• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector XL warped - any way to fix this?

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a 2014 AR192 a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in storage since then. I pulled it out today to go over the mechanicals and install my new Lateral Thrusters and noticed that the Thrust Vector XLs that are install on it are warped and bowed. As far as I can tell it appears to be installed correctly and all the screws are still in it. Has anyone ever seen this before? Does JBP offer any sort of warranty on them? Does anyone know if it's possible to straighten them out - maybe something like putting them in an oven or some sort of heat to bend them back?

I'm kind of pissed, because I just placed my order for my Lateral Thrusters only and could have saved some money on the combo if I had known I needed to replace them.

IMG_20200301_121701.jpg

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the Cobras, and do believe they can be reshaped. Not sure about the TVs, but if not, I bet Will would honor that combo special if you called him and explained.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bent mine out of shape in a similar fashion when beaching - the plastic doesn’t really have the ability to retain a warped shape, it’s more likely the cross members are bent. Try taking them off and letting the blades rest freely, they should just sit perpendicular. If so, then it’s just a matter of bending the bracket back into place should just require a little hammer work.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bent mine out of shape in a similar fashion when beaching - the plastic doesn’t really have the ability to retain a warped shape, it’s more likely the cross members are bent. Try taking them off and letting the blades rest freely, they should just sit perpendicular. If so, then it’s just a matter of bending the bracket back into place should just require a little hammer work.
I actually did that. The blades are jacked up so badly

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I actually did that. The blades are jacked up so badly
Wow, can’t say I’ve ever seen that (albeit my experience is limited). Like captras said, I’m sure Will will be able to help you out.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had the same issue on mine. What I did was heat them up pretty good with a heat gun, not to the point of melting of course, then took 2 2x4's and clamped the TV between em. Straight as an arrow after they cooled off. I'm getting ready to swap out my TV's for cobrajet, though. I believe I have a thread running around here where I straightened them.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue on mine. What I did was heat them up pretty good with a heat gun, not to the point of melting of course, then took 2 2x4's and clamped the TV between em. Straight as an arrow after they cooled off. I'm getting ready to swap out my TV's for cobrajet, though. I believe I have a thread running around here where I straightened them.
That is exactly what I needed to hear! I will do this as soon as I can.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like the cross member was installed upsidedown. Not sure that has anything to do with the fins being warped. Normally fins being warped comes from a submerged object strike or from allowing the fins to rest on the bottom while at anchor. They can be easily bent back in place by hand and if you'd like to try that first that may be the easiest way to remedy this. I'd recommend flipping the cross member over and reinstalling it. If its twisted or bent out of shape we can warranty at no charge if you'll pay shipping. We may also have left over XV fins on hand so if they can't be reshaped to your liking we can warranty those too.

When at anchor we typically recommend that you keep the boat floating in at least knee deep water and keep an eye on the tide if you're in a tidal zone. If you need to bring the boat in shallower you can flip the fins up and place a small piece of pool float noodle into the nozzle opening and then let the fins and cross member rest on the pool float. this keeps them up and reduces the chance of striking the bottom.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap, you're exactly right about the cross member. Installed that way would constantly be forcing the fins downward into the jet wash, instead of up and out of it. I'd imagine the constant torque on the fins would warp them over time.

Thank you for your help and I'll definitely try that!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've seen plastic parts that are warped like that fixed by soaking in hot (almost boiling) water. Leave them in until they get nice and soft, then place them under a flat, heavy object until they cool.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I basically did exactly what Dixie Highway suggested and it worked perfectly. Put the fins in a pan of boiling water for about 10 minutes and then clamped them between two boards and left them until the next day. They were straight as an arrow after that. The cross member was bent slightly, but I straightened that out using a couple steel bars. Put it back on the boat and it seems like I'm back in business! Thanks to everyone that responded.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I basically did exactly what Dixie Highway suggested and it worked perfectly. Put the fins in a pan of boiling water for about 10 minutes and then clamped them between two boards and left them until the next day. They were straight as an arrow after that. The cross member was bent slightly, but I straightened that out using a couple steel bars. Put it back on the boat and it seems like I'm back in business! Thanks to everyone that responded.
That's great to hear! Be safe out there!