• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Things that make you go humm BRP Rotax 250-hp engine

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The boats / hulls are new but the engines are not. Does the rated power really matter if the power isn't used effectively? Remember this video of a 230 wake with 430HP racing along side a AR 230 with 320HP, even with 110 HP more the seadoo and Yamaha were about even.

Contrast that to my '06 Waverunners, one with 140HP and the other with 160HP, the 160HP Waverunner is noticeably faster off the line and about 7 MPH faster at the top end.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Id have to disagree with you @KXCam22. Look at the motorcycle industry for example. Yamaha, Kawi, Honda and Suzuki are getting 120+hp stock out of their 600cc super sports. These things are SCREAMING at 15000 rpms. These motors have proven to be extremely reliable - almost bulletproof. The current crop of single cylinder 450's MXers are pumping out 50+ hp stock. Forget about the 1000cc liter bikes - they're all around 190hp and some are pushing close to 200hp stock.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I will have to say, that an engine that has it's basic characteristics from almost a decade ago really shouldn't be out doing the newest latest engines with more displacement.
I would certainly think that something is exaggerated there.
Thanks for this useful response Speedy

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to make the debate equal, the early Yamaha supercharger clutches were made out of chocolate, I've read, so not factual, Yamaha are on their 4th gen clutches.

I know many Waverunner FZR/S owners have had total engine strip down and re-build because the clutch let go and fragments went into the engine. I've not heard of any 192 engine problems but the SHO engine was only introduced to the boats in 2012, where Waverunners have had them since 08. Plus jet ski engines have to tolerate a different spectrum of use.

B_Mutter

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
@ScarabMike I'm sorry if any of my comment came off as negative. I get the chance to sell against other brands everyday and have points of interest that I make customers aware of. We do it right in our own showroom with both Yamaha and Four Winns. I am an extreme lover of the Yamaha boats and will talk someone right out of a sterndrive or other jet boat as much as I can. Our boats are not for everyone and I personally am excited that there are other jet boats in the market place again. It tells the other brands that this isn't a fad. Jet boats are here to stay and are kicking @ss in the market share so look out!! Scarab is made by the same people that make Four Winns. It was designed by the beloved Christoff there..... (not a fan of his) and there are a ton of similarities in their construction. Same with Glastron.

Again I am sorry for getting into the Yamaha vs BRP debate as that is not my intention on this forum. I am here to help with questions and get you guys as much information as I can about the boats. Twin City Marine was started by my Grandfather 60years ago and I am the 3rd generation to be apart of this. I have grown up on boats and love them all. I just am a little biased about the ones that I deal with on a regular basis LOL!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't rely too much on the numbers....QUOTE]
Maybe I should have left it at that. I didn't set out to denigrate any other manufacturer's product, just point out that they all have different numbers and so does the marine industry media.
I have owned and enjoyed all types of watercraft over the years, heck I almost bought a SeaDoo and I understand my brother in law just picked up a new Scarab.
If it floats I'm on it. They all have their pluses and minuses, "Whatever floats your boat" isn't just an old saying.:cool:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it floats I'm on it. They all have their pluses and minuses, "Whatever floats your boat" isn't just an old saying.:cool:
:thumbsup::winkingthumbsup"

Thats how I see it. Its still too early to pass judgment on models that havent been around even a year. I can tell you that my engine looks different than the Challenger I saw at the ramp a few weeks back. I would honestly give these things a couple years before I would bulk them in with the failures of the past.

Im a jet boat advocate. I was hurt by my stern drive/prop on my prev boat trying to keep it off my daughter. For families with little ones this is the way to go. Tons of propeller related accidents can be avoided, and lives can be saved by jet boats. There is a place for prop boats dont get me wrong, but they need to come with training, and some kind of licence.

