• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top end rebuild

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started on my rebuild and I thought I would document what I could. This is my STBD engine and I am doing the rebuild while the engine is in the boat.

- For the breakdown, I just pulled off what I needed to in order to pull off the cylinder (air intake, exhaust, exhaust bracket, etc. I also moved the engine forward since I wanted to replace the entire immediate bearing assembly to eliminate a slow leak that I had. The hardest part for me was removing the circlips that hold the piston on but I had a sharp pick tool that was able to fit in the groove and pry out the clip. I had to use a scope camera that I bought off amazon and it was so helpful to see the clips and understand how they work.
- For the rebuild, I sent the cylinder out to fullboreonline and ordered their premium top end kit. They bored and cleaned my cylinders, fit the right size pistons, rings, bearings, circlips, and included the necessary gaskets. I am very happy with the quality of this kit and fullboreonline answers the phone when I call and have so much expertise to share. Everything I had hoped for
- I cleaned up the cylinder head with brake cleaner and cleaned up all areas from where the cyljnder was removed. Fortunately this was the oem top end and there weren’t any sealants used on gaskets leaving the surfaces pretty clean.
- I installed one of the circlips on each piston (outside of the boat). Be sure to install the opening of the clip at the top for WSM pistons as noted in the instructions. (Note - my kit was WSM so my notes here are for that brand specifically. Follow any instructions you get with any other kit). I found it easy to install the clips if you put the open end into the hole at 90 degrees and then press on the end that is sticking out of the hole and rotate it into the hole. Then press on the ring with a flathead to make sure it is fully seated into the groove. Critical step!
- I then sprayed my head gasket and exhaust gaskets with permatex copper gasket spray. They are multi- ply, metal gaskets and riveted together. I will not use any sealant on the cyljnder gasket which is a material gasket and is installed dry at the factory as well. Some use sealant here but you shouldn’t have to if you have clean surfaces. Thanks fullboreonline
- I installed each piston, arrow on piston facing the exhaust, including the new bearing, wrist pin, and circlips. Note that for this WSM piston kit they specifically state NOT to use the bearing washers. Tip: I used one of the original wrist pins to press the clip into the grooves and this worked perfectly. (see picture)
- Once all pistons were on the cranks, I put the rings (2) on each piston. There is a long edge on the ring opening and that faces down and seats around a “nub” in the ring groove to keep the ring from spinning. Note that the ring openings should be on the opposite side of the exhaust.

I’ll edit this and add more tomorrow when hopefully I finish up putting it all back together. Sunday may be the break in and it should be 80 degrees

Attachments

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rebuild went great and engine started out of water. Biggest tip I have is to pay attention to the service manual when installing heads and cylinder since almost everything requires Loctite thread sealant (PST). I went through 2 tubes. I am very happy with this fullbore kit in terms of ease of putting it together.

Now for the bad news - I have a leak on the carbs for the other engine which I rebuilt and then rebuilt again (1 carb) when it was leaking. Sending out for a full rebuild/remanufacture to make them better than new.

Cleaned up the boat today and will cover with a new cover tomorrow.... next spring, I will bolt on the new carbs and we should be almost better than new. Great weekend working on the boat!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
9EF180E6-6350-4232-BCA0-DA578C796350.jpeg Carbs are done and look brand new thanks to Jetski Solutions. Unreal! I am not installing until the next season and I may get the other rack done as well over the winter.

Not a great pic but it is secured to wood which is glued to the box and I want to keep this in tact.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice!!! To lengthen the life of the carbs on an older boat I had, I installed 2 fuel filter/water separators in series...it may seem like overkill but frequently the second filter was dirty too..this would make them last 3-5 years instead of 1-2. (It was a SeaDoo though)

Best of luck. Those carbs look brand spanking new!!!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed the carbs today and the engine started up after sitting all winter. So great but I know that in the water and under load might require carb adjustments. The boat now has a new rebuilt engine STBD, new carbs on PORT, And new intermediate bearing assembly. It should be a great summer

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Installed the carbs today and the engine started up after sitting all winter. So great but I know that in the water and under load might require carb adjustments. The boat now has a new rebuilt engine STBD, new carbs on PORT, And new intermediate bearing assembly. It should be a great summer

Awesome news! As long as the motor is stock the factory carb settings should work perfect. If they don't something else is possibly wrong. Where did the new carbs come from? Do you have specs on what jets/springs/mixture screw settings were used?

EDIT: Read above. WOW those things look fantastic! If they paid that much attention to detail I would say they should be good to go out of box.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
today was the maiden voyage with the new top end rebuild on one engine and a new carb rack on the other side. Also a new impeller housing (plastic) since the other one was trashed. The boat ran great and runs faster than ever.

Kudos to fullboreonline for the top end parts/machining and jetskisolutions for the rebuilt carbs. So awesome!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice!