• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

There should be a ramp with designated help

I dunno, I feel really in the minority here. Like, by a LONG shot. I don't have any of these feelings of aggravation, angst, or otherwise bad vibes. Even on the busiest and shittiest of ramps. I've come off the water on the Ohio, in a thunderstorm, after a 4th of July celebration downtown, and never really been upset. Sure there are people that are ill prepared and causing an issue. Sure we had to wait longer in the water, on a boat that has a giant lightning rod bolted to the top of it. It sucked. But what am I going to do about it? Yell? Get pissed off and make a scene? I was new once, I get it. I try to be over prepared, but sometimes I forget stuff. Hell, I've even had really bad days where I didn't even get the boat in the water because of mechanical, human, or other factors.

Point being, I think it's safe to say we've all been there, and a little patience goes a LONG way in reducing ones blood pressure, anxiety, and overall stress levels. Isn't that why we're there anyway?

Boat ramp etiquette is lacking all over. At orwood there are sometimes people who are camped out on the side of the ramp with signs (e.g. rating 1 to 10 or “back up”, “try again”, “will do it for beer”. It doesn’t help that there is a restaurant with patio seating at the top of the ramps, alway an audience sometimes a big one. This is not a problem unless you are a rookie or just having a bad day.

I’ve seen many fights, some physical, between boaters at the ramp, sometimes between couples. Rarely do I see anyone offer to help and when I’ve tried I usuallythe machismo response of “F that, I’ve got this.” Now I just wait until I’m asked and double / triple check things while I’m waiting to launch or recover. I dare not offer help to women if my wife is around unless she suggests that I do. No need for me to get in a fight with her at the ramp before the day starts or as it ends. Recreational Boating is supposed to relieve stress not cause it.

I dunno, I feel really in the minority here. Like, by a LONG shot. I don't have any of these feelings of aggravation, angst, or otherwise bad vibes. Even on the busiest and shittiest of ramps. I've come off the water on the Ohio, in a thunderstorm, after a 4th of July celebration downtown, and never really been upset. Sure there are people that are ill prepared and causing an issue. Sure we had to wait longer in the water, on a boat that has a giant lightning rod bolted to the top of it. It sucked. But what am I going to do about it? Yell? Get pissed off and make a scene? I was new once, I get it. I try to be over prepared, but sometimes I forget stuff. Hell, I've even had really bad days where I didn't even get the boat in the water because of mechanical, human, or other factors.

Point being, I think it's safe to say we've all been there, and a little patience goes a LONG way in reducing ones blood pressure, anxiety, and overall stress levels. Isn't that why we're there anyway?

I get it - and I have become a lot better - not to your level yet.

I just need a flyer to hand out to some of these guys. "Please check this out before launching your boat again".

The kayaks and paddle boards are out of control here too. They like to go out around dusk on busy days to see if they can get themselves killed and ruin some boaters life for hitting them because they’re extremely difficult to see and they think their rights will protect them from a 5,000lb boat.

I yelled at some weaving in and out of the boats launching and recovering the last time we went out. First time I’ve ever felt the need to do that.

"You can be right that you should have the ability to do this, and you can also be DEAD right. You're putting yourself in danger, as others may not notice you in time to save your life. Your safety is your responsibility as well"

I doubt many here actually make a scene with someone that’s just inexperienced.

You can tell the difference between someone that’s trying and just honestly struggling vs someone that’s an entitled jackass and the latter sounds like it’s what pisses everyone off.

I don’t mind a little wait but when property damage or safety start becoming an issue it’s hard to be so zen.

You can tell the difference between someone that’s trying and just honestly struggling vs someone that’s an entitled jackass and the latter sounds like it’s what pisses everyone off.

I don’t mind a little wait but when property damage or safety start becoming an issue it’s hard to be so zen.

On Sunday I watched a guy pull a truck out, stopped in the middle of the landing. Like 20 feets out of the ramp and turned towards the exit (blocking exit and entrance) This stopped a guy from launching and 2 others from retrieving. He got out stumbling, obliviously drunk. I am really surprised no one said anything to them.

Pretty sure LEOs could increase their revenue significantly just by watching for people be drunk at the ramp.

Over this last weekend, Lakeway's finest were parked at the top of the ramp talking to every person before they came down the ramp, me included.
"Are you a Lakeway resident, may I see your Driver's License please?" "What is your business here today? (no boat behind us as we are in a slip)" "Do you know that there is limited parking below"? "Can you keep your vehicle out of the No Parking areas and not obstruct the turn around area or the ramp?" "You are free to go".

It was a pretty low hassle weekend, although I saw a lot of people get turned away from the boat ramp as we were down on the dock getting ready for departure. Happened all day Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Some buddies of mine told me a great story about a launch ramp encounter that they were a part of.

