• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector Wake Dry Tube Ride Video

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We're actually addressing that now. We're hoping to find an optimal setting that all three watersports activities can share and still provide all the same benefits of the three. Testing is going well and if successful we will be able to simplify the product from 4 settings to 2 settings. Basically an ON setting and an OFF setting.

We're also beefing up all the hardware and the fins will most likely be made from aluminum (with a breakaway feature designed in just in case something catastrophic happens the fin will fail before something safety related does). this way if a user forgets to switch the unit off there is no chance of damaging anything. This thing will be overengineered for sure!
Crap I just bought I set online tonight, I might want to wait till the metal design comes out.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes there is. I have the 2019 AR195 and the 2019 190 FSH Sport. The improvement in reverse control is very noticeable and we're not going to be pursuing a design for the 2019 models. They have done a great job fixing the reverse control. The Thrust Vectors are still however very necessary in our opinion. The new Thrust Vector X and Wake models both work well on 2019 models.
Let’s get some video of the Thrust Vector Wake on the 195. Any chance you can put a ballast bag on the swim deck when doing the surf test?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Crap I just bought I set online tonight, I might want to wait till the metal design comes out.
You wont get what you see today. You'll get a production version. What you're seeing today is late stage prototype which is easy to make and test and remake quickly. Metal has not been 100% decided upon but if we go with metal that's for sure what you'd get.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let’s get some video of the Thrust Vector Wake on the 195. Any chance you can put a ballast bag on the swim deck when doing the surf test?
Yes for sure. That testing begins soon.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This video was certainly worth the wait. I do have a question about the trade in of competitor products. If we do pull the trigger, but currently don’t have access to the boat, how do we handle the “trade in”?
I spoke with Kim at jbp about this same issue as my boat is in storage. She said to send them back in the spring when I had access to them and they would credit back my original credit card and additional hundred dollars. I just have to reference my order number and get it all straight with them once I get them taken off and I’ll return them for my money back.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just remember, I have a family Lake Powell trip coming up after Memorial day. My Yamaha wants to be wearing the new TV's.

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just remember, I have a family Lake Powell trip coming up after Memorial day. My Yamaha wants to be wearing the new TV's.
I'm probably heading down there even earlier and I hope to have my new thrust vectors as well but I'm heading to bullfrog, I bet you're probably going to Wahweap? I love Lake Powell but I've learned the secret to enjoy it is to make sure you're the first person off of the water early in the AM when you leave because those mussel checks take forever.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure who is on FB and who isn’t, but just saw something that I’m not sure about.

@JetBoatPilot responded to a post stating that the nozzles on SurfPoint enabled boats will need to be straightened when TVWake fins are installed. The surfpoint toes the pumps in a bit, right?

I guess, you might need to do that anyway to get the fins to operate correctly in the first place?? Hadn’t thought about this before.

Same could be true for @Cobra Jet Steering LLC ? Not intending to hijack this thread, but would steering fins (especially always down) add extra stress to the pump if toed in while going straight?

So, I guess I’m asking... what other benefits to SurfPoint, that we could be getting ready to undo? Or, was SurfPoint just a marketing thing that really didn’t change much, and it’s nothing to worry about?

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well
Not sure who is on FB and who isn’t, but just saw something that I’m not sure about.

@JetBoatPilot responded to a post stating that the nozzles on SurfPoint enabled boats will need to be straightened when TVWake fins are installed. The surfpoint toes the pumps in a bit, right?

I guess, you might need to do that anyway to get the fins to operate correctly in the first place?? Hadn’t thought about this before.

Same could be true for @Cobra Jet Steering LLC ? Not intending to hijack this thread, but would steering fins (especially always down) add extra stress to the pump if toed in while going straight?

So, I guess I’m asking... what other benefits to SurfPoint, that we could be getting ready to undo? Or, was SurfPoint just a marketing thing that really didn’t change much, and it’s nothing to worry about?

I would be interested to know if this is true as I ordered a set for my 2018 212X.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What a thread hijack!
I think @Rod5 played with the SurfPoint settings and posted a lot of detail. To me, it sounded it was marginally helpful for surfing but not a game changer (like wake wedge or custom swim deck bag). It does effect the steering, so there are limits.
I have had @Cobra Jet Steering LLC fins running toed in or out, over 200 hard hrs on mine, zero issues, other than some ill effects on steering I would have no concerns running SurfPoint settings, especially with the second support rod.

--

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Surf Pointe feature was added to clean up the face of the wake on twin engine boats. The way that they did it was to toe the nozzles inward a few degrees on each side.

We found that there were lots of clearance issues and rubbing issues when adding the Thrust Vector XV, X and Wake models to Surf Point equipped Yamaha boats. So the solution on the Thrust Vector Wake Editioin was to straighten the nozzles back to the standard setup and then let the Thrust Vector Wake do the deflecting that the Surf Point does currently. You get the same result plus you eliminate the rubs.

Thrust Vector XV does not work well with Surf Pointe equipped boats so we suggest that customers who want Thrust Vectors but are not interested in the Wake version buy the Thrust Vector X. We were able to eliminate the rubs with the Thrust Vector X while keeping the Surf Pointe setup the way that it comes from the factory because there are a lot fewer components on the system namely the stops which was the major source of the rub on the Wake version.

Attached is a picture of how we do it.Inboard Deflector.jpg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
love that image. helps understand the whole thing

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I actually have an adaptor kit for the magnum ak series steering to allow you to realign the fins to be straight when the surf point angle is set on the nozzles. However This is not yet listed on my web page hmmmm web page grrrr I Don't want to get started on that , however I have had some people here get the adaptor kit off the top of my head it is about 14.95 and shipping so it isn't any big deal to buy or to install I know I made some posts about it a while back .

What a thread hijack!
I think @Rod5 played with the SurfPoint settings and posted a lot of detail. To me, it sounded it was marginally helpful for surfing but not a game changer (like wake wedge or custom swim deck bag). It does effect the steering, so there are limits.
I have had @Cobra Jet Steering LLC fins running toed in or out, over 200 hard hrs on mine, zero issues, other than some ill effects on steering I would have no concerns running SurfPoint settings, especially with the second support rod.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot Looks like you have been very busy getting your newest invention dialed in. Can't wait to hear reports and see video.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
People ride up higher in those molecule towables than typical tubes. Will the splash effect be the same when you are lower to the water?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We can see the splash/spray fall down into the water well ahead of the tube when testing so I don't think the size of the tube will be a factor.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You wont get what you see today. You'll get a production version. What you're seeing today is late stage prototype which is easy to make and test and remake quickly. Metal has not been 100% decided upon but if we go with metal that's for sure what you'd get.
Metal options like 5052 Alum or 304 /316 SS for salt water?? I would love to see a stainless fin even though we have only fresh water here....I'm here to help it you need any prototypes made quickly at www.royalsheet.com just a shamless plug for the best little fab shop in west Michigan....

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Metal options like 5052 Alum or 304 /316 SS for salt water?? I would love to see a stainless fin even though we have only fresh water here....I'm here to help it you need any prototypes made quickly at www.royalsheet.com just a shamless plug for the best little fab shop in west Michigan....
Thanks for reaching out again. We have a rapid turn fab shop that cuts parts sometimes same day and is only one day away ups ground.

Right now the front runner is .250" thick 6061 anodized for the fin and 316 or 304 stainless cross tie. The stops are made from 5052 because of the bend that we have to put in them. All the other hardware is stainless. The deflector will likely be billet 5052 in the beginning because I can build them fast but in later models the deflector will be cast aluminum if all goes the way I want it to.