• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Thoughts and observations from my failed Bimin Crossing

It would be nice if Yamaha designed the bilges so that the engines were a separate bilge to themselves all the way up to the rub rail or higher. I think the Exciter was this way.

OMG.....Talk about a bad day. So sorry that happened. ..but thank God everyone is OK.

I think there may be a double edge sword in a group crossing. Obviously there's safety in numbers as well as countless other good reasons to proceed as a group. But I think there's also a temptation to go ahead with a crossing that you may have decided against had you been making the crossing alone. Maybe I'm just a chickenshit, but there is no way I would make that crossing if there were going to be 5 footers. Going with a group might be a different story to some (although not with me...hence the chickenshit). The "safety in numbers" mindset might persuade someone to make the crossing when they might otherwise not. I think if I ever make it to Bimini....and I really want to, it will be when I'm already in Florida and the ideal weather window presents itself.

@rkgdmd, on the first attempt the best information we had was that the waves were forecast to be 1.3 feet with four second spacing. Port Everglades is always rough due to tidal flow and the shipping traffic so we expected rough water leaving.

When the group went back out we knew what to expect. The water was painful but manageable. The further we got away from Port Everglades the better the water was. I believe the water was better away from Port Everglades on the first attempt than it was on the crossing.

@ktrash, thank you for posting this. It will be immensely helpful to future Bimini participants.

We all left Port Everglades expecting reasonable water. I believed that I would be able to trim down and have very little impact on the crossing.

I had two ice chests in the bow. We were carrying two weeks worth of food for our family of four plus 40 pounds of ham.

When we heard you had taken on water I immediately thought about our conversation where I said I would have our ice chests in the bow and that it would help keep the bow down and soften the impact of the waves. At the time I did not expect such rough water. I apologize for the suggestion.

@rkgdmd, on the first attempt the best information we had was that the waves were forecast to be 1.3 feet with four second spacing. Port Everglades is always rough due to tidal flow and the shipping traffic so we expected rough water leaving.

When the group went back out we knew what to expect. The water was painful but manageable. The further we got away from Port Everglades the better the water was. I believe the water was better away from Port Everglades on the first attempt than it was on the crossing.

Hi Bruce. You guys scrubbed the first attempt and went out a day later? Are the details in the Bimini 2015 post? I have been using buoyweather when in Florida and have found their estimates of wave height and period to be highly inaccurate at times.

I've added more to my original post. Yea I can see it not raising the bow if they are mounted like that. I was thinking I saw a post on here or maybe another forum where they installed trim tabs that looked like they had full adjustability both up and down. Oh well I guess that's one less mod to worry about buying :D

Trim tabs do a great job of reducing impact when crossing waves or wake. They can not raise the bow. But lessening the impact allows us to more comfortably run on plane providing more freeboard for the entire boat.

Hi Bruce. You guys scrubbed the first attempt and went out a day later? Are the details in the Bimini 2015 post? I have been using buoyweather when in Florida and have found their estimates of wave height and period to be highly inaccurate at times.

We went back into Port Everglades to refuel and regroup after @kthrash and @David Hoff were towed in. We went back out as soon as we all got our stuff together. I burned 8 gallons on the first attempt and 38 gallons on the crossing. I did not want to try the crossing on 80% of a tank. And my kids needed time to come to terms with hearing distress calls on the radio.

It was amazing how many Pan Pan (distress) calls I heard on channel 16 as we returned from Bimini in glassy water. It must be a crazy busy area for the Coast Guard.

I was using Sail Flow for forecasts. Others referenced other sources. I believe that Sail Flow's data provider has erroneous data for wind in Bimini. Locals tell me that there was a 25 mph wind blowing from Bimini toward Miami that morning. I believe that wind was the cause of the large waves we experienced. Currently Sail Flow is showing 0 mph wind in Bimini while Weather.com is showing 8 mph.

Thank you for posting this info, @kthrash ... swallowed pride, honest & detailed assessment, and freely sharing it so others may learn from your tough experience. Who knows, you might have just saved someone else's boat or perhaps even a life.

Props to you!

Best wishes with the new vessel, too.
Agreed! Txs for posting!

@Bruce .. no need to apologize, you didn't know any more than the rest of us what the ocean was really like..

@4x15mph no David was the one with weeds clogging him down and the gas cans strapped over the clean out ports.. I just got unlucky slowing down to let my kids move from the bow to the back of the boat.. When I came off plane, the boat was so heavy it all but came to a dead stop, which as we all know causes them to submarine.. which is what happened.

Lessons learned the hard way, just wanted to pass along what I figured out.

I am so sorry to hear about all this. I have read the accounts and thought of you and your family. I am glad everyone is safe. I didn't realize until I read this that the main reason for the flooding was when you slowed down. I see that all the time when I stop and can imagine what a would happen with large waves. I had something like this happen with another boat in Savannah but luckily only one wave and I was able to get her going enough to get the bow up as the water went out. I have had some scary close calls in open water. Count your blessings and hopefully you will get the salvage issue resolved too!

