• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Thoughts and observations from my failed Bimin Crossing

what does "the main bilge, not the engine compartment" mean?

The factory puts the bilge pump in the engine compartment. This isn't truly the bottom of the boat. There is an area lower than the engine compartment, near where the scupper hose exits the bottom/rear of the boat.

First of all I'm sorry about all this it really sucks but I'm glad you're all safe. Had to be a real scary situation especially with kids on board. I'm curious though, if you all do this as a group for safety, where was everyone else in the group to help you? Why couldn't someone else bail you out and give you a tow back? We do a lot of real long snowmobile trips with our group of riders and the biggest rule is that we all stay together no matter what. That way someone can always get towed back or at least get a ride with someone else and sled the sled. That happened last year when and engine seized and we just left the sled and went and got it the next day.

Not wanting to address this on behalf of @kthrash, but since I was there, I'll chime in. The Bimini crossing is quite strung out. Miles between the first and last boats. Much longer distances than snowmobiles. However, we were all in communication using radios. That being said, several boats were nearby to assist. One boat's occupants jumped in to pull people onto their boat. No one was in a position to pump someone else's boat out however. Towboat was on the scene to tow using the owner's towing insurance. No one was left to fend for themselves and no one was abandoned.

@subysti, the water was not compatible with a Yamaha towing another in. It was simply too rough and likely would have resulted in another boat being swamped.

The Coast Guard and tow boat response was very quick. @MrMoose provided buckets to bail with and @Tony Sweasy picked up the passengers. Other boats may have picked up cargo that was floating.

It has been said many times regarding the Bimini trip that being in a group allows us to rescue the people if there is a problem but we may not be able to save the boat. From my perspective the boat is an easily replacable object and not worth risking lives to save.

Many participants buy towing insurance. I spend the money on survival gear such as type 1 life jackets, marine radios and satellite tracker and alert devices instead.

Towing insurance does not cover a boat filled with water FYI, I have been told by my insurance and TowBoat U.S. insurance that I had, that once it has water in it, its a salvage operation.. towing only covers a dead engine, out of gas, jump starts etc..

and to answer the other question above.. there were plenty of boats circling me and helping, any more and it really would have been a traffic jam.. put it this way the USCG rode right by me since there were so many boats by me.. and as has been said I am glad they gathered my family and stuff that was floating...

Towing insurance does not cover a boat filled with water FYI, I have been told by my insurance and TowBoat U.S. insurance that I had, that once it has water in it, its a salvage operation.. towing only covers a dead engine, out of gas, jump starts etc.

Will your boat insurance provider cover the salvage operation?

Will your boat insurance provider cover the salvage operation?

State Farm only covers 5% of the insured value of the boat for salvage, which was $31K, salvage was more than 10%.. or $3700..

Ok well that's great to hear, it sounded kinda like you were on your own. Our sled trips are the same with miles between the first and last sleds. Typically around 15 of us in our group and we will do 200 - 300 miles a day up in northern Maine averaging 50mph. I would be more than happy to bring some boaters sledding with us!!!

@subysti, the water was not compatible with a Yamaha towing another in. It was simply too rough and likely would have resulted in another boat being swamped.

The Coast Guard and tow boat response was very quick. @MrMoose provided buckets to bail with and @Tony Sweasy picked up the passengers. Other boats may have picked up cargo that was floating.

It has been said many times regarding the Bimini trip that being in a group allows us to rescue the people if there is a problem but we may not be able to save the boat. From my perspective the boat is an easily replacable object and not worth risking lives to save.

Many participants buy towing insurance. I spend the money on survival gear such as type 1 life jackets, marine radios and satellite tracker and alert devices instead.
Mistaken identity... @MrMoose was in the leading group, and was at least a mile away and not able to provide assistance, and actually, when I first heard the calls for help regarding taking on water, I am embarrassed to admit that I had dismissed them as over-reactions because I had just taken two big waves over my bow and was draining water out of my scupper, and my bilge was pumping (while my two sons looked at me with worried eyes). I honestly thought that we were all taking on water and that a couple of boats had just panicked and over reacted. I'm glad that some of our group i.e. @Tony Sweasy, the German Coast Guard, Justin, and others were close enough to see that some of our group were in real distress. I guess that my point is that the initial guidance during the captain's meeting, to keep an eye on the boats around you, worked for those who ran into trouble. When I noticed the boats behind me starting to lag during the initial crossing (because they apparently circled back in reaction to the calls for help) I called ahead to the rest of the leading group to let them know that they should hold-up. ... and they returned. So, although two of our boats ran into some serious problems, the general protocol that was laid out at the captain's meeting definitely worked. I kept a visual on the boats in my proximity for the whole trip. It's a good system and it works, especially if you run out of gas.

