• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Problems - Yamaha 212

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Hi,

I am new to the game of boating and looking to buy my first jet boat.

I have found a 2011 yahama 212 with 500hours for a reasonable price.

Prior to testing, I had an dry inspection carried out by the local yahama dealer. They have advised that the engines are good and no faults on the computer.

Problem is.. I took it out for the first time and it doesn't seem to want to move when accelerating. Basically it feels like the boat is in limp mode.

Speaking to yamaha they have said it could be the cans or shaft and will come have a look next week.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to miss out on this boat if its not a major issue.

Thanks
Dan

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Are the cleanout plugs secured? If not then the boat will feel like it's spinning it's tires.
Hey, thanks for the quick response. I will head over to the yard tomorrow and check out the plugs. I assume it is easy to tell if these are secure and not cross threaded or something?

It was advised by the technician that this boat was only serviced 6 months ago, so hoping its a easy fix.

Thanks

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe that you have the T-handle ones. Pull up on the handle and see if they are loose. If they are, push the button to release the ears, make sure they're lined up in the tubes and push the handle down hard to lock them in place. Once you think they are locked, try pulling up on the handle as hard as you can to make sure they are locked.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
exactly the push button plugs were used up to 2016 and are usually removed when the boat is not in use. and if they are not installed and locked they can do what you are experiencing. the clean out ports are located in the back hatch of the boat or something built a nest in the pump intakes

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Great advice, thanks for both your feedback, I'll take a look at keep you posted on the outcome. If its an easy fix, I will go ahead with the purchase and post some photos!

Cheers

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Managed to get a video of the issue while out on the boat earlier today. Not sure if this helps diagnose the issue.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also are the gates opening all the way and what is the condition of the pump stator veins ?

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
also are the gates opening all the way and what is the condition of the pump stator veins ?
Good question, I'll take a good look at this tomorrow and let you know.. Anything specific I should be looking out for on the pump stator?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
cracks and chunks out of the leading edge of the veins

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the easiest and most common thing for all new jet boaters is forgetting to install the cleanout plugs, happens to everyone,

the next them would be while the engine is off, move the throttles all the way forward and then look at the deflector bucket on the nozzle to make sure it moves up in the air ( this would be a very uncommon problem to have )

If the boat is out of the water you can crawl underneath and look up through the grates at the impellers just to see if they are chipped up, this isn't your problem but a good thing to check on before you buy as it will affect your take off and top speed.

if you go from stop to full throttle it should throw you back in the seat and within 5 -10 seconds be on plane, top speed should be 45-50 mph

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update your profile with you location, maybe there is a member close by that could help you get started,

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
it was cavitating really bad so I believe the cleanout plugs are the most likely culprit looked like one side was producing nothing and the other had a little push but not much Or they sucked a Dolphin up into the pump

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
it was cavitating really bad so I believe the cleanout plugs are the most likely culprit looked like one side was producing nothing and the other had a little push but not much Or they sucked a Dolphin up into the pump
Thanks for the feedback. I will be able to get to the boat on Friday to take a proper look. I'll keep all you guys posted.

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Good morning,

Yamaha has been to the boat and conducted a full inspection and advised that the plugs are fine and we're fully installed on the wet run, however the issue still is present.

They have sent this photo advising that it could be the problem with the impeller leafs.

Do you guys think this would cause such an issue?

Thanks

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would still think that you would be able to go faster than you were. Does the boat vibrate bad when you try to go?

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
I would still think that you would be able to go faster than you were. Does the boat vibrate bad when you try to go?
I didn't notice any major vibrations to be honest.

I am thinking there is something more too it, so will keep searching for the problem. The under water light was loose, which may have drawn water in or reduced compression, however again I don't think this would have been the issue.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good morning,

Yamaha has been to the boat and conducted a full inspection and advised that the plugs are fine and we're fully installed on the wet run, however the issue still is present.

They have sent this photo advising that it could be the problem with the impeller leafs.

Do you guys think this would cause such an issue?

Thanks
When you say Yamaha has been to the boat, are indicating a dealer? Yamaha Engineers? A marine Mechanic?