• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle losing position

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In my new 212S I have the same problem as I had on my 2015 242 LS. The throttle will not stay in position for long and I have to make constant adjustments. For example, I set both engines to 6000 rpm a minute later, one drop to 5800. I find myself investing a good amount of time and energy adjusting the rpm. I am holdings my right hand on the throttle controls and constantly making small adjustment. The control itself look like the same mechanism between both boats and I am aware of the two tension/friction flat head screws which suppose to keep the levers in place. It's not working. Not before, not now.

Is this a known issue? I am starting to regret I didnt go with the SE model. This is such a pita! I like the same exact rpm on both engines. I usually set the power optimally for the conditions but than power get out of adjustment in a minute or less.

Anyone is dealing with this issue as well? Any solutions? Thank you for sharing!

You have to tightten the fricten adjustment screws. This video covers it.

I just finished putting clamps in that little gap per the first video link. I had to hammer it in so no more gap. I also realized I had more to go on the friction screws. I want as much as it made sense. I am going to go out on Monday and give it a test. On my last outing I had to deal with waves and it was just horrible since the RPM on the screen is on the small size for my tired eyes and with a jumping boat, to adjust the levers constantly it was just too much. I hope this will be a set and forget and I can fine tune the RPM up or down with the "cruise control". Thanks for the advise!

Mine does same thing. My friction screws work but you have to crank them pretty good to get it to hold and then the throttles are stiff and suck to use.
I’m probably going to do ridesteady this season for the engine syncing function to eliminate part of the problem.

I have the same issue, only on my starboard throttle, I did the friction adjustment to no avail. I’ve just learned to deal with it.

What is ridesteady? Synced engine RPM is so damn important (for me). The little adjustment up or down are easy to make with the cruise control. but when one side keep backing down, wow, so annoying. I wish Yamaha would have come with a mechanical solution for that. I can't imagin it is that complex.

I just finished putting clamps in that little gap per the first video link. I had to hammer it in so no more gap. I also realized I had more to go on the friction screws. I want as much as it made sense. I am going to go out on Monday and give it a test. On my last outing I had to deal with waves and it was just horrible since the RPM on the screen is on the small size for my tired eyes and with a jumping boat, to adjust the levers constantly it was just too much. I hope this will be a set and forget and I can fine tune the RPM up or down with the "cruise control". Thanks for the advise!
Any update?

Well, that was some times ago. Yes, it made things much better but at the end of the day, if you are OCD like myself, and if you can afford, get the next model with the one throttle action. I find myself wasting way too much time and energy trying to equalize the RPM and to make it worse, it is very hard to focus on those two opposing RPM digit display when under way in a bouncy boat. I wish Yamaha would give an option for a bigger size font for that aspect.

Most of us that ride with our hands off the throttles have done the throttle drop fix. And have nice loose friction screws for ease of use.

The process may look intimidating, but it's an easy fix. Just do it. and enjoy your boat for a next to no cost fix other than the couple beers you need to finish.

Good luck

Most of us that ride with our hands off the throttles have done the throttle drop fix. And have nice loose friction screws for ease of use.

The process may look intimidating, but it's an easy fix. Just do it. and enjoy your boat for a next to no cost fix other than the couple beers you need to finish.

Good luck
Agreed, seems very easy to knock out. I just don't want it to affect my warranty since I have a 2023.

Agreed, seems very easy to knock out. I just don't want it to affect my warranty since I have a 2023.
You could have your dealer do it as warranty work, since it's a known issue for the past 15 years. Then you will get free storage while it sits in their lot for three months. I can't expect that to hurt warranty, if they won't fix it.

I've been noticing the throttle drop issue has become noticeable on my 2020 boat this past summer. It's worst position is between 5000 and 6000 rpm range...when set, they slowly drift back a few hundred rpm, usually the port side first. I don't get any drop above 6k though, so cruising at 38mph or higher is fine, just trying to cruise at the sweet spot for MPG at 5300 rpm and 27 mph is not possible without my hand on the throttles.

I've seen a few videos and pics with various fixes such as tape, metal clips, etc., but this one with the stainless steel clamp sounds like the easiest fix that won't wear easily. I'm going to try it next spring.

I've been noticing the throttle drop issue has become noticeable on my 2020 boat this past summer. It's worst position is between 5000 and 6000 rpm range...when set, they slowly drift back a few hundred rpm, usually the port side first. I don't get any drop above 6k though, so cruising at 38mph or higher is fine, just trying to cruise at the sweet spot for MPG at 5300 rpm and 27 mph is not possible without my hand on the throttles.

I've seen a few videos and pics with various fixes such as tape, metal clips, etc., but this one with the stainless steel clamp sounds like the easiest fix that won't wear easily. I'm going to try it next spring.
This is my exact problem with my '23 AR250. I will try it soon and let you know how it goes.

Back