• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Thinking about a 2011 Tahoe or Yukon as a tow vehicle

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know if these come with tow package standard?

Nimrod dealer posts say things like "all ready for towing, has hitch" and the like. Do they have (do you need) a tow package with a 5.3, 6.0, 0r 6.2L V-8 in one of these? Other considerations?

I am not familiar with recent generations of Yukon/Tahoe and looking for input from those that are. Thanks.

I had a 2012 and it came with it. Not sure if it was dealer added or not though, but I seriously doubt you'd need anything more.

You can check the VIN# through the service dept. Of any gm dealer and see if the vehicle had a factory tow package installed. The tow package should include a trans cooler, wiring for a brake controller and the receiver hitch, some will have a lower geared differential.

My Denali did not have wiring for a brake controller, but you don't need that for these boats. It should have a hitch rated at 8,500 lbs or so and the standard 7 wire trailer wiring, but no controller. I did have the trans cooler (albeit was mighty small)

Usually the brake controller wiring is in the same run as the 7 pin plug bundle,on all that I have had the brake controller wiring is behind the left kick panel by the E-brake pedal it's generally just a two wire plug in that you can get an adapter to plug directly into your brake controller of choice. While not a total necessity I would much rather use trailer brakes in tandem with my tow vehicle if available.

In 2013 the brake controller is an option in the heavy duty towing package. As mentioned above you do not need it for our surge brakes. Even a base Tahoe with a 5.3 will have enough towing capacity to handle our boats. We were using my wife's 2013 suburban with the heavy duty tow package. Even with this package it is rated at 8500 pounds. The 5.3 will handle the task. My Tundra is rated at 9500 with no additional options.

My '13 tahoe has the towing package but has the 3.08 rear end with the six speed tranny with the 5.3 v8. It does just fine... I towed the boat from OC, Maryland to Columbus Ohio no problems at all. I use a 3" drop hitch with the sx 230 (2007) and it is perfect. I have towed across the state and trust me the tahoe will do just fine. Any more engine or even rear end combo is going to cost you gas money. I don't do major hills in my travels and chose to take i70 back from maryland instead of thru wva but all in all I think you will be fine with this setup. You will get faster response for backing inputs for turns than longer wheelbase 1/2 pickup or suburban / Avalanche with a tahoe which I like. Let me know if you want more details on my tahoe. I bought as cpo (rental I think) with 12k miles not quite 1 year old and love it.

One more thing I forgot these newer trucks come with computer where you can monitor tranny temperature from the dash.. I don't think I have a cooler installed and I never really taxed it temp wise even towing the boat back from MD in July

One more thing I forgot these newer trucks come with computer where you can monitor tranny temperature from the dash.. I don't think I have a cooler installed and I never really taxed it temp wise even towing the boat back from MD in July

That's great to know. I have a lot of confidence in the whole package but was unsure if there would be tranny temp issues without a cooler. I would rather have one with a cooler, of course. I will be towing around the upper Midwest / Great Lakes region...so I don't have to contend with TX/AZ/MS ambient heat levels.

Thanks for all of the info from the above posts. Keep the opinions /experiences coming!

What everyone else has said is spot on. I have an 09 Tahoe with the tow package (tranny cooler and trailer gain factory wired in) just rolled 110k miles and have had only one issue. After towing to Norris last summer I had to replace the front left wheel bearings. Not sure if it was towing related or just coincidence but have no other issues whatsoever. Good luck on your search.

I believe I found what I needed for info source. Surprisingly detailed tech info for a marketing brochure.
http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/brochures/gmc/2011-yukon.pdf

Looks like I might have to go for a Yukon Denali! :winkingthumbsup"
Denali is SHARP, but watch the $$ the interior on these trucks are nothing compared to the 15 model year tahoes, don't pay premium for yesterday's luxury (navigation) I do wish I had backup cam but I don't need it anymore)

I would wait on external cooler, I don't have or need one for my towing needs in Ohio/Kentucky, etc. my ramp is < 2 miles from my home. Additionally my bud @Coastal44 tows with GMC Acadia with his sx230 with no issues. With these boats i think it comes down to how much gas you want to burn in a daily driver. For me, I do fine with the 308 rear end (with only 4 wheel high) in central Ohio and get about 12mpg in city driving.

Last edited:
@GTBRMC , everybody's needs are different from how we load down the tow vehicle, to how we load the boat, to the terrain we tow over. If your going to go to the extent of buying a Tahoe or Yukon, get the tow package for sure. The tow package trans cooler is sufficient for up to the rated limits, and you can increase the limits too with additional items without adding additional cooling. But I wouldn't take a non tow package truck and use it without a cooler...you know those transmissions cost a load. And any issue you have will come years and miles down the road. You have been around the forum long enough to know that guys claim that an S10 pickup does fine too. Whatever package you settle on at that level, make sure you have a tow package, or go add one. The Tahoe and Yukon are the same as a Silverado/Sierra half ton pickup and in either, you will be fine towing any of the Yamahas. It also comes with a tow/haul setting for the transmission. At highway speeds in hilly terrain, will be the only place you know the boat is back there. But you will be able to tell more if you don't set for tow, then your transmission will be hunting constantly, and that can cause premature wear as well. Good luck with the search and enjoy that new truck! Yes, that Yukon is a TRUCK!

