• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tablet media control?

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jet Boating wizards......lol I am looking to use some sort of tablet/tablet mount set up on the outside of the glove box that will connect to my radio via USB or 1/8 jack. I’m curious if any of you use a similar setup or have any pictures of how and where you mounted everything.

I’m considering one of those cheap 60 dollar Fire Tablets and just load it up with music, and turn the volume up on the radio and control the volume with the tablet.

Boat: 2017 AR195

Thoughts?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm working on this as project as well I plan to be a refurbished IPAD on Tanga.com for around $100 and put a life proof case on it and use one of the RAM mounts. I figure for the $100 I can just leave it on the boat and I won't feel to bad if something happens to it.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm working on this as project as well I plan to be a refurbished IPAD on Tanga.com for around $100 and put a life proof case on it and use one of the RAM mounts. I figure for the $100 I can just leave it on the boat and I won't feel to bad if something happens to it.
Exactly. That’s why I was looking at the cheap tablets that way if something happens I won’t be out 300 for a newer iPad

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly. That’s why I was looking at the cheap tablets that way if something happens I won’t be out 300 for a newer iPad
One thing I would recommend is pick a tablet with GPS on it. I plan to get one of the of the cellular Ipads even though I have no intent of hooking service on it but they have gps that doesn't require wifi so I can download navionics on to it and use it as a back up GPS as well.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/63784b14c587/apple-ipad-3-md366ll-a-16gb-wifi-4g-at-t-black-grade-b-free-case?product_list_type=event_sale&product_list_value=8271

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not just use Bluetooth? I have an old phone I use for playing music and gps.
Maybe it’s just my phone but it seems like I’m constantly having issues with my phone connecting to the receiver

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tablets are kind of a large device to mount for just music, I second the vote for using an old phone. Just my two cents.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Funny, I am looking at an Amazon fire tablet right now as I post this from my S7 edge. When I replaced my factory HU a while back with a Kenwood kmr-D765-bt, it came with the ability to be controlled by my and my wifes phones via bluetooth or usb with this ap.
Screenshot_20180214-074940.png
Screenshot_20180214-073502.png not detecting the radio, it a mile away now.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If your an iPhone guy... just get an apple watch and apple music. Pair your phone up, then you can control volume with the dial on the watch and tell siri to play literally any song you would want to hear.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your an iPhone guy... just get an apple watch and apple music. Pair your phone up, then you can control volume with the dial on the watch and tell siri to play literally any song you would want to hear.
That’s a great idea!! Didn’t even think about that!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That’s a great idea!! Didn’t even think about that!
It's really convenient because the watch is waterproof, so you can be floating in the water and still change songs/volume.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went through a trial and error process on this a few years ago. Blue tooth works but tends to drain the device’s battery faster so I ended up going the wired route and simply attached an extension to the aux lead on the stock head unit (I also installed blue tooth connection for my guests but it hasn’t been used in years). If you don’t already have a chart plotter I recommend that you use a tablet with gps functionality or smart phone, you can add navionics to either but the subscription for a smart phone will cost less than a tablet. As for mounting, if the device’s use is solely a music source you don’t need to mount it at all just stick it in the combing box or on the top of the dash. If you want to mount it there are quite a few ram mounts available, some are permanently installed with screws, others are more mobile and use a suction cup or sit in a cup holder.

I ended up using an iPad mini and iPhone in life proof cases. The life proof case is overkill for boat use but essential for waverunner use, in part because of the additional floatation available from life proof. Both the iPad and iPhone are subject to overheating so do what you can to keep them in the shade and if you can attach a charging cable to them especially if you are using it for navigation.

Here are some pics of my setups.

By the way, I upgraded to a 4th gen iPad mini and may sell the one pictured which is WiFi and cellular (gps) enabled. I also an iPhone 6 that I suddenly have no use for.
09C078E8-E7E8-4D8C-A4E7-846212A2D57F.png B0E9B4A1-3275-40AA-9F74-F2FBF479120E.png 9F0A5D0B-6F96-402D-9642-84826220679F.png
D590C0A3-4BEF-4B51-98F2-4BA10CD0F831.png

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went through a trial and error process on this a few years ago. Blue tooth works but tends to drain the device’s battery faster so I ended up going the wired route and simply attached an extension to the aux lead on the stock head unit (I also installed blue tooth connection for my guests but it hasn’t been used in years). If you don’t already have a chart plotter I recommend that you use a tablet with gps functionality or smart phone, you can add navionics to either but the subscription for a smart phone will cost less than a tablet. As for mounting, if the device’s use is solely a music source you don’t need to mount it at all just stick it in the combing box or on the top of the dash. If you want to mount it there are quite a few ram mounts available, some are permanently installed with screws, others are more mobile and use a suction cup or sit in a cup holder.

I ended up using an iPad mini and iPhone in life proof cases. The life proof case is overkill for boat use but essential for waverunner use, in part because of the additional floatation available from life proof. Both the iPad and iPhone are subject to overheating so do what you can to keep them in the shade and if you can attach a charging cable to them especially if you are using it for navigation.

Here are some pics of my setups.

By the way, I upgraded to a 4th gen iPad mini and may sell the one pictured which is WiFi and cellular (gps) enabled. I also an iPhone 6 that I suddenly have no use for.
View attachment 68818 View attachment 68819 View attachment 68820
View attachment 68821

Shoot me a message I may be interested. Thanks for the helpful post! That’s the type setup I am looking for

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For the boat with the polk radios they have an app that you can control everything.
Screenshot_20180214-094810.png

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd avoid the fire tablets. I hate those. They are a major pain to use compared to Samsung. I'll never buy another one.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe it’s just my phone but it seems like I’m constantly having issues with my phone connecting to the receiver
Do you have the USB connection on your boat? I use that. Charges and plays music at the same time.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have the USB connection on your boat? I use that. Charges and plays music at the same time.
Yes it does, that’s what I was thinking about using with the tablet.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered and received this off of Amazon. Haven't tried to set it up yet but it will be in the boat this weekend if all goes well with the weather.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0IQTE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasn't expensive and it fits my iPad pretty well. I'm actually looking for a a different tablet (have the iPad Air wifi only) to use with some type of GPS that will work on the water.
Let me know how that mount works for you! I was looking at that exact same one for the set up and would love your review/take on the functionality of it.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will do.