• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To the folks thinking of buying a Yamaha: I will never buy one again.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So they admit to a problem by adding drains to later years but wont fess up and repair older towers, wow
Next up:
Redesigned 2019 AR240 tower locks.
(Wanna bet?)

Not that there is anything wrong with those, LOL, it's just regular QI.

--

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Next up:
Redesigned 2019 AR240 tower locks.
(Wanna bet?)

Not that there is anything wrong with those, LOL, it's just regular QI.

--
Pay no attention. Nothing to see here. LOL!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree that this criticism to the brand is well warranted.

I can think of 3 different scenarios.

Shame at issue, so intentionally irrationally deny.

More cost effective to ignore than to repair. (Assumes someone ran the numbers and determined this to be true. I don't know if this is accurate)

Incompetence.

Only way this changes is with pressure. For those that this happens to, i wish you good luck and i encourage you to do your best to change the equation so it is the best option to nicely fix the issue. I'm sorry to say i don't know how.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Funny how everyone is calling their boat a POS. Maybe I missed it but only one person said the design of the tower on the AR was a POS.. not the whole boat.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Funny how everyone is calling their boat a POS. Maybe I missed it but only one person said the design of the tower on the AR was a POS.. not the whole boat.
It was in response to a troll who called Yamahas POSs a few days ago on this thread. Of course, we're just being sarcastic. But you make a good point that you were only talking about the tower and not the actual boat. He didn't get that part.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I belong to enough boat forums to know that all boats have issues. I’ve seen enough $150-200k boats with the same issues that folks see on this forum.

Buy the boat that makes you happiest and enjoy it. Fix it when it breaks. Mod it to make it yours.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing I've learned in the working world is, Not every customer can be satisfied. Hope things work out for all the ones that had bad experiences.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not that I would call Yamaha boats a POS, but they are lower end boats at least imo, so some issues you do have to write off as expected or "you get what you pay for". Not that that is an insult because the only boat I can afford is a lower end. 10 years ago the top of the line Yamaha offering was around 45k, now it's close to 70k. It's pretty clear that Yamaha was making their name in the value boat market where maybe they got away with less quality, and it wasn't until somewhat recently that they've really started upping the prices. To me they are a company that's transitioning and haven't quite upgraded their QC or costumer service to correspond to their new price tags.

I always did roll my eyes how Yamaha will use as a positive how they manufacture their hulls and engines so your warranty issues were under 1 roof. As if that means anything.

I wouldn't really classify these tower issues as "you get what you pay for" though, as I wouldn't expect even cheaper towers to collapse or bust from freezing. It's not like draining towers and or secondary lock mechanisms are expensive features, nor are towers a complex piece of machinery.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not that I would call Yamaha boats a POS, but they are lower end boats at least imo, so some issues you do have to write off as expected or "you get what you pay for". Not that that is an insult because the only boat I can afford is a lower end. 10 years ago the top of the line Yamaha offering was around 45k, now it's close to 70k. It's pretty clear that Yamaha was making their name in the value boat market where maybe they got away with less quality, and it wasn't until somewhat recently that they've really started upping the prices. To me they are a company that's transitioning and haven't quite upgraded their QC or costumer service to correspond to their new price tags.

I always did roll my eyes how Yamaha will use as a positive how they manufacture their hulls and engines so your warranty issues were under 1 roof. As if that means anything.

I wouldn't really classify these tower issues as "you get what you pay for" though, as I wouldn't expect even cheaper towers to collapse or bust from freezing. It's not like draining towers and or secondary lock mechanisms are expensive features, nor are towers a complex piece of machinery.
Maybe to put it another way, when you are trying to cram value into a price point something has to suffer. In this case it seems to be customer service. Seems like the best Yamaha to get is the one from the last year before a big change because they eventually fix the problems before they roll off the line... Just not a second after.

The thing is, I sit here title in hand and I'm pissed. Then I think about all the people that bought these boats on 15 year notes. They are half way through paying for a boat the manufacturer won't support even for questions using the manufacturers branded financing. Guessing most of them will be upside down for another year or two. Lots of life lessons in this thread.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Maybe to put it another way, when you are trying to cram value into a price point something has to suffer. In this case it seems to be customer service. Seems like the best Yamaha to get is the one from the last year before a big change because they eventually fix the problems before they roll off the line... Just not a second after.

