• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a boat, need some advice.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For a 212LS what would be resonable for a dealer to charge as prep?
One more thing ...

Have a real "trailer guy" setup your trailer. I don't mean one of the clueless asshats at the dealership that thinks they know something about trailers. I mean a trailer nerd that works at a trailer shop and sits around after work talking to his buddies about trailering and watching trailer videos on YouTube.

The trailers that come with these boats are "meh" at best, but a trailer guy can make sure everything is balanced correctly and that your truck is setup correctly to tow the boat. If you can afford it, get a high end trailer and sell the one it comes with. My 210 FSH rides on one of these. It rides like a Bentley.

View attachment 67819

https://www.charlestontrailer.com/charleston-new-trailers.php
Thanks for the input! Also nice looking trailer, I plan to take mine to a local shop to have everything looked over, I know the guys at West Coast Trailers in Huntington Beach and they do fantastic work. After some digging around I think the Taco is fine with towing everything but I would not always want to be towing something like a 242X with a dry trailer weight of 5400LBs. Not to mention I am just not really in the 24ft market at the moment.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The costs on my new 210 FSH:

Boat: $44,999 (no dealing on the cost. too much demand right now.)
Freight: $568 (I am in SC and it was made in and shipped from GA)
Prep: $245
Admin fee: $199
Tax: $500 (SC has a $500 cap)

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The costs on my new 210 FSH:

Boat: $44,999 (no dealing on the cost. too much demand right now.)
Freight: $568 (I am in SC and it was made in and shipped from GA)
Prep: $245
Admin fee: $199
Tax: $500 (SC has a $500 cap)
I wish my dealer was only trying to charge $245 for prep.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
P.S. - get the cover. It is expensive, but I found that the aftermarkets are not as nice.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What are they trying to charge? Keep in mind this ia SC vs CA.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Go to another dealer. That is just stupid. Prep involves taking the wrap off the boat and bolting the tower on to the lower half.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go to another dealer. That is just stupid. Prep involves taking the wrap off the boat and bolting the tower on to the lower half.
I am shopping around for sure.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The boat show here is 27 - 28 January. Buy a plane ticket, buy one here, rent a truck and tow it back :p

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That prep fee is a joke, new dealer
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for prep and what did it include? / What is normal for prep?

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat show here is 27 - 28 January. Buy a plane ticket, buy one here, rent a truck and tow it back :p
Haha I might have to, I just went to the LA boat show and the dealer had marked up every 2018 by $2-$5K

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for prep and what did it include? / What is normal for prep?

Prep includes taking the wrap off the boat and maybe washing it. It should never be more than a couple hundred bucks. If it is more, they are screwing you.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Haha I might have to, I just went to the LA boat show and the dealer had marked up every 2018 by $2-$5K
They have 2017s here marked down pretty well here. They have a few ARs from 19 to 24. Look around in bumfuck places. They tend to be less insane.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be able to get prep included along with a cover and sales tax. When i bought my 17'ar240, i told them i want out the door for $54k. I got 4 life jackets, not the orange cheap ones either, 4 fenders, 4 ropes, an anchor kit, premium cover, a first aide kit and salt away. I walked away from the sales guy twice when he told me he can't do that. Tell them you'll do full asking price (on new) but you want everything included for that price. They will work with you. Prep includes; installing batteries, assembling the tower, cleaning the boat.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should be able to get prep included along with a cover and sales tax. When i bought my 17'ar240, i told them i want out the door for $54k. I got 4 life jackets, not the orange cheap ones either, 4 fenders, 4 ropes, an anchor kit, premium cover, a first aide kit and salt away. I walked away from the sales guy twice when he told me he can't do that. Tell them you'll do full asking price (on new) but you want everything included for that price. They will work with you. Prep includes; installing batteries, assembling the tower, cleaning the boat.
Ok, when I go back there I will see if they will work with me. They really feel to be stubborn about their pricing and policies. I have already walked away from this deal a few months back so I am not afraid of walking. Where did you get yours from? 54K out the door is awesome and with everything you got I would think it is unheard of in CA.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Prep also includes batteries

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d be extremely thorough in researching your anticipated total weight before buying a 24 ft to tow with a Tacoma. I had a Tacoma for 6 years and it will certainly pull the boat but here in the Ozarks I’d be scared to death trying to stop it on some of our hills.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d be extremely thorough in researching your anticipated total weight before buying a 24 ft to tow with a Tacoma. I had a Tacoma for 6 years and it will certainly pull the boat but here in the Ozarks I’d be scared to death trying to stop it on some of our hills.
Ya I don't like the idea of the Taco pulling a 24ft, I'm sure it can do it but like you said stopping is an issue.