Im new to jetboats, heck to boating as a whole. Ill leave the tech talk to the experts.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats how I see it. Its still too early to pass judgment on models that havent been around even a year. I can tell you that my engine looks different than the Challenger I saw at the ramp a few weeks back. I would honestly give these things a couple years before I would bulk them in with the failures of the past.
I want to see all Jet Boat manufacturers succeed. The more competition the more the manufacturers will innovate.

I am sorry that you were hurt by a prop but very glad that you were able to protect your daughter. I have a friend whose mother died and he was injured by a prop.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
While only one of my SeaDoos I've owned in my life has been powered by a current generation, supercharged engine, I must say that they have all been very reliable for me. I knew about the supercharger issues before I bought my RXT and I believe that proper care and maintenance will greatly prolong its working life. For these reasons, I purchased my RXT brand new. I did cross-shop Yamaha at the time and I found that I liked SeaDoo better and it was also much cheaper at the time (2009). Since I was purchasing new, I was able to properly maintain the engine from the beginning and there is no unknown. In my opinion both engines--Yamaha and BRP--have their positives and negatives.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree that they have made huge advancements in getting more hp out of engines and making them more reliable. However, the maintenance aspect is higher. My CBR900RR engine will last forever, but mainly since I can't ride it hard enough (on or off track) to tax the engine (without dying). My CRF450R race bike does have 50+ hp but it requires oil changes every few hours and has a piston change interval of 25 hours. I live in the land of 250hp snowmobiles. My point is that you can't get to extreme HP levels without a compromise somewhere. . Cam.

Ron and Renee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The boats / hulls are new but the engines are not. Does the rated power really matter if the power isn't used effectively? Remember this video of a 230 wake with 430HP racing along side a AR 230 with 320HP, even with 110 HP more the seadoo and Yamaha were about even.

Contrast that to my '06 Waverunners, one with 140HP and the other with 160HP, the 160HP Waverunner is noticeably faster off the line and about 7 MPH faster at the top end.
The numbers don't lie. I'm looking at a sea doo 210 twin 215s 430hp top speed 67 to 70 mph. Yamaha 212 twin 1.8s top speed 52 to 55. So there it is.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:thumbsup::winkingthumbsup"

Hey @ScarabMike . If it makes you feel any better, I spun a bearing at 40 hours on my 2013 Yamaha Limited....and Yamaha owners are not necessarily smart either....evidenced by the fact that I traded it in on a brand new 2015 Limited S!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The numbers don't lie. I'm looking at a sea doo 210 twin 215s 430hp top speed 67 to 70 mph. Yamaha 212 twin 1.8s top speed 52 to 55. So there it is.
Can you please point me to somewhere that shows those numbers on the Sea Doo? I have looked and can't find anything close.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

I had not seen this video. Interesting that the Yamaha had the bimini top deployed and was able to keep up. That is surprising.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you please point me to somewhere that shows those numbers on the Sea Doo? I have looked and can't find anything close.

Definitely not accurate. I'm pretty sure the recorded top speed on mine is 58. Not that I have a problem with that. I could see 60 completely empty, 1 gallon of fuel, and just me driving on a freshly waxed hull on a lake of glass, but that's a stretch I think.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on this boating mag article it says, "My test boat hit 30 mph in five seconds and reached a top speed of 53.7 mph with a pair of 215 hp, supercharged, intercooled Rotax 4-TECs."

seadoo.jpg

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Either way, i have always been a huge fan of the look of these SeaDoo boats...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The numbers don't lie? Did you see the video? The boat with 430 hp could only keep pace with not out pace the boat with 320 hp.

Do you have a video of the sesdoo 210 hitting the speeds you referenced? Seeing is believing. A 210 is a much lighter boat than a 230 wake so id expect a higher top speed but 67 to 70, hmmm. Is that Measured on a gps or the speedometer/dreamometer?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
70 mph will require a very light 21 footer with at least twin 250hp. Probably with a slightly modded 21' boat the 70 mph mark can be a reality in perfect situation.
I think for a 23 or larger boat with a couple people, a tower, and half a tank of gas 65 is pretty much the max we will see.