The thing is, I sit here title in hand and I'm pissed. Then I think about all the people that bought these boats on 15 year notes. They are half way through paying for a boat the manufacturer won't support even for questions using the manufacturers branded financing. Guessing most of them will be upside down for another year or two. Lots of life lessons in this thread.
I don't think it is quite this bleak. As a victim of the failed timing chain and gear, I have plenty to be disappointed with Yamaha about. In the last year, my engine, throttle body, and steering components were all replaced under warranty. I have never owned a vehicle with that many serious problems. I am glad Yamaha stood behind their warranty without a fight but through the entire experience, they did nothing to make me feel like a respected customer. They did everything at their convenience and even denied sending the dealer the wrong head.

I know that their boats are built to a price point and if you compare features, the Yamaha appears to be a good value; they just need to do some more work to ensure that it remains a good value. I don't think it is too much to ask that a $35K vehicle with a four cylinder engine, no transmission, air bags, air conditioning, and many other expensive components of an automobile, should have better quality control; especially from a respected Japanese manufacturer like Yamaha.

I am not too worried about being upside down on my loan since I only took their financing because the rate was too low to refuse and I had to take the financing to get the extended warranty. I didn't ask for the 15 year term but it keeps the payments low until I am ready to pay it off.

My boat made it through the summer without any problems. I hope that trend continues.

What worries me now is out-of-warranty repairs. I don't have the necessary diagnostic equipment and I don't know of an independent mechanic that has it either. I am concerned that if something fails out-of-warranty, if I take it to the dealer, I am at their mercy on turnaround time and outrageous factory parts prices. Before my warranty runs out, I need to either get the diagnostic tools myself or find an independent shop that I can count on. Since the mechanicals are basically Waverunner parts, there is no reason we can't keep these boats running for a long time with little drama.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how widespread is the tower freezing issue? This is the first I've read about it, but I've only been looking into boats a couple of years. I know the tower collapse has only happened to 1 user, but certainly serves as an important PSA for those with similar towers. How is so much water getting in there that it's going to freeze and burst/warp the tubing?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how widespread is the tower freezing issue? This is the first I've read about it, but I've only been looking into boats a couple of years. I know the tower collapse has only happened to 1 user, but certainly serves as an important PSA for those with similar towers. How is so much water getting in there that it's going to freeze and burst/warp the tubing?
https://jetboaters.net/threads/wake-tower-cross-beam-bending-ballooning.5119/

With the AR tower falling, I hope it does not happen to anyone and would like to think I've had something to do with it. Just talked to another member here, who is local, and with the AR240 - they actually now have a schedule for monitoring the bolts. He totally credited my misfortune for that, which is great.

I think that in reality, once you know the damn thing can actually fall on you, that is more that half the battle!

For example I don't think it would ever happen to me had I known it were an even remote possibility!

But I can also tell you that I have been out about 10k fixing my boat after my Bimini trip, with not one iota of help from Yamaha. Nothing - but extra aggravation from them. Well, I guess I can watch their Bimini commercials for consolation (sarcasm).

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Low end boats I would have to disagree. You win some and lose some. I have friends that own Super Natiques, Centurions and Master crafts. First I hear more complaints from them than any Yamaha owner. Second, I leave everyone of them in the dust when we go out cruising to our destinations spots. Besides them putting out better wakes, there is nothing about their boats that mine can't do plus some. Most of them complain about harsh rides in windy rough conditions and not mention getting wet all the time with splashing water from the low hulls of those such boats. Now you right they probably spent $90k and up for those toys but the price does not really justify what is high end or not. Master craft has probably the strudiest tower on the market but at what price you pay for that? With Yamahas you lose the hardcore sporting aspects and elaborate interior designs. Both I care less about. Plus all those boats I've named up there, it seems they are sitting in the party cove the majority of the day with us? So kinda lame excuse for them saying they want a wakeboard/surf boat when most of their times are spent floating. I've came to realize now days its all about just saying you own one rather than using it to it's full capabilities. Either way everyone has their own tastes and what they consider a good purchase I believe.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://jetboaters.net/threads/wake-tower-cross-beam-bending-ballooning.5119/

With the AR tower falling, I hope it does not happen to anyone and would like to think I've had something to do with it. Just talked to another member here, who is local, and with the AR240 - they actually now have a schedule for monitoring the bolts. He totally credited my misfortune for that, which is great.

