• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The dreaded throttle staying set discussion

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I along with many others notice when I let go of the throttle levers they BOTH dont say in the same position. One always seems to fall back slowing that motor and requiring attention all the time. On a long cruise in open water it would be nice to take your hand off the throttles without the engines coming out of balance.
I remember some people may have figured out where the flaw was in the linkage but I dont recall how it went.
Anyone here know what I mean?

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes, some one had a definitive fix for the problem, I know there was complete instructions on the other board, maybe someone or the original poster will share them again,

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe that the fix is to adjust the tension on the throttle cables. I've never done it but for an unrelated reason I bought a throttle synch (I think that is what it is called) and now I can set and forget the throttles.

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get it where I want it and then hit the cruise assist - keeps it at the same RPM that I set. I can even use the Cruise Assist to accelerate or slow down a bit.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Haha, I do that to, just forgot.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Waiting to hear your results but I have avoided that $100 piece of plastic.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I get it where I want it and then hit the cruise assist - keeps it at the same RPM that I set. I can even use the Cruise Assist to accelerate or slow down a bit.
That works for the newer boats but for the boats with the MR1 motors we do not have that luxery. @Speedling is the one that resolved this issue.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The throttle synch does help, it will keep the loose handle next to the tight one. Although cruise assist on the newer boats will keep the rpms insynch it does nothing to keep them together physically if that is what you are after. I got ts at a discount because it has a blemish That I haven't been able to find. It's works well when I use it but I have a feeling I'm like many others and forget to or just don't use it often.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Its been a while but I believe it was tricky to get the cruise assist going before the throttles came out of sync. I remember trying to get them matched and hitting the button it would work but it took a few attempts.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife has this problem to. I think it is because she is not keeping the rpms of each engine within 300 or so rpm of eachother. Also she may be trying to engage the cruise assist before she is over 3500 rpm on each engine. Cruise assist is great but there are a few conditions that have to be met before it can be used.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I remember as soon as I took my hand off to hit the button they would be out of sync so I had to mess with it till I got it close enough

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe that the fix is to adjust the tension on the throttle cables. I've never done it but for an unrelated reason I bought a throttle synch (I think that is what it is called) and now I can set and forget the throttles.
X2

I was hesitant at first but I'm very happy with Throttlesynch.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sorry but I think $100 for that piece of plastic is an ass raping. No disrespect to the makers, just my opinion

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm only speaking from older boat experience, but throttle sync wouldnt solve slipping problem unless just one throttle slipped and the other had enough tension to hold the one that slipped. Now on mine, only one throttle slips sometimes. This has never bothered me and I also have perfect pass, so if I want to cruise I just set PP.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks Derick, I would rather "fix" it then cover it up with $100

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would search YJB for the terms "Throttle Tension" or "throttle cable adjustment", etc. I'm sure there is string there covering this.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would search YJB for the terms "Throttle Tension" or "throttle cable adjustment", etc. I'm sure there is string there covering this.
Ronnie, I posted Speedlings fix a couple of posts up.