• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tampa vs Palm Beach

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all. I've been in Stuart FL the past few weeks and brought my boat here. I've been hanging out at peanut island and the surrounding areas. I don't know if it's just the season or recent events, but it's crazy here. A lot of big boats that don't respect others, a lot of drinking, and a lot of craziness. I was considering to go more south and see properties there, but it's quite expensive. I was talking to some people about Tampa. So I've been looking at places there and videos on youtube. The point of this post is to check out opinions about Tampa, especially from people who have experienced the both coasts. Thank you!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not much around downtown Tampa. Beer can island is/was cool before going up for sale, but a small spot with a million weekend boaters. Egmont Key is where I would go, or you can anchor up at shell key by Fort Desoto. I believe there are some spots around St Pete and Clearwater too. Pics of shell key and Egmont from when we had the boat.
IMG_3460.jpegIMG_3425.jpegIMG_3171.jpegIMG_3172.jpegIMG_3176.jpegIMG_3181.jpegIMG_3187.jpegIMG_3189.jpegIMG_3928.jpegIMG_3927.jpegIMG_3938.jpeg

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not much around downtown Tampa. Beer can island is/was cool before going up for sale, but a small spot with a million weekend boaters. Egmont Key is where I would go, or you can anchor up at shell key by Fort Desoto. I believe there are some spots around St Pete and Clearwater too. Pics of shell key and Egmont from when we had the boat.
View attachment 218677View attachment 218678View attachment 218679View attachment 218680View attachment 218681View attachment 218682View attachment 218683View attachment 218684View attachment 218685View attachment 218686View attachment 218687
I'm looking at it on google. This looks more like my type of place lol I would like to anchor at quiet beaches and hang out. Peanut Island here gets crazy, my dad likes it, but everytime I anchor up at the sandbar it is congested with a lot of people. Few weeks ago there was a boat of 18 year olds on daddy's CC. They came after my dad arrive, they moved my dad's anchor, then tides changed and their boats were close. They wanted to fight with my 63-year old dad and I intervened to calm things down and then they wanted to fight me. Then there's large boats that cut you off or no problem swamping little boats with their wake. Just chaos. It has me missing Long Island where we can avoid other people and do my own thing. I imagine that Tampa has a lot more coastline and keys to hang out at so there's always a quiet place to anchor.

But anyways, what about places to stop for lunch? Nightlife by boat? In New York we had some restaurants to dock which have music and dancing.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm looking at it on google. This looks more like my type of place lol I would like to anchor at quiet beaches and hang out. Peanut Island here gets crazy, my dad likes it, but everytime I anchor up at the sandbar it is congested with a lot of people. Few weeks ago there was a boat of 18 year olds on daddy's CC. They came after my dad arrive, they moved my dad's anchor, then tides changed and their boats were close. They wanted to fight with my 63-year old dad and I intervened to calm things down and then they wanted to fight me. Then there's large boats that cut you off or no problem swamping little boats with their wake. Just chaos. It has me missing Long Island where we can avoid other people and do my own thing. I imagine that Tampa has a lot more coastline and keys to hang out at so there's always a quiet place to anchor.

But anyways, what about places to stop for lunch? Nightlife by boat? In New York we had some restaurants to dock which have music and dancing.
In the Tampa Bay, you have Circles and Fins in Apollo Beach, both have outdoor bars and music. In Tampa there is Rick’s on the River, never been there but heard good things. Down in Ruskin there is Sunset Grill and Beach Bar, never been by boat, only by car. I used the Williams Park boat ramp in Gibsonton when I would go in Tampa Bay. Centrally located to Apollo beach, downtown Tampa and Ruskin. The St. Pete pier is also a 20 or so minute ride across the bay from there and has Doc Fords Rum Bar with outdoor seating and music. Lots of bars, restaurants and shops you can easily walk to from the municipal docks.
Circles
IMG_1352.jpeg
St Pete Pier
IMG_4121.jpegIMG_4120.jpeg