@txav8r I checked my glovebox and found out I have the tow package on my tahoe. To Mel's point, always use Tow mode when towing. The 5.3 has plenty of oomph to pull our boats.

I appreciate all the input, fellas. I have found in extensive searching very few Yukons advertised as having the tow package or having the oil cooler. The Denali trim level includes the tow package with the cooler (at least it did on the 2011s) so I know each one I look at includes it - the main reason I have keyed in on those.

Regarding the '15 vs the '11 or '12 (my target range), it's all about the $$$. There is no way I will be dropping $46K (very basic model Yukon) - $78K (loaded Yukon) on a brand new tow vehicle. I cannot afford that plus I prefer to let someone else eat that depreciation. Also, I "run" a base model Civic on a lease as my daily driver - the tow vehicle will only be used for towing, winter weather driving, and the occasional trip with my son's hockey team. I hope to be able to use this tow vehicle for many years.

I got almost five years out of my Durango, mostly daily driving + towing, which is less than I expected. Of course, it is a Dodge. No offense to you Mopar guys, but this was my third Dodge and will be my last.

@txav8r LOL on the S-10. I couldn't agree more on the proper way to tow vs what you can get away with. S-10! I love it!

I appreciate all the input, fellas. I have found in extensive searching very few Yukons advertised as having the tow package or having the oil cooler. The Denali trim level includes the tow package with the cooler (at least it did on the 2011s) so I know each one I look at includes it - the main reason I have keyed in on those.

Regarding the '15 vs the '11 or '12 (my target range), it's all about the $$$. There is no way I will be dropping $46K (very basic model Yukon) - $78K (loaded Yukon) on a brand new tow vehicle. I cannot afford that plus I prefer to let someone else eat that depreciation. Also, I "run" a base model Civic on a lease as my daily driver - the tow vehicle will only be used for towing, winter weather driving, and the occasional trip with my son's hockey team. I hope to be able to use this tow vehicle for many years.

I got almost five years out of my Durango, mostly daily driving + towing, which is less than I expected. Of course, it is a Dodge. No offense to you Mopar guys, but this was my third Dodge and will be my last.

@txav8r LOL on the S-10. I couldn't agree more on the proper way to tow vs what you can get away with. S-10! I love it!

My only point in bringing up the new trucks was the Denali features may cause you to spend more on used. I found that when pricing used tahoe/ Yukon u pay a premium for ltz or Denali trim. One notch below can get you mainly the same goodies (I don't have navi or rear camera) with a LT and it does fine with the factory towing package. You might be able to get a better deal on a LT tahoe or a slt Yukon and save some $$. Towing our boats with the 5.3 engine is no sweat.

Good luck with your search! I would love to sell you my '13 and get a Sierra but wife and kids won't stand for it! Kid haul and dvd movies in back are too big a draw for family right now :(

My only point in bringing up the new trucks was the Denali features may cause you to spend more on used. I found that when pricing used tahoe/ Yukon u pay a premium for ltz or Denali trim. One notch below can get you mainly the same goodies (I don't have navi or rear camera) with a LT and it does fine with the factory towing package. You might be able to get a better deal on a LT tahoe or a slt Yukon and save some $$. Towing our boats with the 5.3 engine is no sweat.

Good luck with your search! I would love to sell you my '13 and get a Sierra but wife and kids won't stand for it! Kid haul and dvd movies in back are too big a draw for family right now :(

Some excellent points. Not very excited about paying more for items I don't need that may well end up breaking (power folding rear seats, power deploying running boards, etc.). As you noted, the kids would likely mutiny without a DVD player. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Of course, the search is half the fun!

OK, have good idea I will have the cash soon now...

Anyone an Expedition owner? Recommend?

I think @Ronnie has an expedition (but not a rolex)

I have a 2wd 2001 expedition with a 5.2 l triton engine and love it. It tows better than my 4wd 2003 Avalanche with 5.3 l engine. That is I'm more confident in the ford because the transmission is quieter and doesn't hunt as much, not at all actually, unlike the Chevy. The Chevy is a luxury truck whereas the ford is a tow truck with an suv body. If i could only keep one it would be the ford, another beni is it holds 8 people. If you want more luxurious ride check out the navigator, most have four bucket seats so it only holds 7 but they are nice and are really just high end expeditions. If either come with a hitch and 7 pin round connector chances are it has a tranny cooler as well. I wouldn't buy a tow vehicle without one. A hitch and wiring you can add for $150 not sure what it would cost to add a tranny cooler. The gears in a vehicle with a tow package may be different As well.

@Scottintexas , funny you should mention it, if I sold the exped for its high blue book value today I still couldn't afford a new and probably not even a used entry level Rolex, the mariner but as my rich (Internet millionaire) friend says, if it's hanging off your a$$, in this case wrist, it's not an asset.

Back