• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake tower cross beam bending, ballooning.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Has anyone ever ran into this before? This is the lowest cross beam on the forward swept tower. I didn't notice it last season, just now. Any ideas?

Bent, balloning.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The other side is fine.
image.jpg

Rich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about the tower aspect but had a pontoon boat that the rails did similar on. I figured it was moisture during the winter that froze and ballooned it. Just an FYI the following year the rail split at the seam.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also am thinking that water may have gotten in there and frozen over the winter.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure no tubers on the tower. I actually saw a boat get pulled down and capsize when making a sharp turn to whip the tubers out. The point is too high for that kinda weight. Just a thought

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely looks like some water froze in there to me.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look for cracks in the welds at both ends of that swollen piece. Perfect water entry point. Yamaha might be drilling drain holes in there as a "fix".

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check the front of the tower for signs that it hit something?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
All the welds are solid so I have no idea how water would have got in there? No cracks or anything like that. Definitely no damage to the front of the tower.

Rich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do I see a disconnect for power in the pic. Prob running down wires through grommet

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Do I see a disconnect for power in the pic. Pods running down wires through grommet
Yes. But the cross beam is welded to a solid tube. I don't believe there would be any way for water to travel from the tower tube into the cross beam.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just found the same issue on the same side of my boat. Have you learned anything new?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Nothing! That's crazy. I actually was driving home last night thinking about it and how I can't be the only one!

I guess my theory of the storage unit owner setting a 2x8 across the tower braces and then stacking crap on it is out the window.

Freezing water is now out also since yours happened in the middle of the summer.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, I got this. It's simple really...it's on the driver's side, right?

Well we all know how exciting it can be to drive a Yamaha. What has occurred here is the concentration of mental energy that somehow focused on that tube - probably since it's close to your noggin...If you've ever seen the Amazing Kreskin, you know what I'm talking about.

It's called psychokinesis. We all have it to a certain degree...you must have tons of this stuff. So stay away from metal stuff that you don't want to bend- especially when you are excited! :winkingthumbsup"

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nothing! That's crazy. I actually was driving home last night thinking about it and how I can't be the only one!

I guess my theory of the storage unit owner setting a 2x8 across the tower braces and then stacking crap on it is out the window.

Freezing water is now out also since yours happened in the middle of the summer.
Could still be freezing water. I just noticed mine while getting the boat ready for summer. It was a busy couple of months at work.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Could still be freezing water. I just noticed mine while getting the boat ready for summer. It was a busy couple of months at work.
Gotcha. I just don't understand how water could get in there? all the welds on mine were solid when looking at them.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gotcha. I just don't understand how water could get in there? all the welds on mine were solid when looking at them.
The only thing I can think of is there must be some sort of notch in the tower tubes that opens to that area.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
The only thing I can think of is there must be some sort of notch in the tower tubes that opens to that area.
I wonder if its worth drilling out a couple small holes in both sides prior to this winters storage?