• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors - Changed my mind

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot

After fishing a couple of times with the Cobras I have made the decision to put the JBP system back on. It allows me to maneuver the boat with the tide moving infinitely better than the Cobras.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for doing so much testing. We have a great selection of products available to suit specific personal tastes. I apologize if you explain in another thread; but what exactly do you mean by maneuvering the boat with tide moving? Are you referring to the slow speed handling in currents?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm glad to hear you've chosen our product for your needs. Your feedback will be very helpful to others in making their decision.

Thanks again for all your hard work on the comparisons! It was nice to see an impartial comparison!!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what exactly do you mean by maneuvering the boat with tide moving? Are you referring to the slow speed handling in currents?
@Foobar I'm also curious!
Are you making another video?

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The debate will never end :)
I hope so - as long as it is about innovation!
Making performance mods work: hard.
@Foobar has been posting very detailed vidoes on his boat.

--

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @Foobar for all you hard work and documentation.

Meanwhile I'm eating popcorn waiting for the post from someone else about how "I've been doing this for 85 years and I know everything and you're just wrong and those parts don't go like that and I've been doing this for 85 years (because he'll say that again) bla bla bla"

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for doing so much testing. We have a great selection of products available to suit specific personal tastes. I apologize if you explain in another thread; but what exactly do you mean by maneuvering the boat with tide moving? Are you referring to the slow speed handling in currents?
When fishing near jetties or other types of structures. I anchor the bow away from the jetties. I then use some sort of grappling hook or reef anchor to hold the stern facing the jetties. The tide is pushing against the side of the boat. So, when I drop the bow anchor and start backing up to set the second anchor, the boat is moved several feet per second sideways by the tide. The lateral thrusters help move the stern against the current to keep the bow and the stern (and the anchor rode) perpendicular to the jetties.

I will post a video later to explain after my head heals. I currently have a nice gash on my head from the battery compartment lid. The gas strut had come loose, so when I opened the lid and let go of it, the lid smacked me and gave me a nice 2 inch gash. Of course, while I am gushing blood and nearly losing consciousness, someone asks "are you ok?". No dummy, I am not ok.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Certainly makes sense and that was one benefit I thought the TV would offer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Certainly makes sense and that was one benefit I thought the TV would offer.
I think he is talking about the thrusters...? LTEs, not TVs. I think.
Which would make a lot of sense.

--

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think he is talking about the thrusters...? LTEs, not TVs. I think.
Which would make a lot of sense.

--
Yes, the lateral thrusters. I am going to do some more tests. I may mix the Cobras without the fangs and the lateral thrusters to see how it performs.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought you were running the LT's with the fangs?

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Magnum AK

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So you've been running those without the LT's correct?

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Correct. I am going to try the Magnum AK with the LT's. (Probably)

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
At the end of the day, there is no perfect solution but these products all provide some very solid improvements in handling and usability of our boats.

In my experience with both, the Cobra's are great for enhancing the underway stability and helping off throttle steering (which approaches non-existent in a stock or TV equipped boat, at least until the TV's drop down). Foobars videos showed this very well. The first time a new owner cuts the throttle and tries to steer away from a problem is a true aha or (OS) moment. The feeling of no control is very unsettling. We learn to leave on some power or use some reverse but it is very different.

The reverse ability is improved with both products but is still not great. This is true with inboards as well and an experienced hand can master it by using forward bumps to line up the boat. Outboard / IO people have a challenge making the transition. The LTE's are a huge improvement in this area and are a game changer for me. I am very pleased with the handling of my 210 and will be changing out my 240 this summer. I will miss the enhanced lateral stability at speed but the slow speed handling is more important in my environment.

One other benefit, the ability to move the stern at the dock or with skiers / boarders in the water is nice when you are fighting a wind or drift. Using the one throttle and wheel to one side will step the boat nearly lateral with very little movement.

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Foobar, I’m curious to see if your top speed is reduced going back to the lateral thrusters. Please keep us posted.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Foobar , like others I'm intrigued by the idea of Magnum AK with the LTs - both high speed tracking and fine tuned low speed reverse control. Would be a little worried about the force added to high speed turning without the fangs to counter act. Will be really interested if you give that a try and have any feedback on that aspect.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My input on the subject, lateral thrusters can not effect the top speed of a boat judging by how they are installed.
I can't see how it would do that at all it does not appear to even be feasible going forward , the thrust vector system may have a negative effect on forward top end speed and I too am curious as to the 5 mph increase cause and effect That was obvious.
I suggested it was just the 10 hours on the engine . I believe that I have noticed a slight increase in top speed after a 10 hour break in and I have broken in numerous 1800 engines but Only 1800 models , I have no experience with the other style engines. I admit I did mention the thrust vectors possibly being the cause or at least needing to be eliminated as the cause in a message to foobar but for some reason that was never mentioned.