• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Tablet media control?

I have a RAM mount that I use with my Galaxy Note 4 via bluetooth. My standard phone has all the bells/whistles/doo-dads that I need to use on the boat. Our '17 AR190 has a "Marine Audio" app that pairs via bluetooth that lets me control the stereo........Anyway......My point when I started typing is that RAM mounts are hands down the way to go. They are a little pricey, but they freaking work, have excellent support, and dang near bomb-proof.

For the boat with the polk radios they have an app that you can control everything.

Can you tell me more??? Never heard this before? I just bluetooth into mine...

Any word on that mount?

Pick up the boat from storage this evening. Will set it up tonight and the plan is to hit the water tomorrow. I will take pics of it with the tablet and let you know how it works out.

So I installed the mount and it worked great with supporting the iPad even going through wake and chop. The issue was the iPad itself. It's a WiFi only version and even with a hotspot on the boat to establish the initial GPS position Navionics was not tracking my location or movement. Made the whole idea useless after a while. Think I need a Samsung Tab with GPS built in. 20180217_101450.jpg 20180217_101443.jpg

Gotcha. I’m gonna try my mini out today. It is the cellular version so we will see how it goes

So I installed the mount and it worked great with supporting the iPad even going through wake and chop. The issue was the iPad itself. It's a WiFi only version and even with a hotspot on the boat to establish the initial GPS position Navionics was not tracking my location or movement. Made the whole idea useless after a while. Think I need a Samsung Tab with GPS built in. View attachment 69003 View attachment 69004

Yes for the Ipad you have to have the cellular version for it to have a true gps. You do not need to have it hooked up to cellular or wifi for it to work but thats just the only models with a true gps in it.

@robert843 - I'm going to have to end up either buying a dedicated chartplotter for the boat or another tablet. I have been trying to make a decision for a while. I really like the idea of a tablet just for portability, multiple use, and most importantly cost so that's why I have been trying to make it work before I have to abandon the idea and submit to the dedicated chartplotter.

@robert843 - I'm going to have to end up either buying a dedicated chartplotter for the boat or another tablet. I have been trying to make a decision for a while. I really like the idea of a tablet just for portability, multiple use, and most importantly cost so that's why I have been trying to make it work before I have to abandon the idea and submit to the dedicated chartplotter.

Here is what I bought it is a refurbished Ipad Mini 3G model for $119 I bought the RAM Xgrip cradle and the xgrip tether to help hold the unit place and a life proofcase. I ordered this stuff over the weekend so I have not received it yet but I think I'm all in at around $180 for that stuff. I also ordered the cell phone sized Ram Xgrip so I can change out to just use my phone or my Garmin GPS Map 78SC if I ever need to or want to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-mini-1st-Gen-16GB-3G-AT-T-Unlocked-7-9in-White-Silver-R-D/201260887477?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

shopping

I have used the X-Grip on the Ducati for years. Works great even without the tether at speeds well over the posted limit. Great piece of kit IMO.

@KyleP - how did it go? Better than my experience I hope.

So I used my iPad mini and used the navionics trial. The usage was nice because changing the volume on the radio was much easier by just using the buttons on the side of the iPad. Biggest problem I ran into was, I tried using a suction cup mount that I had in my car with a magnet (scooshe I think), was totally fine at slow speeds but did not hold the tablet when hitting any kind of chop. Needless to say I will be ordering a more stable mount , Only other issue I had was in the bright sunlight it was really tough to see the iPad screen.

It would require you to tether with your phone but has anyone thought about installing an Echo Dot and having Alexa on your boat? Just a random thought.

So I used my iPad mini and used the navionics trial. The usage was nice because changing the volume on the radio was much easier by just using the buttons on the side of the iPad. Biggest problem I ran into was, I tried using a suction cup mount that I had in my car with a magnet (scooshe I think), was totally fine at slow speeds but did not hold the tablet when hitting any kind of chop. Needless to say I will be ordering a more stable mount , Only other issue I had was in the bright sunlight it was really tough to see the iPad screen.

Ipads are tough in direct sunlight. You have to go in and turn the screen to its brightest setting also a anitglare screen protector will help.

I use the ram Xgrip mount on my pwc with my iPhone. The mount is held in with screws and works great but I did manage to lose the rubber grips at the end of each arm quickly. If I had to do it again I would crazy glue them in place before the first use.

Cellular / gps enabled iPads (tablets) are the way to go for me. They can’t be used a depth/fish finders but a dedicated depth/fish finder can’t be used as a music source to to surf the web (i some of the areas I boat in). There is also no expensive transducer to buy or holes to drill in the boat with a tablet.

Two big problems with all three or four of the iPads I’ve used on my boat are over heating and glare. For overheating I simply try to keep it out of direct sunlight.my Bimini top is deployed a lot, when it’s not I try to swing the cover over the screen and / or throw a (damp) towel over it while at anchor or beached. For the glare, in addition to repositioning / retilting it I sometimes use a hood that I purchased initially for when I’m using the iPad as a display for my quad copters/drones. They are not perfect but they are inexpanesive ($20ish) and they do help.

Ram makes iPad specific mounts for the standard and the mini I had versions that held the iPad with a standard case and with a life proof case and float. Not sure what life proof is charging these days, but my iPad mini case was $100, the optional flip over / magnetic cover another $40 and the float another $50. This is before the cost of the iPad or mount. Worth every penny in my opinion. As I never worried about damaging my iPad. The float on the iPad was overkill but on the iPhone mounted to my waverunner it was a must as I don’t like to use tethers and have lost a handheld gps to the lake gods before.

It would require you to tether with your phone but has anyone thought about installing an Echo Dot and having Alexa on your boat? Just a random thought.

I have considered paying for a streaming music service several times. The biggest hold back for me is cell coverage on the lake. It's sometimes great, and most times terrible. So ANY internet connected device is problematic for me. It's actually a really good use case for satellite radio IMO. But the prices there and my experiences with selection makes it feel like a luxury I can avoid.

I'll also second overheating as an issue for us on the water. I've actually been working on a way to mount the phone somewhere OTHER than on the helm so it can be shaded during the day. It's overheated on me a few times (Samsung Note 4), and takes a considerable amount of time to get cool enough to come back to life.

For satellite radio I found its best to call them and request their 5 months for $25 starter deal. I’ve done this several times already and to avoid the auto renew at list price ($10 to $12 per month and they bill for a 12 month period) the key is to pay with a check if you can. I have not done it myself but may this year. If I do I expect activation to be delayed until my check is processed. The easier way to deal with this is just to be sure you cancel or renew at a lower rate after the initial term or live without satellite since you probably have your own music on your phone and your guests do as well. I’d miss satellite radio for the uncensored comedy on the water also no music management other than selecting the channel. We listen to the comedy channels on those rare occasions when we fish, we don’t catch much but often come off the water hurting faces and guts from laughing so hard.

Let me know if you guys find a solution to the overheating glare issue. Maybe mount somehow below the helm?

Tint the windows maybe?

My windows are tinted and if it helps I haven’t noticed it. I had a depth finder mounted below the helm near the throttles in my 230, it was fine there but was hard to read quickly plus it would not over heat in direct sunlight anyway.

My iPads overheat when the outside temperature is over 100 degrees even if the iPad is in the shade so I don’t think there is an easy solution but you can extent the time before it over heats or reduce the time it takes to cool down by covering the iPad with a damp towel or by putting it in the head compartment (assuming it is not also hot) when you are not using it to navigate. Also make sure the screen is off.

Back