• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Texas School Shooting

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Like the NRA conference?
Another point of clear misinformation. The NRA conference was not a gun free zone except in the main hall while Trump was speaking. That was secret service policy, not the NRAs.

Should be based on the relationship but that doesn’t mean they’re the kind of people ready to gun someone down. My wife was a teacher and she’s probably not doing it, maybe somewhere in that hour in something botched as badly as Texas.
Curious about the LE perspective on that.
Agreed, I don’t think that all teachers should just be given guns or allowed to carry them, just appropriately trained and screened ones.

I read the other day about a ‘Guardian’ program where staff could volunteer, then go through psych evaluations and intense training before being allowed to - something like that is a more reasoned approach.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But didn’t what just happened there put a pretty big hole in the argument about arming teachers and school cops? Real cops did not do what they should have, a bunch of them together for that matter.
Do you think a teacher or some guy that wants to be a cop in a pretty safe and non confrontational environment would do any better, on average?
First off, the "real" cops that you're referring to, responded to a situation that was already underway and were immediately in a situation where they were reacting to what was already taking place, and it's becoming fairly clear that some incorrect command decisions were made. No, teachers should not be armed, because they're teachers! They should be responsible for teaching, not security, and should not be trained to respond to threats with weapons. Second, I'm not referring to "some guy who wants to be a cop..." I'm referring to former or retired certified and trained police officers or military members who are armed and on-site to prevent horrible incidents like these from taking place. Qualified individuals who are prepared to address a threat immediately. There are plenty of us around. Some guy who wants to be a cop in a pretty safe environment shouldn't be there in the first place.
FTno2yIVIAE6c39.jpg