They were at the dock while a ”then married” couple were launching a boat. The wife was in the truck struggling to get in backed into the water and the husband was yelling at her to “turn left, turn right” but drawing all kinds of negative attention on her. My buddies offered to help but the guy in the boats pride wouldn’t allow it. He said that “she’s got it”, kind of inferring that she has to learn how to do it anyway. However, the barrage of insults continued and he finally gave up. Told her to get out of the truck, and they swapped roles. The poor lady was so embarrassed because of how much negative attention he was drawing on her with all the yelling. After he launched the boat, he left his wife on the dock holding a dock line with his final demeaning comment. “Just stand here and hold this line, don’t touch anything else or you might screw that up too”. So as instructed, she stood there. after he drove away to park the truck and trailer (which the parking lot was several minutes away), my buddies noticed that the boat was taking on water. They told the wife, that it looked like the boat was sinking, maybe her husband forgot the drain plug or something. She refused any help and simply looked over at them and replied, you heard the man, “just stand here and hold this dock line”. So when the man returned to find their boat with the engine compartment half filled with water she simply handed him the dock line and said “here’s your boat” and walked away.

I honestly hope that she got the boat in the divorce! :D

Jim

Whats nice around here is the DNR is managing all the public State Owned launches now. They aren't letting cars in that are not towing unless there is car only parking spots. They are also managing traffic and staging.

I get it - and I have become a lot better - not to your level yet.

For me, this isn't just a launch ramp problem, it's an everywhere problem. People are far less concerned with others than they are with themselves, just in general.

My blood pressure, heart rate, stress level, and general anxiety lowered as I learned to do what I can, affect what I have control over, and be patient with the rest. I wasn't always this way, it took work. Honestly, the boys took a lot of it out of me. No matter how much I get upset, they're little boys and they're gonna do dumb shit. Just expect everyone to be a toddler, and be surprised and delighted when they're not :D

For me, this isn't just a launch ramp problem, it's an everywhere problem. People are far less concerned with others than they are with themselves, just in general.

My blood pressure, heart rate, stress level, and general anxiety lowered as I learned to do what I can, affect what I have control over, and be patient with the rest. I wasn't always this way, it took work. Honestly, the boys took a lot of it out of me. No matter how much I get upset, they're little boys and they're gonna do dumb shit. Just expect everyone to be a toddler, and be surprised and delighted when they're not :D

As Spider-Mans girlfriend once said "Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed."

I get that. I've offered to help a few times along the way. I've also purposefully avoided the mess to prevent myself from adding to the drama. Typically, if the situation is already heated, I'll just walk away and let them figure it out. If they're confused, flustered, or otherwise just having a hard time, and seem open to some help, I'll offer. Typically a quick "How's it going" or similar start to the interaction will flush out the details real quick.

You're exactly right, you can spot the difference between inexperience and entitlement from a mile away.

With all that said, I'll throw my little rant in here as well......I can't stand the videos of just endless "people having a bad day at the ramp". I find no joy in watching others struggle, and the source of the struggle (self induced or not) doesn't even play into that. I just don't get it.

As Spider-Mans girlfriend once said "Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed."
Yea, but with a dash less cynicism.....Toddler don't realize they're a basket case of a human, they're just happily bumbling about, often times landing themselves in perilous situations. I'm convinced some adults never moved past that, and that's OK.

Yep, you are in the minority but I agree with you. I gave up being upset at the ramp years ago. What I do now is help people. I was at the ramp by myself the other day and a guy comes in blocking the side I needed. He was obviously inexperienced and it was windy and rough as hell. I knew he would have trouble so I pulled off the shoes and waded in and helped him get his boat on the trailer and out. It actually took less time with me helping him and he appreciated it.

Whats nice around here is the DNR is managing all the public State Owned launches now. They aren't letting cars in that are not towing unless there is car only parking spots. They are also managing traffic and staging.
You gotta love the small cars parked in the trailer spots, especially when trailer parking is already at a premium.

You gotta love the small cars parked in the trailer spots, especially when trailer parking is already at a premium.

I saw 4 cars in a row parked this the other day. If there wasn't spots, I would have blocked all of them in lol

So I thought bad ramp behavior was just out here. Guess I have that to look forward to when I return. Ditto on the cars parked in trailer spots. I think the guy that took the cake for me happened last year. Besides running boot-leg tours out of his SeaRay he came in to the ramp, dislodged one group of customers and then remained tied up as he waited to be paid and continued to remain tied up as he waited for his next group to arrive. All this was going on late afternoon when everyone was coming in. I was hot as were the others stacked up with me, posted a video about him...

I saw 4 cars in a row parked this the other day. If there wasn't spots, I would have blocked all of them in lol
My first thought is to put a tow strap on them and haul them out. but maybe a friendly call to the park service or police would be the way to go.

So I thought bad ramp behavior was just out here. Guess I have that to look forward to when I return. Ditto on the cars parked in trailer spots. I think the guy that took the cake for me happened last year. Besides running boot-leg tours out of his SeaRay he came in to the ramp, dislodged one group of customers and then remained tied up as he waited to be paid and continued to remain tied up as he waited for his next group to arrive. All this was going on late afternoon when everyone was coming in. I was hot as were the others stacked up with me, posted a video about him...

Yeah I am guilty of this (except I am paid before hand) It's part of running the business. I try to tie up to the loading dock if there is one available, but if there isn't not much choice but to sit and wait.

Everybody seems to have slightly different rules and customs. Those rules seem to change based on day of week and time of day.

Where I launch you really need to have a person operating the boat and one in the truck during the weekends. People retrieving go into the same line as launching. So if someone is operating both the boat and truck and tie off in a lane they block a boat lane for a while. Bad things will likely be said. In some places, people retrieving go in front of those launching. If you did that here it might get ugly.

I'm still working on my emotional intelligence so I steer clear of most weekends ?

Back