• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The real cost of owning a yacht

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know not all experiences are the same. But, I know someone who served aboard Ron Pearlman's yacht. . . . he is the 69th richest man in the world. Half the time it's just the crew on the ship headed to/from a destination to meet the owners. I am not saying the job is for everyone (or that I would even consider it). But for some it can be a great opportunity to travel and see some cool places.
Ron Pearlman is the 69th richest person in the world, what? Surprising but believable.

The mega yacht "A" was in SF Bay for a fuel $500K stop in early September 2014. I read that the owner flew to LA from SF (on his 7X7 jumbo jet) while his yacht with a full crew trailed behind. Here are a few pics. For context, I estimate that the black and silver boat tied off to the starboard stern is at least 40' long. It's anchored with cargo ships.

a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg

My wife and I went to second annual the SF boat show last weekend. They put temporary docks in McCovey Cove outside of AT&T Park, the Giant's stadium. As we boarded one of the most expensive yachts there, 60 or so feet long with about a $3M price tag, used, I asked what was behind the door on the stern. In response the rep. said the engine room and crews quarters. After a little probing, she confirmed that it was mostly the engine room and the crews quarters was a small room off to the side with two small beds in it, nothing like the state rooms in the yacht, nothing they wanted to show off.

My wife and I have different expectations for our next/last boat. It will be big enough for us to stay a few nights or weekends on and have all the comforts of home but not so big that we have to hire a full or part time crew to operate and maintain it. The last thing we want to do going into or while in retirement is completely fund the careers of others.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ron Pearlman is the 69th richest person in the world, what? Surprising but believable.

The mega yacht "A" was in SF Bay for a fuel $500K stop in early September 2014. I read that the owner flew to LA from SF (on his 7X7 jumbo jet) while his yacht with a full crew trailed behind. Here are a few pics. For context, I estimate that the black and silver boat tied off to the starboard stern is at least 40' long. It's anchored with cargo ships.

View attachment 16559 View attachment 16560 View attachment 16561

My wife and I went to second annual the SF boat show last weekend. They put temporary docks in McCovey Cove outside of AT&T Park, the Giant's stadium. As we boarded one of the most expensive yachts there, 60 or so feet long with about a $3M price tag, used, I asked what was behind the door on the stern. In response the rep. said the engine room and crews quarters. After a little probing, she confirmed that it was mostly the engine room and the crews quarters was a small room off to the side with two small beds in it, nothing like the state rooms in the yacht, nothing they wanted to show off.

My wife and I have different expectations for our next/last boat. It will be big enough for us to stay a few nights or weekends on and have all the comforts of home but not so big that we have to hire a full or part time crew to operate and maintain it. The last thing we want to do going into or while in retirement is completely fund the careers of others.
Sorry, I meant Perelman. . . . NOT Pearlman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Perelman

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey! America loop cruise is our dream too! They say nothing over a 40' boat though. Keeps cost down. Sorta. Maybe we will all be in jet cruisers by then!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would be an awesome trip to get the group cruising on. . . . .

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
25ish years away... is it too soon to start the "Loop Cruise" thread!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cruising or more likely sailing around the Caribbean or Mediterranean sound like a lot of fun to me.

But I don't understand the Great Loop. 5,000 miles, most of which is in muddy or cold water!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Good point... Which is why I am so much looking forward to going to the Bahamas asap! It would be really cool to do the great lakes and the gulf and East coast. I could do without the Mississippi! But to just say you have done it is something amazing in and of itself as well.
As far as owning a yacht, well, it probably will never happen.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well this is just getting out of hand! There is a new bully in town for the mega rich and his boat bigger than yours! Over a Billion to build and 20-30M to operate. accommodations for 36 people and 50-70 crew. Hard to comprehend. But I guess I really don't need to! Unless my Yamaha grows in size while in winter hibernation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2950206/Buoy-s-big-boat-World-s-largest-yacht-set-stand-222metres-long-cost-800m-commissioned-one-rich-owner.html

View attachment 16891
No rudder. . . . better get that bad boy some CobraJet's @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cruising or more likely sailing around the Caribbean or Mediterranean sound like a lot of fun to me.

But I don't understand the Great Loop. 5,000 miles, most of which is in muddy or cold water!
Plan your Med cruise carefully. Wife and I went on a Med cruise in 2012. 100 kph winds and 10 m seas all night a couple nights in a row. Our mid-stern balcony was encrusted with salt from the spray both mornings...and we were on the ninth deck.

Crew told us this was not unusual in the Mediterranean Sea.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, that's a tighter squeeze than I would like were I the pilot. Careful use of bow thrusters, a trained crew spotting, camera views on widescreen displays of all critical angles, and probably an "articulating keel" or maybe even Thrust Vectors XXXXXL or Cobra Jet Steering 10000 probably help a lot. :winkingthumbsup"

Impressive.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Makes sense... When your friends want to fly over to your yacht with their heli for a cocktail and yours is already parked on the helipad, what do you do!?