• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

There should be a ramp with designated help

This thread is exactly why we decided to purchase a store n launch spot at one of the local marinas. 3-4 dock hands and an employee at the top of the ramp directing launches. Boat isn't loaded or passengers still in the vehicle, they direct the next boat inline to skip you.

A few years ago we purchased two Waverunners and would go to the local county ramp and it was an absolute mess. At this particular ramp, you couldn't launch unless a parking spot was open. Apparently that was not an easy concept to grasp. People launching and since no parking spots were available, boats would take up the little dock space available. My favorite incident was some clown who wanted to fight a guy who skipped him in line. The guy who skipped him had an empty trailer and was retrieving his boat which ultimately opened up a parking spot. It took 10 individuals to calm this guy down and explain that yes, he did get skipped but it also resulted in him having a parking spot for his boat and trailer.

There are two marinas near my home now. I have used both for over 10 years. Orwood has three ramps , two to launch and one to recover. Rarely is there ever anyone there to manage traffic and there are no deck hands. $20 to launch a boat or pair of skis. Almost always an audience / people eating outdoors at the Marina restarting, at the top of the ramps.

Discovery bay Marina is less than three miles away. Always someone managing the traffic/the line (no way will you get away with staging at the ramp there). Two ramps to launch, one is for them to drop boats in from the dry stack the other is for trailer boating members only. The third is for non customers of the Marina (that is, people who dont rent a wet biRuth or a spot in the dry stack). $25 or $30 to launch a boat or pair of skis. I prefer discovery bay now, i can do it all by myself but for the premium launch fee which only works out to $5 to $10, I don’t need to. Plus it keeps a lot of the dummies away, most aren’t willing to pay anymore than they have to to launch.

@1BadTundra, have you considered offering ramp etiquette classes on weeknights or perhaps volunteering to help at the ramp on busy weekends?
I have offered to help in the past... more times than not, it results in someone feeling insulted, and on occasion wanting to start a fight over it. If I knew it would speed things up, I'd be more than willing to volunteer my services.

I have offered to help in the past... more times than not, it results in someone feeling insulted, and on occasion wanting to start a fight over it. If I knew it would speed things up, I'd be more than willing to volunteer my services.
This past weekend, myself and another member were trying to help a couple that picked up their brand new 195S get into their slip. After 30 minutes of trying to help the husband, he stood up and walked to the bow...the wife got up, listened to what everyone was saying and docked like shed been doing it for years. As we walked to our camp site he was yelling to her about how she embarrassed him and made him look bad.
Fast forward to the next day they were pulling the boat to the launch for recovery, she yelled and asked for help right away, he stormed off. Egos and pride aside when it comes to safety and learning.

This past weekend, myself and another member were trying to help a couple that picked up their brand new 195S get into their slip. After 30 minutes of trying to help the husband, he stood up and walked to the bow...the wife got up, listened to what everyone was saying and docked like shed been doing it for years. As we walked to our camp site he was yelling to her about how she embarrassed him and made him look bad.
Fast forward to the next day they were pulling the boat to the launch for recovery, she yelled and asked for help right away, he stormed off. Egos and pride aside when it comes to safety and learning.
Some buddies of mine told me a great story about a launch ramp encounter that they were a part of.

They were at the dock while a ”then married” couple were launching a boat. The wife was in the truck struggling to get in backed into the water and the husband was yelling at her to “turn left, turn right” but drawing all kinds of negative attention on her. My buddies offered to help but the guy in the boats pride wouldn’t allow it. He said that “she’s got it”, kind of inferring that she has to learn how to do it anyway. However, the barrage of insults continued and he finally gave up. Told her to get out of the truck, and they swapped roles. The poor lady was so embarrassed because of how much negative attention he was drawing on her with all the yelling. After he launched the boat, he left his wife on the dock holding a dock line with his final demeaning comment. “Just stand here and hold this line, don’t touch anything else or you might screw that up too”. So as instructed, she stood there. after he drove away to park the truck and trailer (which the parking lot was several minutes away), my buddies noticed that the boat was taking on water. They told the wife, that it looked like the boat was sinking, maybe her husband forgot the drain plug or something. She refused any help and simply looked over at them and replied, you heard the man, “just stand here and hold this dock line”. So when the man returned to find their boat with the engine compartment half filled with water she simply handed him the dock line and said “here’s your boat” and walked away.

Some buddies of mine told me a great story about a launch ramp encounter that they were a part of.

They were at the dock while a ”then married” couple were launching a boat. The wife was in the truck struggling to get in backed into the water and the husband was yelling at her to “turn left, turn right” but drawing all kinds of negative attention on her. My buddies offered to help but the guy in the boats pride wouldn’t allow it. He said that “she’s got it”, kind of inferring that she has to learn how to do it anyway. However, the barrage of insults continued and he finally gave up. Told her to get out of the truck, and they swapped roles. The poor lady was so embarrassed because of how much negative attention he was drawing on her with all the yelling. After he launched the boat, he left his wife on the dock holding a dock line with his final demeaning comment. “Just stand here and hold this line, don’t touch anything else or you might screw that up too”. So as instructed, she stood there. after he drove away to park the truck and trailer (which the parking lot was several minutes away), my buddies noticed that the boat was taking on water. They told the wife, that it looked like the boat was sinking, maybe her husband forgot the drain plug or something. She refused any help and simply looked over at them and replied, you heard the man, “just stand here and hold this dock line”. So when the man returned to find their boat with the engine compartment half filled with water she simply handed him the dock line and said “here’s your boat” and walked away.
That is absolutely perfect. Well done lady!

