• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top Speed RPM Question

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Noko and @swatski So I spoke to the owner of www.4-tecperformance.com Jerry he was very helpful and responsive and he emailed vtech to verify. The VTech Map tuner will remap our ECU's to raise the rpm limiter. Below is the email I got from him.

Okay great, looks like they share ECUs with a normal PWC then.
So yes it should work - you will need a Maptuner with Yamaha Cable and 2x licenses.

(maptuner, cable, and 1 license)

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_181&products_id=3235

(1 additional license)
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_181&products_id=3234

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Robert.

So who is going to be first to try this?:)

Any ideas of I do the reflash if it voids my warranty? I think I got one year left on my warranty so I might wait to drop the cash on this. If I could boost the HP to 240, I'd be interested. I have the ribbon delete but I haven't put it in yet.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Noko and @swatski So I spoke to the owner of www.4-tecperformance.com Jerry he was very helpful and responsive and he emailed vtech to verify. The VTech Map tuner will remap our ECU's to raise the rpm limiter. Below is the email I got from him.

Okay great, looks like they share ECUs with a normal PWC then.
So yes it should work - you will need a Maptuner with Yamaha Cable and 2x licenses.

(maptuner, cable, and 1 license)

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_181&products_id=3235

(1 additional license)
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_181&products_id=3234

Robert - thank you for following up on this.
I am very interested in this ECU mod, wouldn't mind experiment a bit, however I am not confident that using ski-specific maps is the way to go. I would think fuel/timing mapping for the boat would be quite different than a ski, even with the exact same engine, requiring at least some water (or at the least dyno) testing...
Our 1.8l NA engines are rated at 180hp so there is not way a Stage 1 remapping with no additional mods would get you to 240-250hp which they claim... Or is there?
Hmm.. What to do...? I wish I knew more about it to make an educated decision.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am guessing it would net 20 hp with ribbon delete and filter as well. Of course, yamaha may under-rated the hp which means you could have more than 180 to begin with. Either way, 20hp bump is pretty significant.
I wouldn't worry about a boat specific tune either. Jet pump loading should help you, not hurt you in this case.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am guessing it would net 20 hp with ribbon delete and filter as well. Of course, yamaha may under-rated the hp which means you could have more than 180 to begin with. Either way, 20hp bump is pretty significant.
I wouldn't worry about a boat specific tune either. Jet pump loading should help you, not hurt you in this case.
@Speedling Thank you, that makes sense. I would prefer to send-out my ECU unit for remapping though (I think), not sure I would have much use for a tuner? I certainly have no intention of developing new maps... unless someone wants to play with it - I would gladly volunteer my boat. Would trhat be a good idea for a group buy?

Michel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Robert - thank you for following up on this.
I am very interested in this ECU mod, wouldn't mind experiment a bit, however I am not confident that using ski-specific maps is the way to go. I would think fuel/timing mapping for the boat would be quite different than a ski, even with the exact same engine, requiring at least some water (or at the least dyno) testing...
Our 1.8l NA engines are rated at 180hp so there is not way a Stage 1 remapping with no additional mods would get you to 240-250hp which they claim... Or is there?
Hmm.. What to do...? I wish I knew more about it to make an educated decision.

Yes you are correct, that power is an example on another engine modell that shows.

Here you can see a list of some general Stage 1 tune examples.

Yamaha engines. (some used in Jetboats)

Here is a list with some more crafts/engines that are supported with the handheld.
(Some of them are used in jetboats )

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those numbers match what I was thinking that it was the sho engine that would go to 250hp. With the supercharger being able to increase boost I figured that would be why the larger increase. With the 20hp gain per engine if I had to guess this would probably supply a 3-5 mph gain depending on the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Michel That sounds great. I am very interested in pursuing this upgrade, preferably as a send-out service with my ECU. Is this something you could facilitate?

I have also contacted Jerry at pwc.performance about this mod.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, in line with what @robert843 already reported, here is the response from Jerry, who was very prompt. I don't really know what to think, it is $1,500 for a twin engine boat (a single engine boat like mine would be $900). But I don't really need to own a tuner...
The way I think about it, it's a no brainer if I can pay someone reputable $400-500 to remap my ECU for "Stage 1" as a send-out, with an option of resetting it back to factory settings for no additional cost if I dont like it for whatever reason.

"Hi Swat, okay I did receive the confirmation from V-Tech. You can indeed use the V-Tech maptuner system to reflash the ECU's in the Sport Boats on the 2012 crafts as they share the same ECU as the personal watercraft skis.

you will need a Maptuner with Yamaha Cable and 2x licenses. (one tuning license for each ECU)

(maptuner, cable, and 1 license sold a a tuning bundle package)

(1 additional license)

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks
Jerry"

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the idea of someone else doing the reflash. I'd be interested. I can't get back to the boat until Jan.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From that chart, I gather you would have to run premium gas? Wonder what the mph gain would actually be for doing this?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Craig "Stage 1" type of ECU reflash is not octane specific, requires no additional mods, and is 89 and 91 octane safe. The boost and RPM gains are relatively modest and I couldn't find any examples of people blowing their engines up at that level of ECU upgrade.

I am about to pull the trigger, trying to figure out the best way to go about it... I will report back.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, so I pulled the trigger for "V-Tech Mapuner with Tuning License Bundle Pack For 2009-2013 Yamaha Skis" through Greenhulk store. It includes several maps and a reset option. They have already sent me a tunning credit/license code and a pdf with instructions. Looks like it should be fun!
I must say - I wish some of my coworkers would be as responsive as that guy Jerry at Greenhulk :winkingthumbsup".

I will report back, hopefully still this season.

I'm primarily just curious about what it can do... will see.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very interested to so how this goes. Good luck man. Maybe you started a new business here lol if it goes well you could charge people to have them send you there ecu for a reflassh

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 thank you, I will certainly keep you guys posted on my progress.

All kidding aside, making these tools must be one tough business model from the developers POV. The only way they can make money really is to control the license code, otherwise we could all share the tool...

I would think however, if this whole idea of the ECU reflash works with jet boats as well as skis, one would want to argue for substantial discounts for the second license for twin engine boat owners, basically the majority of Yamaha boaters.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all, Pulling this thread back from 2015...

I'm another guy with a 2013 AR240 CARB boat from River Valley.

On hot/humid days (80+) at 840ft a.s.l., I get about 7250 on starboard and 7000 port.

Would like higher RPMs and hoping to hit 50mph at WOT.

What is involved in removing the filters, and what is this "ribbon" people are speaking of? I unsnapped the box but appears there are screws holding the filters in(?) Do I need to remove the airboxes to get the filters out? Should the airboxes remain with no filter?

Thanks!
Nick/WP

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have lost 200-300 rpms on the starboard motor as well as 4 mph top end on my 2016. Ordered plugs to see if that helps.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have lost 200-300 rpms on the starboard motor as well as 4 mph top end on my 2016. Ordered plugs to see if that helps.
Where were you running at and where are you running at now?

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I do not remember the top end rpms exactly but I do feel like both engines were right at 7800 at 50mph with full tank and family and now 7600-7700 port and 7300-7400 starboard WOT at 46-47 mph with family and full to empty tank...

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I do not remember the top end rpms exactly but I do feel like both engines were right at 7800 at 50mph with full tank and family and now 7600-7700 port and 7300-7400 starboard WOT at 46-47 mph with family and full to empty tank...
Thanks

I'm only asking as I have only seen the same as you are now. An occasional 48mph. Have not seen a 50 ever. Are you using the sigle lever option?