@kthrash thanks for sharing ... and I'm (still) happy that your family is fine and that, for the most part, you're not out too much financially. We've all learned a lot from your experience ... and, in an odd way, find it empowering and encouraging for a future crossing. Hope the new boat is all that you hoped it would be ... don't beat yourself up at all -- just look forward now.

Thanks for posting this and I hate it for you boat. After I read what happened during the bimini trip it has made me think about getting trim tabs installed if I ever plan the crossing. With the low bow on these boats any ability to raise the bow might be real beneficial to minimizing taking a wave over the bow, not to mention help smooth out the ride if it gets rough.
My experience with trim tabs is that they will only push the bow down. It's my opinion that tabs would not help in this situation.

@kthrash I found it was easier to copy and paste your questions and or concerns and address them in blue below. This is from my years of being on boats and things we ran into that will hopefully help all who take the time to read this.

1. I had way to much stuff and people on the boat.. we had 4 adults and 4 kids on a boat built for 9. That in and of itself is not a big deal, however when you add a backpack each, food for a week and various other supplies, I was on the ragged edge of the weight limit for the boat. Crossing a lake or even a calm ocean and we would have been fine but loaded down in 3-5' seas it was not a great idea. Agreed on the placement. I also believe I read somewhere you had everything so tied in that you found it difficult to undo to move. Do not over kill load securement. Its easy to do but keep it simple. I like to tie things with a half hitch and thread the tail back through so if I need to release, just grab the tail and yank and they come undone.

2. If you attempt this crossing in a 212X with the ballast tanks, I would advise disabling the ballast switch.. somehow along the line, in all the chaos, my knee hit the ballast tank switch filling up the bags.. yet more weight on an already full boat.. simply remove the negative wire from the battery that controls it should be fine.. An easier thing to do is to either shut the seacock off and leave it off or unplug the pump in the engine room rather than trying to get behind the dash etc. I will be removing my bags for the trip next year and capping the lines and disconnecting the pump as I do not want to haul anything that will not be used and take up the precious space. I will be adding a sureflo washdown pump and T it into the ballast intake so I cannot shut the seacock off.

3. Make sure your bilge is up to the task of bailing your boat. In my years worth of planning I installed a 11ooGPH bilge in the main bilge (not the engine compartment) wired properly etc... what I did not do was take into account, is if all of your plugs are in the boat, very little if any water gets into the main bilge.. and the 500GPH bilge in the engine compartment does not stand a chance in hell of bailing a boat with a few thousand gallons of water in it.. You had sufficient bilge pump ability however the plugs I think caused the majority of your problems. I would run a 2000 gph pump in the rear bilge and connect it to a high water alarm as well as the switch on your dash. Assuming you are going to get another Yamaha I will be doing a mod for that in the near future making it all plug and play by buying the same Deustch connectors etc. The automated bilge will be on whenever I switch the batteries on, the back up bilge will be connected to the existing bilge switch but also activated if the high water alarm is tripped.

4. Plugs, the comment above brings up the plug debate.. I firmly believe that with the plugs in, there was enough of an air cushion in the boat (main bilge) to keep it afloat... I intend to upgrade the bilge in my engine compartment to either a single 2500 or twin 1100's and put the 500 in the lower bilge.. and keep my plugs in.. All of the internal plugs should be out. In fact the ones that seperate the engine from the fuel area will be completely removed on mine for the trip. Use them as normal for trailering, lakes etc. to keep any potential fuel leak contained but when you are doing a trip like that, a fuel leak you want out of the bilge regardless and the water needs to flow all the way through the hull. I just pulled my internal plugs this weekend for the first time and there was a few gallons trapped ahead of the engine compartment. Now for the ewer boats, there is no plug between the engine compartment and rear bilge under the back deck. The rear hatch over the fuel tank lets a lot of water into the bilge, this needs to flow to the pumps in order to be discharged. All small boats manufactured in the US since 1973 are required by federal law to have adequate foam cast into the hull that will stop the vessel from sinking to the bottom. These boats, you can pull all the plugs and it will sink so far and thats it, it will not go to the bottom. All of the plugs allow you to close off an area but once the water rises to a certain height it spills over into the next compartment so keeping the plugs in is not what kept you afloat. I plan on keeping the plug in on the ski locker because that will be my dry box. The fuel lid seal is not seamless on my boat leaving gaps at the corners for water to flow into. I will be buying new foam and making it seemless like they did on the ski locker hatch.

5. Weight placement on the boat.. we weighed the nose down after being told that it would make the crossing smoother.. in hindsight all the weight should have been at the back of the boat, keeping the nose up! yet another reason we took one over the bow. This is the biggest reason for your troubles. With a nose down attitude the water runs to the bow, there are no pumps up there and as the water increased, the bow would sink further. This is why weight loading the front is a bad idea. weight load the stern and add trim tabs. Excess weight in the back will make the bow ride high and this is where the trim tabs will come into play. This is a mod I will be installing on my boat this winter as well and the controls will be trick so be on the lookout for that write up.