I suspect that helper(s) with signs offering to back the truck or launch / retrieve the boat would be more welcomed before the owner gets in trouble than after. Even if the owner is capable of launching and retrieving on their own having someone to operate the truck or boat would speed up many launches.

I suspect that helper(s) with signs offering to back the truck or launch / retrieve the boat would be more welcomed before the owner gets in trouble than after. Even if the owner is capable of launching and retrieving on their own having someone to operate the truck or boat would speed up many launches.
Like a valet service... That would be awesome

Dealt with that ramp nonsense for a year. Actually saw a husband and wife duking it out with another husband and wife.
Wet slip is the way to go.

DF41C6EC-6C5E-452E-947E-5B60FE56BBCE.jpeg

Wet slip wouldn't work out for us unfortunately, since we boat all over the place and there are so many bodies of water around here and the Great Lakes. Although everytime I drive by the Marina's on the way to the launch I see how nice it would be.

Unfortunately, I may take a bit longer launching my boat because I have to back it in, and tie it up at the dock. My wife cannot backup the trailer yet. I don’t power my boat off/on because the water is shallow and it’s not allowed at most launch ramps. I do however, have my boat prepped before approaching the ramp. If the ramp is not busy, (empty) I will leave my boat buckles on because the ramps are so damn steep right now. They disconnect quickly so I’m not really taking any extra time. I’d rather be safe than worry about some ass hat that’s in a hurry.

I think having dozens of people gawking and drunkenly hollering would make me nervous. Thank goodness my main launch site is slow. We had a sail boat we would launch and because of a insulated electric wire above ramp you had to put boat in water than raise the mask, which was really not that quick. Couldn't imagine doing that with a audience.

Unfortunately, I may take a bit longer launching my boat because I have to back it in, and tie it up at the dock. My wife cannot backup the trailer yet. I don’t power my boat off/on because the water is shallow and it’s not allowed at most launch ramps. I do however, have my boat prepped before approaching the ramp. If the ramp is not busy, (empty) I will leave my boat buckles on because the ramps are so damn steep right now. They disconnect quickly so I’m not really taking any extra time. I’d rather be safe than worry about some ass hat that’s in a hurry.
We do the same, ....the launch is very strict about powering on and off. Its a shallow walk lane on the dock. We have the plugs in, battery on, emergency chain and winch connected but buckles off... I drop in and wife walks it back...

We didnt go out until Monday and left to get to the marina a little later than normal. It's a public ramp but generally not busy.

Enter club kayak. I didnt count, but there were at least 15. They were using the boat ramp as their personal play area. There are two ramps and one was completely blocked with 2 canoes turned perpendicular. The other side had a teen floating and a 4 and 5 year old playing in the water. ON THE RAMP, UNSUPERVISED.

I gave some mean mugs to the "adults" but not one seemed to understand the many errors. Knowing that I wasnt going to be received well, I sent the wife in. They moved a couple kayaks and left the kids to play ON THE RAMP.

The thing that is annoying, is 1) not sure if the public ramp was staffed. It usually is and they should have stepped in to correct this. 2) the club could have easily setup camp literally 40ft away from the ramp and wouldnt have bothered a soul. There is a short beach, tide dependant. I guess they saw the no swimming signs at the beach and didnt see them at the ramp. Stupid. I believe they put no swimming signs up because there is no lifeguard and that limits liability.

At my local ramp kayaks get zero respect from me. They have their own ramp around the corner (same park). I haven't had to but I will back right down to where your kayak is. Jet Skis are slightly above that.... they are by far the worst.

We didnt go out until Monday and left to get to the marina a little later than normal. It's a public ramp but generally not busy.

Enter club kayak. I didnt count, but there were at least 15. They were using the boat ramp as their personal play area. There are two ramps and one was completely blocked with 2 canoes turned perpendicular. The other side had a teen floating and a 4 and 5 year old playing in the water. ON THE RAMP, UNSUPERVISED.

I gave some mean mugs to the "adults" but not one seemed to understand the many errors. Knowing that I wasnt going to be received well, I sent the wife in. They moved a couple kayaks and left the kids to play ON THE RAMP.

The thing that is annoying, is 1) not sure if the public ramp was staffed. It usually is and they should have stepped in to correct this. 2) the club could have easily setup camp literally 40ft away from the ramp and wouldnt have bothered a soul. There is a short beach, tide dependant. I guess they saw the no swimming signs at the beach and didnt see them at the ramp. Stupid. I believe they put no swimming signs up because there is no lifeguard and that limits liability.
The kayaks and paddle boards are out of control here too. They like to go out around dusk on busy days to see if they can get themselves killed and ruin some boaters life for hitting them because they’re extremely difficult to see and they think their rights will protect them from a 5,000lb boat.

I yelled at some weaving in and out of the boats launching and recovering the last time we went out. First time I’ve ever felt the need to do that.

Back