• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Cable Adjustments on MR-1

rtucker11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced the throttle cables on my 2008 AR-230. The port cable is seated right in the center of the holder when I tighten down the 2 locknuts on top of the engine. The starboard cable is adjusted as tight as it can be and there's still a little bit of play in the cable before bottoming out at the full throttle stop. Is there any 2nd adjustment outside of the locknuts where the cable is mounted on top of the engine? Should I maybe have purchased 2 different throttle cables instead of the same for both? I don't see why different cables would be necessary here.

I took the throttle binnacle apart to check there but I didn't see anything to be adjusted there.

Thanks for any help!

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Following this, I just put on throttle sync from JBP and will be needing to do a fine tune on the cables.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced the throttle cables on my 2008 AR-230. The port cable is seated right in the center of the holder when I tighten down the 2 locknuts on top of the engine. The starboard cable is adjusted as tight as it can be and there's still a little bit of play in the cable before bottoming out at the full throttle stop. Is there any 2nd adjustment outside of the locknuts where the cable is mounted on top of the engine? Should I maybe have purchased 2 different throttle cables instead of the same for both? I don't see why different cables would be necessary here.

I took the throttle binnacle apart to check there but I didn't see anything to be adjusted there.

Thanks for any help!
Somewhat related question… how did you feed the new cables from the binnacle? Did you pull them thru or remove the fuel hatch? I have a pair of cables but need to install them.

rtucker11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somewhat related question… how did you feed the new cables from the binnacle? Did you pull them thru or remove the fuel hatch? I have a pair of cables but need to install them.
I removed the cover above the fuel tank, disconnected from the binnacle, taped new cable to old and pulled. I don't think it was 100% necessary to remove the cover but I wanted to anyway. That was a disaster. I broke off a few bolt heads and even broke the studs.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I removed the cover above the fuel tank, disconnected from the binnacle, taped new cable to old and pulled. I don't think it was 100% necessary to remove the cover but I wanted to anyway. That was a disaster. I broke off a few bolt heads and even broke the studs.
I pulled my fuel hatch when i ran my amp wiring a few years back. Thanks for sharing, I figure that all of it will be clearer once I pull apart the binnacle, see the lines with the hatch off and back thru, when I get the boat out and clean her.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the cable can be adjusted at both ends. At the throttle levers and at the intake body. You can remove only the black cover/flame arrestor tubes on the intake to make your life easier. I think If the cable is in you already did the hard part. Can you share pictures at both ends? Ideally the adjustment is close enough the throttle levers are matching each other closely.

rtucker11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't see any way to adjust things any more inside of the binnacle. The cable seems to be adjusted as far as it can go.

1681397945063.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And your adjustment at the engine side is also at the end??

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is very odd indeed. How many more turns would you need on the engine side to get when you need? Maybe a coupling and another tube gets you there? Maybe the tolerances of the cable are not quite right.

rtucker11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is very odd indeed. How many more turns would you need on the engine side to get when you need? Maybe a coupling and another tube gets you there? Maybe the tolerances of the cable are not quite right.
I think I need about 3 more threads. I'm inclined to just leave it as is and adjust the other side to match.
My thinking is now I max out at about 10,000 rpms instead of 10,200 which I believe is just fine.