• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tear in Bimini....has anyone repaired one?

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi guys!

Stacey in SC....first post in quite a while! I have a tear that has come up in the front section of the Bimini over the driver. It is in the fabric, not on a seam. It's about 8" wide, and extending a bit each time we open it.

We plan to get a new Bimini next year, most likely. Trying to get a last year out of this one.

Has anyone done a repair? I can sew, so may try that....or maybe a patch. Wonder if anyone else has already done this?

Thanks in advance!

Stacey in SC

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We haven't repaired the bimini but we have repaired the cover of the boat. On one tear Cindy was able to sew the tear back together and on another she had to put a patch over the tear. When the cover finally failed it failed at the factory seems, about the only things that held up was Cindy's repair work.

The thread we used was marine/uv resistant thread, I think we got it off eBay, which we still have plenty if you want any.

Also, instead of sewing you might want to try some boat cover repair tape

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'll check, Andy - thanks!

Yes, I figured I would try marine thread and/or a patch. I can't imagine tape really sticking to this fabric....

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I repaired mine using some "stick-on Nylon Patches" wife picked them up from Jo-Ann " fabric and craft store" I personaly dint think it would work, but lasted for over 3 seasons till I sold the boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used both tear aid on the visible side of the cover and iron patches from Joanne's fabric to repair on the underside of my last mooring cover. When the tears were bigger I just used the iron patches, they are cheaper and come in longer sections, and different colors as well. Some of it was a close match for my mooring cover. If your Bimini is blank the iron patch should blend in Nicely.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That is awesome, guys - thanks!!

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stacy
...for a rip that size I would take the Bimini off close the rip and cut two strip strips of iron on denim patch and iron on the top and bottom at the same time.

If you want, spray the top side of the patch with some 3M 302 and water repelant. Hey feel free to be creative. These patches come in different colors and you can cut any shape as long as it covers the rip about an inch all around.

I wouldn't call it permanent fix but it still is gong strong after 3 years and no plans to replace mine until it blows off when I WOT with my Bimini up- not a good thing!

Last edited:

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's my cover patching thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/patching-the-yamaha-cover.5593/#post-96284

Granted, this was a tiny hole compared to what you're dealing with, but I bet if you double-sided it it would hold up at least for the rest of the season - maybe beyond.

My little patch job is still holding on after 2 seasons of 150 mile round trips to the lake.

Just checked: Looks like Amazon doesn't carry it any more, but West Marine (among other places) has it: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood--boat-cover-repair-kit-10oz--6694293?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-6694293&adpos=1o1&creative=108421554964&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxLC9BRDb1dP8o7Op68IBEiQAwWggQPylbvYgf8eyTpeqy4u0MU8EteD2K_by1Yy5fiBRvOAaAkiG8P8HAQ