I think that in reality, once you know the damn thing can actually fall on you, that is more that half the battle!

For example I don't think it would ever happen to me had I known it were an even remote possibility!

But I can also tell you that I have been out about 10k fixing my boat after my Bimini trip, with not one iota of help from Yamaha. Nothing - but extra aggravation from them. Well, I guess I can watch their Bimini commercials for consolation (sarcasm).

--
I guess I was more keen to paying attention to the tower when I installed my stereo system @swatski. The up and downing of the tower help me see those issues early on. Now when I put my speakers on and before I unload unto the water, tightening the tower has always been in the checklist. I should have mentioned it to folks when I noticed that last December. I spent lots of time taking it up and down and realizing it was not always locking into place.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I belong to enough boat forums to know that all boats have issues. I’ve seen enough $150-200k boats with the same issues that folks see on this forum.

Buy the boat that makes you happiest and enjoy it. Fix it when it breaks. Mod it to make it yours.
This is a sentiment I have echoed on other posts regarding QC issues. All you need do is go to their forums and see the complaints. But, as one of our members said, this forum includes a lot of issues because we reach out to one another for solutions. The same with the Chevy (don't get me started) forum I belong to. If all the forum did was post positive experiences, I'd be a little suspicious. Overall, I think we see most positive posts here due to Yamahas reliability and ease of diy.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I personally feel the greatest gripe at hand is their unwillingness to own up to the issues at hand, even if just to admit there is a problem. There is great competition on cars and most dealers are decent at warranty service. (only VW has kept a car over a single day from me, and when they did so (multiple times) they gave me a loaners.) This expectation does not appear to translate to boats at all.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I was more keen to paying attention to the tower when I installed my stereo system @swatski. The up and downing of the tower help me see those issues early on. Now when I put my speakers on and before I unload unto the water, tightening the tower has always been in the checklist. I should have mentioned it to folks when I noticed that last December. I spent lots of time taking it up and down and realizing it was not always locking into place.
Sure.
So, do you tighten the tower while you cruise?

I honestly did not use to watch it while under way. And that's what almost killed me.

Now of course, I have this figured out.

--

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think what everyone here is forgetting is that this wasn't about our boats being crap but more about Yamaha horrible customer service with even minor issues. They deny deny deny when you call and tell you to deal with your local dealer. If you have a good dealer they will work with you and get things done but if you have a bad dealer you're screwed. Things that should be fixed by the manufactuer, design issues, don't get done unless to do it yourself because they won't admit the design is bad. 2 big items I know about are the wrong battery voltages being displayed and the AR tower bolts which nether are fixed in current models and going back to 2015 models.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think what everyone here is forgetting is that this wasn't about our boats being crap but more about Yamaha horrible customer service with even minor issues. They deny deny deny when you call and tell you to deal with your local dealer. If you have a good dealer they will work with you and get things done but if you have a bad dealer you're screwed. Things that should be fixed by the manufactuer, design issues, don't get done unless to do it yourself because they won't admit the design is bad. 2 big items I know about are the wrong battery voltages being displayed and the AR tower bolts which nether are fixed in current models and going back to 2015 models.
And...who can forget the infamous plastic scupper valve situated below the waterline that almost sank a few boats on this forum and would have jeopardized more had this group not brought the problem to the surface. Yes, Yamaha quietly resolved that by relocating the scupper valve above the waterline.

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
tragically many of these issues are minor and could be easily avoided upfront or at least settled with the smallest amount of customer care. Other problems, like the falling towers may just take the lawyers to resolve.
In my case, it was a few little things, leaking anchor locker drain. Cracked door flange due to over tightening and misaligned screws.

But overall, we really love the design and usability of the boat. I can only imagine what these reviews and forums would read like if they cared about their customers. Dealers cannot provide good service without the support of the manufacturer.

As I put my 17 SX210 away for its first Michigan winter, I again appreciated the design and mostly this forum and all the community and support it provides. Again, Yamaha should take note.