• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tachometer not available 2012 Yamaha 242.

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
242 LS shows - gps speed, fuel, voltage , engine hours, water temp, water depth, trip odometer, latitude , longitude, heading, compass, elevation, high speed, mpg, cruise assist, aux battery and time.

tigernet11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am dealing with the Ar240....versus the 242s that you guys have. The pic shows the old tachs (circa 2010)...and the 2014s that were in the boxes look the same. The 242s gauges online seem to have a flat black background...and mine have a honeycomb black graphite look.

I bought the starboard on 8/15/21 from boats.net for $376. And the Port way back in July of 2019 from Babbitts for $345. Not sure about losing functionality if you try these in a 242. When I matched a 2010 gauge running with a 2014 gauge they didn't work properly. Only the RPM read correctly...none of the digital displays. When the tachs both were the same year the electronic displays read correctly.

Boats.net has the 2014 Ar240 tachs:

Port F3H-U8245-00-00 for $373

Starboard F3H-U8245-10-00 for $376

As far as I know you need to match the year of the tachs so you might want to get both and see.
Maybe you can explain to them away you want to try and if they don't work return them.

Babbitts had them for about $100 More.

Hopefully we can find a shop to just fix the gauges for $150 each...with a lifetime warranty of course ;)
Hey Penguin,
Did this fix work for you? We're all functions working once you installed the new tachs like fuel level, depth, nav coordinates, avg speed, etc? I'm about to go this route. My starboard tach went out but my port one is fine however of course, as you know, i'm left with few options.
Thanks!

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm still unresolved as well. I'm most likely gonna hand over a paycheck to boats.net for the 2 lt/rt 2014 242 LS gauges. (fix port RPM read out).

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Penguin,
Did this fix work for you? We're all functions working once you installed the new tachs like fuel level, depth, nav coordinates, avg speed, etc? I'm about to go this route. My starboard tach went out but my port one is fine however of course, as you know, i'm left with few options.
Thanks!
Hi TigerNet11, This seemed to work ....I can't say that I looked at each function in depth that I can remember. Both Tach's worked properly, and the LCD section lit up correctly. Most importantly for me was that the fuel gauge showed correctly. I'm going to PM you for something you may want to consider as well. .. which you may want to try first before buying the 2014 year model.
JetBoatPenguin

jetlagged

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone found a compatible tachometer that will work as a replacement for the OEM ones? I was told that the tachs are made by Medallion, and they certainly do have some that look nearly the same.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes seems like you need to buy pairs. I'm on the fence to get the 242LS 2014 or the ar240 pair for $1000 less.

Kennypeach

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
One approach is to upgrade both tachs to newer versions. I tried to buy a 2013 replacement to go with my 2010, but no luck. Others have bought both new same year tachs and it works. Probably some encoding occurs to make it so.... Good luck. If I could go all digital display I would as well.

Were you able to get rid of them 2013's I'll buy them from you. I have a 2014 242 Limited where I can't get tach's for

Kennypeach

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Yes seems like you need to buy pairs. I'm on the fence to get the 242LS 2014 or the ar240 pair for $1000 less.
Where you able to get this completed? You can't get them repaired so don't try. I sent them to the best place in Florida and they sent them back. I now have tach's that won't work at all. I have a 2014 242 Limited and I'm just stuck

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the number from the back of the tach ? I found a 116550-A starboard one. The mate should be 116549-A.

Last edited:

Kennypeach

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
To the group ..I just submitted a query to Circuitboardmedics in greenville.NC to see if they might take a shot at repairing older Yamaha Tachs.
If they can I think I have an old one that I can send them to see if it can be fixed. Maybe some of you with the broken tachs may want to try as well.
It.might be a new line of business for them. They do automotive and other types of parts as well.

They fixed my GMC Yukon XL old instrument cluster. About $200...but now it has a lifetime warranty. This week they also repaired my circuit board on an older and unavailable KitchenAid circuit board...$150 versus a new fridge or eBay part. Sometimes the board soldering gets brittle with age on these things...probably like our tachs.

Hopefully this may be a viable path for our Yamaha Tachs that are unavailable or insanely expensive. I'll report back what they say...or feel free to contact them yourselves and maybe send them your broken tach.

Did this work?

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where you able to get this completed? You can't get them repaired so don't try. I sent them to the best place in Florida and they sent them back. I now have tach's that won't work at all. I have a 2014 242 Limited and I'm just stuck
I bought two new 2014 242 LS guages from Boats.net. Cost around $1500 - They take a month to arrive. I think 'clinch up' and take like a sailor.

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are they IN stock? boats.net has been pushing my order back since April. Now July 1, I opened up my broken $1000 odometer and can see where the circuit board burnt out. Right where the water pooled up on bottom of casing. Yamaha should be ashamed of themselves.
I have not seen them in a few weeks. I don't know where they picked them up from but I grabbed a set and they were indeed new.

karminski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey... would any of you guys with old Tachometers that don't work have ones with good little rubber buttons? My Tachs are still working, but the rubber button's have all but disintegrated. Maybe I could buy your old ones if the buttons were good so I could try to replace my buttons ;)

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey... would any of you guys with old Tachometers that don't work have ones with good little rubber buttons? My Tachs are still working, but the rubber button's have all but disintegrated. Maybe I could buy your old ones if the buttons were good so I could try to replace my buttons ;)
ok $500 per button;) Remove the black disintegrating crap buttons and just put clear gorilla tape over the hole/tab - immediately. I think thats what contributed to my getting water inside on one really humid day.

karminski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll pick up some gorilla tape in the morning ;) Oh and checks in the mail.

t-tracks

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I opened up rear of my gauge and found the problem. ordered a new one different year gauge an the software is different. now do I try an get software change on the gauge or maybe I can just unplug the rear circuit board and swap with new one?

Attachments