• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a boat, need some advice.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ya I don't like the idea of the Taco pulling a 24ft, I'm sure it can do it but like you said stopping is an issue.
On that cheap POS trailer it comes with, yes. On a good trailer, not really.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really? Is it that bad?
I have connext on my boat. The only issue that affects all first generation connext is the battery voltage reading. I am not sure if this issue has been resolved by Yamaha on the current version or not.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On that cheap POS trailer it comes with, yes. On a good trailer, not really.
I have a 2015 Ar240, and yes the trailer has two issues that are well documented AND corrected by Shorelandr/Carlisle free of charge. With the fender bracket and tire issues corrected under warranty, the trailer is not a pos. I have over 10000 miles on my galvanized trailer without a problem. The only thing that has cost me money was when I replaced the bow roller with a Stolz. So in my opinion, it's a good trailer. My opinion is based on actual experience.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for prep and what did it include? / What is normal for prep?
I paid 499 but that included the dealer putting in an interstate marine battery. They also threw in life jackets, bumpers, coast guard kit etc.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Ar240, and yes the trailer has two issues that are well documented AND corrected by Shorelandr/Carlisle free of charge. With the fender bracket and tire issues corrected under warranty, the trailer is not a pos. I have over 10000 miles on my galvanized trailer without a problem. The only thing that has cost me money was when I replaced the bow roller with a Stolz. So in my opinion, it's a good trailer. My opinion is based on actual experience.
I am not trying to call your baby ugly here. When you look at the stock trailer and compare it to a high end trailer, there is a very big difference in ride, performance, and safety. It also makes a big difference when the trailer is tuned and balanced specifically for your boat and towing vehicle.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also, I am basing this on experience as well. It was a night and day experience between stock and aftermarket trailers.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not trying to call your baby ugly here. When you look at the stock trailer and compare it to a high end trailer, there is a very big difference in ride, performance, and safety. It also makes a big difference when the trailer is tuned and balanced specifically for your boat and towing vehicle.
Over 10000 miles... Not a problem. Handles great, even in emergency avoidance maneuvers, and the surge breaking system will lock up the tires if necessary. Just sharing my experience. No feelings have been hurt; this forum is full of nice people.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, I am basing this on experience as well. It was a night and day experience between stock and aftermarket trailers.
I thought you were referring to the 24 foot trailer in your original comment, and I noticed that you don't have a 24 foot boat.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I paid 499 but that included the dealer putting in an interstate marine battery. They also threw in life jackets, bumpers, coast guard kit etc.
That sounds reasonable. With all the stories I am hearing/reading about dealers I am starting to think used is a good way to go, just so I don't have to deal with all that crap.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As far as towing - I haul a 24' 242 ltd s with a GMC Canyon diesel. That truck length and wheel base etc is about the same as a Tacoma- the diesel does add more torque and engine braking though. I have hauled it over 5000 miles - mostly flat terrain, but have done some steep runs - all comfortably.
Note that Yamaha uses surge brakes on their trailers, so you will not need a brake controller. I did add an air lift leveling system to the rear truck springs which I would not want to be without.
The bigger boats also add higher freeboard. If you want to go in rougher water, the freeboard makes for a drier ride. But as another post said, these are not ideal open water boats - not enough draft, so they get tossed around - but on flat water, that makes these boats agile and fun. Everything is a balance!
As for the Break out another thousand mentality - I've never regretted owning a boat, and have for 50 years. So far, this Yamaha has not been costly to maintain. Highest cost is storage for me.
For electronic rider control I use the Ride steady and love it. The speed holds true, and it is easy to operate.
Good luck!

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Consider a two stroke boat like the LX210. Really low cost of entry, easy to tow, way more fun to drive, easy to fix, glorious smell zero depreciation.

The downsides are less room, rough ride in chop, some people can’t keep a two-stroke running due to lack of awareness then people talk about how unreliable they are. Truly, If a 1200 dies it’s because the owner was unreliable.

If you are wanting something to support your current ski fix this is a hot setup. You can spin sub tube ski and board. Decide if you like it. Use the money you save to get a better tow rig and then start saving for the 24.

This will be a very unpopular opinion in this board, but you sound more active than most of the 4-stroke fanboys.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, when I go back there I will see if they will work with me. They really feel to be stubborn about their pricing and policies. I have already walked away from this deal a few months back so I am not afraid of walking. Where did you get yours from? 54K out the door is awesome and with everything you got I would think it is unheard of in CA.
I bought mine at a dealer in swfl. Also, the trailer has brakes.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As far as towing - I haul a 24' 242 ltd s with a GMC Canyon diesel. That truck length and wheel base etc is about the same as a Tacoma- the diesel does add more torque and engine braking though. I have hauled it over 5000 miles - mostly flat terrain, but have done some steep runs - all comfortably.
Note that Yamaha uses surge brakes on their trailers, so you will not need a brake controller. I did add an air lift leveling system to the rear truck springs which I would not want to be without.
The bigger boats also add higher freeboard. If you want to go in rougher water, the freeboard makes for a drier ride. But as another post said, these are not ideal open water boats - not enough draft, so they get tossed around - but on flat water, that makes these boats agile and fun. Everything is a balance!
As for the Break out another thousand mentality - I've never regretted owning a boat, and have for 50 years. So far, this Yamaha has not been costly to maintain. Highest cost is storage for me.
For electronic rider control I use the Ride steady and love it. The speed holds true, and it is easy to operate.
Good luck!
Thanks for all the input! I like the idea of high freeboard but as a 95% lake person I think that the 21ft would do ok, I am not quite ready to go up to the 24ft. The Ride Steady looks like an awesome solution for having drive control on the boat and it will likely be my first upgrade.

Consider a two stroke boat like the LX210. Really low cost of entry, easy to tow, way more fun to drive, easy to fix, glorious smell zero depreciation.

The downsides are less room, rough ride in chop, some people can’t keep a two-stroke running due to lack of awareness then people talk about how unreliable they are. Truly, If a 1200 dies it’s because the owner was unreliable.

If you are wanting something to support your current ski fix this is a hot setup. You can spin sub tube ski and board. Decide if you like it. Use the money you save to get a better tow rig and then start saving for the 24.

This will be a very unpopular opinion in this board, but you sound more active than most of the 4-stroke fanboys.
I see what you are saying and I have used that philosophy in the past when buying my JetSkis. I see the appeal but honestly would first try to grab a 2003 MR-1 boat before going to 2 stroke and I think I might just going to stick with my JetSkis for one more season and save up for a 212X or 242LS. I like the idea of buying an old one for an entry into the would of boating just don't know if it would be worth the headache of buying one, getting it running well and the way I want it then trying to sell it. Thanks for the idea!