, and possibly as much as 115 HP depending on 3 or 4 star emission ratings. Also, the 1.8L HO's have very nearly the same fuel mileage.

The TR-1 is relatively new, but is a marine specific engine with many features that make boat maintenance easy. It boasts high power density and small form factor.

The 1.8 is a thoroughly proven engine that has been in use for a decade. It hard to come up with another engine that comes close to approaching the combination of power, ease of maintenance, and reliability that possesses.

I would look very hard at the 212 Limited before I pulled the trigger on a 210. Under the most conservative conditions, the pair of 1.8L HO engines will have 85 HP on the TR-1's, and possibly as much as 115 HP depending on 3 or 4 star emission ratings. Also, the 1.8L HO's have very nearly the same fuel mileage.

Definitely would prefer the 1.8L HO but the 212 limited is out of my price range. $10k more for the boat. I’m not making the purchase tomorrow but starting to look at my options.

$10k is a lot but if you are going to finance it’s only about $75 more per month for the 212L vs SX210. Someone said to me a long time ago you can always afford more boat than the gas to put in it. I use about $100 per weekend. I bought my 2017 as a left over and saved about 3k and got the extended warranty thrown in. So consider that I don’t know how many left overs they will have this year. I have talked to a few dealers that did not order as many of the 212ls this year. They both said something about the color combination. 1.8s will give you an extra 10mph but also have a lot more torque if you are pulling anyone or have a heavy load. Looking at the boat test numbers it looks like the use about the same amount of gas at any given speed because the 1.8 is turning at a slightly lower RPM. Also the sea deck is really nice.

$10k is a lot but if you are going to finance it’s only about $75 more per month for the 212L vs SX210. Someone said to me a long time ago you can always afford more boat than the gas to put in it. I use about $100 per weekend. I bought my 2017 as a left over and saved about 3k and got the extended warranty thrown in. So consider that I don’t know how many left overs they will have this year. I have talked to a few dealers that did not order as many of the 212ls this year. They both said something about the color combination. 1.8s will give you an extra 10mph but also have a lot more torque if you are pulling anyone or have a heavy load. Looking at the boat test numbers it looks like the use about the same amount of gas at any given speed because the 1.8 is turning at a slightly lower RPM. Also the sea deck is really nice.
Thanks for the input. Definitely something ill have to look at when i go to purchase!

Michael, I went from the exact boat you are in now (literally) to an AR210 and am extremely happy with it. It does everything I want it to and thought it would. I can pull any wakeboarder or tuber with 4-5 people on the boat with no issues at all. Sure it does lose a little on the top end but that has never been a concern of mine. If I wanted a boat for wake surfing I would have gone with the 212x, or some other boat that is better set up for that. I did prefer the tower and seating arrangement on the AR vs. the SX, but that is personal preference. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any specific questions you may have.

Michael, I went from the exact boat you are in now (literally) to an AR210 and am extremely happy with it. It does everything I want it to and thought it would. I can pull any wakeboarder or tuber with 4-5 people on the boat with no issues at all. Sure it does lose a little on the top end but that has never been a concern of mine. If I wanted a boat for wake surfing I would have gone with the 212x, or some other boat that is better set up for that. I did prefer the tower and seating arrangement on the AR vs. the SX, but that is personal preference. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any specific questions you may have.

Thanks Kevin! I was thinking, since you took such great care of the boat I got from you and I have no doubt you are doing the same with the AR210, how about you let me know when you’re ready to sell?!? ;)

We have really been enjoying the boat. Out on it almost every weekend throughout the summer.

Back