• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tips for drivers

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent info! Thanks a ton.

Wakeskating looks awesome by the way! We may get into that as well.
Way less cost and setup up front. I ride a $100 board and use a $50 rope. No ballast bags/pumps/plumbing/etc to worry about. No board racks needed. Everything fits in the ski locker.

I'm not a pro, I just like standing on a board in the water while going faster than I can swim.

Here's the board I ride Here's the Rope and Handle I use

I splurged on the rope and handle. It's well worth it. The handle is super comfy to hang on to all day, and the rope is a stretch free design that feels far better than the poly rope I was using before. That equipment will keep you occupied for several seasons IMO. I know I'm not buying any more equipment until I get Ridesteady installed.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No. Wakeboard first, then try getting up on a wake surf. I could probably wake surf on a wake board if the wave was decent, but I've been on a wake board for over 20 years. You can have fun wake surfing on even tiny waves, but you'll need a rope. For me wake surfing is something you can try when it's too rough to wakeboard. There is no way I'll spend $$$$ and have bags all over to try and get a Yamaha to have a good wave. I'll have way more fun on a regular surf board and a regular ski rope. Been doing that for 20 years too!
That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I am not willing to add ballasts and pumps and all on my boat to be able to TRY surfing. But, knowing I can surf with a rope, maybe I'll try to borrow a board and see what it's like. Time for some YouTube videos to see how to even begin!!!

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The guy we bought the boat from said they would have their heaviest guy on the boat sit in the bow it would make a decent wake to surf with the rope. I’m not too concerned with a wedge or flap, I want to get up and practice before investing time and or money into building or buying a wedge or flap.

I’ll be attempting to place my 750 on the swim deck. And what I thought was a 250lbs bag (after airing it up and taken measurements looks more like 400-500) In the bow area using who ever is in the boat on surf side.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you located? Surely there is someone nearby that can help with the learning process.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in Washington state. I think we will be fine just need some more attempts and practice. We’ve only giving it a few attempts each last weekend on the Columbia river. And even though it was 80+ degrees out the water was ice cold. It also didn’t help that we were both fighting the rope
And pushing our legs out against the board.. made a cool submarine haha. Didn’t realize we needed to keep our knees bent and butt tucked to the board.. hopefully soon I’ll find time to go spend the day out on the lake close to home that has a little warmer water and practice all day.

Last edited:

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The river tends to be really choppy especially with the wind.. big boat traffic, etc..

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It wasn’t too bad. We were right out in front of entiat Park, wasn’t a lot of boats out at the time. But the water was so cold I could hardly breath, on top of it I had surgery on my hand a month ago and was trying to take it easy.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I am not willing to add ballasts and pumps and all on my boat to be able to TRY surfing. But, knowing I can surf with a rope, maybe I'll try to borrow a board and see what it's like. Time for some YouTube videos to see how to even begin!!!
We should be at hartwell this weekend if my high school friend and wife dont bail on us. we have some ballast and a board/rope.

Where do yall normally take the boat?

My wife is learning 3 different weekends and she is staying up longer and longer she never has tried wakeboarding.

Haven't put the ballast on for her as she is just learning. She is also learning to drive the boat so I haven't messed with much ballast. I can get up easy (got up 2nd time ever in a wakeboard 18 years ago).

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We should be at hartwell this weekend if my high school friend and wife dont bail on us. we have some ballast and a board/rope.

Where do yall normally take the boat?

My wife is learning 3 different weekends and she is staying up longer and longer she never has tried wakeboarding.

Haven't put the ballast on for her as she is just learning. She is also learning to drive the boat so I haven't messed with much ballast. I can get up easy (got up 2nd time ever in a wakeboard 18 years ago).
We normally go to Keowee but do go to Hartwell on occasions. Unfortunately, we have plans with friends on Keowee this weekend though.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
In the op you mentioned trying to tie off to the wake side cleat. I don’t believe I saw this discussed in all the replies you got. But that sounds not good. The ski line cleat is usually more reinforced for pulling than a side cleat. I’d be afraid of damaging that side cleat. Anyone else have a thought?

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not tried it yet, they feel pretty solid. I read on another forum some one uses the surf side cleat for surfing BUT it was also a different boat..

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the op you mentioned trying to tie off to the wake side cleat. I don’t believe I saw this discussed in all the replies you got. But that sounds not good. The ski line cleat is usually more reinforced for pulling than a side cleat. I’d be afraid of damaging that side cleat. Anyone else have a thought?
+1

I would not use the cleat for anything other than holding a rope at a dock.

Just use the tow/tube point on the swim deck. It will be harder to get up because of no tower but it's certainly do-able. It will just take a little more time and patience.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve watched that video and more like it, but I really wanted to hear from how you guys as Yamaha drivers pull surfers up. In those videos every now and then is some driver tips but it’s always wake boats. So really was wondering if there was any different techniques Yamaha guys are doing.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No different than what any other boat would do to pull up a person IMO. Just understand that the throttle(s) on these boats is SUPER sensitive. My boat has the supercharger so you have to pay extra attention to the throttle. No ham fisting it. For those reasons I keep my arm resting on the fiberglass and only use my wrist to apply throttle or I'll rest the palm of my hand on the binnacle housing and use my fingers to slowly add/subtract throttle. Seems to help make things smoother.

I also have a Liquid Force Fish 5'6". You may want a larger/custom board for your size but you can figure that out later on when/if you get bit by the surfing bug. I'm about your dads size. No sense in spending big $$$ on a custom board if you're not going to be into the sport. Dip your toe in first and see how you like it then go from there.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At around the 1:47 mark you can see where we pulled up a surfer. Nothing too different from the wake boat guys.

Without a tower just means that coming up will take a little longer and more patience. The board does a lot of the work for you with water pushing against it. What a tower does help with though is keeping the rope at an angle that can be used to help balance you. I think you'll be fine. Have fun!

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just use steady not slow not wot steady speed to get boat moving then tap back down to about 6500-7000rpm pending on weight.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does pretty well. Stays on top of the water but just barely noticeable due to size. Get a brighter color than brown for certain!

No stretch line is a completely changed riding experience.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Wakesurfing and skating are way easier on your knees. If you can ride a board it's all relatively easy.