• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tinted windows

Backwash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did mine myself for $50 with auto zone limo tint. I'm happy with job but will pull off if decide to sell. Not the best but looks good for the funds invested . Not paying $500 for the next guy to enjoy when doesn't increase boat value.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree, there might be/will probably be some durability or longevity issues but for $40 and a little time, I'd bet it would look good for a least a season, more depending on how the boat is treated (covered, cleaned, etc.).
I don't remember if the guys that tinted on the outside of their boats ever posted their long term results.

I thought the tint was better protected from the inside. I was wrong, generally no-one sits on the windows but I often have female passengers who wear rings that sometimes brush up against the inside of the tinted glass. Yeah ....

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I sure like the looks of that Ronnie! Looks like I have another new project to look forward to. Do you apply to the inside to protect the product better?? I could definitely see it being easier on the outside. Thanks for all the advice!!

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
won't last on the out side. The biggest thing with film is don't buy the cheap crap. All film manufactures make a 1 year, 5 year and lifetime film. Don't buy any thing but the Lifetime.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While getting a Rolls Royce Ghost tinted a few months ago, I watched carefully how it was done because any "trade" intrigues me as I like to try everything myself. My tint guy has been tinting since the 80's so he is full of tips and tricks. The rear window in this car has an awkward angle and privacy curtains obstructing both sides. The tinter started by applying baby powder to the exterior of the rear window and then a couple narrow swipes around the window with a wet paper towel so that the tint stuck to the window. After laying the tint on the window he smoothed the tint out by hand and began heating the tint in the areas where it needed to be shrunk. After 10 minutes he was happy with the fit and began to trim the tint to the exact size by looking through the tint at the edges of the rear window (for lack of terminology) black border stuff and around the third brake light. Next he peeled the tint off of the window and began to do the install inside the car with the typical spray bottle and squeegee. Within minutes the tint was installed completely with no trimming and minimal heating. He used the same procedure for the front windshield with exception of waiting to trim the rear view mirror mount so that it was perfect.

So, why don't you suggest this method to your tinters for a boat windshield ? I'm sure this is an industry standard method, but you never know.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thread has been really interesting. The pics of everyone's boat that has tint looks great!

@DCB-270 Definitely give me a shout when you hear something from your tinter. I don't know if I am ready to do it just yet but maybe later in the year. Doing dock calls is a great way to get paid to go to the lake! Love it!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Window film is directional. You cannot place it on the outside. Imagine reversing limo tint and not being able to see out.
The procedure used on an auto is essentally the same as used on a boat.
The baby powder mentioned above is used as a slip agent when heat shrinking the film to conform to the curved glass.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Actually I think tint is not meant or designed to be used on the exterior of windows but people do it and some if not many successfully, at least for a little while. Ive seen pics and read posts about it (one from a guy who installs wraps on boats for a living) but I haven't seen the results in person yet.

I've watched car tinters use the exterior of windows to make the rough cut then do the fine trimming once the tint is installed inside the car. I hadn't heard about the use of baby powder until this string.

Last edited:

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Baby powder and now dryer sheets.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dryer sheets? I must have missed that, what are they for where tinting glass is concerned?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Dryer sheets? I must have missed that, what are they for where tinting glass is concerned?
Scented dryer sheets make your window film smell better.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Okay, maybe a better answer would be....anti-static and a slip agent for lubrication just like water, baby powder, or pure carnuba wax. Better smelling film may just be a byproduct.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Back on the inside/outside application issue. Good film has another ply in the form of a scratch resistant layer which resists scratches. Cheap film may not.
Detergents attack the film bonding adhesives. So no strong cleaners or amonia-based glass cleaner unless you want fingers, bubbling and peeling. Pretty difficult to protect the film on the outside. It may be easier but its the wrong way.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree it is not the right way but its cheaper, faster and easier: $40 v. $300, 2 hours? v. All day and do it at home v. Hooking up & hauling your boat somewhere twice (if the tinter doesn't make dock/house calls).

I wouldn't do it first at this point in my life (now Id just pay) but if I hadn't tinted anything before and was unsuccessful at doing it the right way a few times, I could see saying screw it, put it on the outside and hit the water. When it fails peel and reassess.

This has me curious, I will login to yjb to ask the guy (the wrapper) about his long term results.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think I will have to give it a shot just to see if I can do it. I will use Mr. Analog's advice and apply to the inside. Seeing how I am bald, shouldn't matter if I screw up and want to pull hair out seeing that I have none!! :woot:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good luck! prep well, take your time maybe watch a how to or two on you tube and you should be fine. the other benefit of being bald in this situation is that there is less chance that any hair will get stuck between the window and the tint during installation.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mainly install tint on building windows and get my supplies at the following but they do have some auto stuff. Word to the wise--make sure your tint is made for curves and can be heated.

Www.windowfilmsupplies.com
Www.44tools.com

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Same thing as baby powder without the mess. Lets the film slide while shrinking.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Good luck! prep well, take your time maybe watch a how to or two on you tube and you should be fine. the other benefit of being bald in this situation is that there is less chance that any hair will get stuck between the window and the tint during installation.
Nothing worse than having a hair entombed behind the film.

Just make sure the wind isn't blowing when you release the liner.