6. VHF.. if you install a permanent VHF (I had a Lowrance Link 5 installed and tied to my GPS) think about using it.. I registered for a MMSI number yet in all the chaos I forgot to punch the distress signal! Crazy I know plus where I put it (Behind the throttles) the radio was covered in water and when the electronics shorted out, it went out.. in hindsight I should have wired it directly to the battery.. Keep a portable VHF handy, I had to dig through all my crap when the main radio went out to keep communicating with the USCG.. You summed this up well. I would add that I would attach the hand-held to the life jacket you are wearing. Unless it is dead calm, on a crossing like that I would have jackets out and possibly on depending on the conditions. Jakcets serve 2 purposes when its rough out as it will provide your guests a form of a security blanket and lowering stress all around.

7. DO NOT LET TOWBOAT US put a bilge pump in your boat.. pump it out yourself.. unless you are prepared for a HUGE BILL (I'm still fighting this BS..) Noted and Agree.

8. Buy adequate insurance.. I was covered 100% on all my loses (except the Towboat bill).. I got paid for the boat, my lost property (Shoes, camera, phones, ipads, etc... that all got damaged by water or washed away never to be seen again) as well as MedPay for my BIL who dislocated his shoulder.. I'm out the time and effort of dragging the boat to FTL and back but I'm back to even otherwise... Agree.

9. I installed tow valves the week before going.. did I use them? no, I forgot about them again in all the chaos.. I don't think it would have mattered after the engines got hydro-locked but I still forgot about them.. Questionable. If they stalled out due to water being up to the intake then the valves would have done nothing, however if they did not then absolutely they towed the water right into them.

Any questions or comments, you are not going to hurt my feelings.. I was there, I know what went wrong with me and the boat..

I have been asked a bunch, would I do it again? The answer is YES, provided my insurance does not cancel me.. Next year we plan to fly the women/children and me and my BIL will bring the boat over. that cuts 6 women/children and their luggage out of the equation. Hearing you say YES this will not deter you has my hat off to you. The fact you are taking the time to do this and accepting the criticism, which sounds harsh but it is a lesson you learned and education for those who are only familiar with calm/protected waters. I don't know you personally but I am proud of you and how you handled this whole experience. So start your thread on your new ride, what you are getting ( I will be biased and hope you get a new 212X) and I hope to see you next year!

Last edited:
Thanks @kthrash for the honest account. I was lazy the other night and threw on my cover without the anti pooling poles, but instead a large beach ball under the front cover. It got me thinking that a bow cover with a beach ball makes a lightweight nicely rounded bow. Would this have helped out? What if it were sealed for crossings sake to the center window with duct tape? Cheap engineering I know, just asking. What if the engine hatch was sealed the same way? Duct taped to keep water out. In an emergency, you could rip it off to open the hatch, but water would really need to work to get in. Would that help? I was thinking about this trip in a 190, maybe I'm nuts.
Anyway, thanks again for sharing your misfortune, so we can all learn from it.

Interesting point about the towing possibly pushing water into the motors. You would think that the big tow companies would know about this problem in jet skis and jet boats and carry clamps. Especially TowBoat US who probably pays hundreds of water in engine claims every year.

@kthrash, Thanks for your honest assessment of what happened out there!

Having made this Bimini trip on the date in question, I will tell you what worked for us with a similar sized group.

I also have a 212X. We had 9 in our group, 4 adults and 5 kids between 10 and 13. We had one kid on @tim h's boat on the first attempt. On the second attempt an hour later, we transferred one more kid and one adult to @tim h boat. On the crossing back, since we were lighter of all of our groceries and somewhat smoother seas, we had all 9 on our boat.

We stressed to our 5 guests that packing extremely light was crucial. My family's luggage all fit into one waterproof duffel bag. The 5 guests luggage fit into one duffel bag and one carry-on sized suit case. We had groceries on board for all of us and never ate out on Bimini.

The front of our boat, under the seats, held only lightweight items. Under one seat was 9 sets of snorkeling gear. Under the other front seat was only the table and legs and some pool noodles. ALL of the rest of the gear went into the back of the boat, including deep into the rear seats where the ballast bags are installed. We also had a large fishing cooler packed full. This started in the bow and immediately moved as far rearward as i could slide it once we started hitting the large waves.

My clean out ports both dislodged and I lost propulsion soon after hitting the waves. I reseated them and carried on. While I was on the rear swim deck we took a little water over the bow, just a few splashes, and they immediately drained because of my rearward weight. Addressing blown clean out ports/locks is my highest priority for next year.

For what it's worth, upon regrouping at the gas docks, many captains were adjusting their loads rearward.

Lastly, I wonder, if you were able at all to keep the boat under power if you would have been able to survive. I have done sub moves (in fresh water) with so much water taken on that shoes were floating out of the rear of the boat. I found that the key to that is to keep the boat under power as much as possible to keep the bow high and let the scupper do it's job. I know it happened fast, maybe this wasn't an option...

what does "the main bilge, not the engine compartment" mean?

Back