Good to know^ I was embarrassed to ask this question. Having a 190 which is both small and slow compared to the 24s, I would worry about not being able to keep up and being left behind stranded in open ocean while everyone else speeds away listening to music and thinking about the week to come in Bimini.

Good post on the lessons learned. I am glad to hear everyone is safe. Kudos to the group for all the planning and watching out for each other. The collaboration is really what makes this feasible with only a certain amount of risk.

Most of my boating time is offshore fishing, from center consoles to 30' plus cabin boats...20+ years. Things change very very quickly on the seas, even with a good forecast. My experience in that environment is what makes me nervous every time I think about this Bimini crossing in my jet boat. I know many do it successfully and they reap the rewards of having done so.

One challenge with this trip is the "get there-itis" incurred after all the planning, towing and vacation commitment. It can cloud judgment. It is the reason for many many private plane crashes too. I am not criticizing the OP or group, or saying this was a factor this time, but it's worth examining for the future. If the forecast was for 3-5 footers...no way would I go out in my jet boat....ever. A back up plan is important.

That said, all fun things incur risk, and managing that risk is part of the challenge. I ride motorcycles, scuba dive, have a private pilot's license and have jumped out of planes a few times.

With proper planning and preparation, and the comfort knowing that you can always call it off, this trip can become a great memory of a lifetime.

Thanks to the group for sharing their experience. It may save someone's life!

Need to clarify the waves and their forecast, most will report that a 2' sea is forecast but that is from seal level to the top of the wave, not the trough, when you add that to it, it looks like a 4' sea to the boater. I believe the forecast was for 1.7 on their departure day. Now you can not always go by the forecast based on sea height. I would have no problem taking my boat out in 10' seas if they were swells vs chop, in other words the duration was very large between waves, this is also referred to as a big sea, not rough. You just have to be very aware and know what you and your vessel are capable of. Most boats will easily take more sea than their passengers can provided they are not hindered by being loaded wrong or more importantly, over loaded.

Last edited:
Good to know^ I was embarrassed to ask this question. Having a 190 which is both small and slow compared to the 24s, I would worry about not being able to keep up and being left behind stranded in open ocean while everyone else speeds away listening to music and thinking about the week to come in Bimini.

I don't think you have to worry about anyone speeding off and leaving you. The boats do need to spread out as they perform better in clean water vs disturbed prop wash however everyone is fuel conscious so I can't see them running much more than 25mph give or take on the crossing since that is about the best cruise speed range for the boats with twins.

@andysx230, his crew and @robert843 were the saints taking up the rear guard. They stayed at the back to make sure that no one was left behind.

A 190 has enough power to cross at a reasonable pace and keep up with the group. In fact it is probably better than a 192 for the crossing due to the lower fuel consumption.

But for 2016 I suggest that we do need to understand that this is a maintain a reasonable pace or go home situation. Below plane speeds burn more fuel and leave your boat lower in the water making it more likely that you will be swamped. Our boats do not have enough fuel to make the crossing without planing. As a matter of safety we need to cross at planing speeds. Hopefully we will have smooth water but every person on your boat needs to be prepared to pound waves if necessary.

The factory puts the bilge pump in the engine compartment. This isn't truly the bottom of the boat. There is an area lower than the engine compartment, near where the scupper hose exits the bottom/rear of the boat.

This has been measured and shown to be very little water - 2 gallons before the bilge pump starts pumping it....so unless the new 19 or 24' boats are dramatically different, I think this is a red herring....

This has been measured and shown to be very little water - 2 gallons before the bilge pump starts pumping it....so unless the new 19 or 24' boats are dramatically different, I think this is a red herring....
Its 2-3 gallons at rest but could be a lot more while underway.

Which if it is all in the very stern staying away from the bilge pump would add stern weight to hold the bow up. It won't move forward of the first engine bulk head. But it does make me further want to replace the stock bilge.....as it could be as long as 3 minutes before the bilge pump cycles to sense water...which when you are taking water over the bow....could be an eternity....

Sorry for the hijack...so if I wanted to upgrade my pump, are you recommending a 2000 gph and just remove the existing one? That would be the easiest thing to do I would think. Thanks!!!

Back