• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Tossing it out there; any Viper owners?

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking into picking up an 02 GTS from Texas and using it as my daily driver. Diesel Excursion is a bit large (and boring) to drive to/from work every day.

Wondering if there are any actual owners here with real self experience on daily driving maintenance etc?

I don't have one of those and have never been in one, but I say go for it! Sure, it will ride rough, be loud, be inefficient on gas and not have a ton of room...but who cares?! I rode a motorcycle as a daily driver for years and it was more of all of those things (except a gas guzzler), but it was worth it. It would be cool to have a car like that at least once in your life! If you don't end up liking it, you can always sell.

Here is a good article on the topic http://www.viperclub.org/howto/faqs/can-the-viper-be-a-daily-driver.php

When we lived in England I had some sort of sports car as our only car much of the time. The roads and driving conditions were suitable most of the time.

Back in Arkansas we have an auto cross tuned car that is fun for weekend trips but I would not want to drive daily.

Personally I would consider something German and sporty for a daily driver. The German options are more comfortable for city driving, corner better for spirited driving and handle rough surfaces better. But that Viper sure can throw you back in the seat!

I used to be in the Auto industry and we had a Viper once. The one thing that sticks in my mind was this particular motor needed a new hood, now I'm not really sure if it was because it would need to be shipped to me here in the UK, but boy, was it a price.
Check price on spares, but most of all, check that hood (bonnet as we call it ;))

New hoods are 2500 as it's a full clamshell so to speak. Clutch R&R is only 3.6 hours, front brakes with rotor replacement calls for 1.8 hours etc.

I'm not looking for refined rides, or crazy hp. If I wanted those the new Mustangs or GT500's give both. Also ive never cared for Vettes, owned 2. I've heard daily driving a Viper is like a dentist using a bazooka every day. Rented one for a weekend a while back, loved it however the one I rented was an RT10, I learned if I ever did purchase it would need to be a GTS.

Last edited:
I was at the dealer once back int the 90s when a deal on a viper fell through. The would be buyer was financing the deal and his insurance Quote came back at $7k a year back when the viper sold for $77ish K.

On another note here is a link about a viper without a body and salvaged title being sold on craigslist in Utah for $15k.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/molted...or-sale-only-15k-for-almost-limitless-danger/

Hahaha, the past few days my "friends" all sent me that link. Funny guys!

Hahaha, the past few days my "friends" all sent me that link. Funny guys!
Yeah rebuilding that is way out I my league but some guys here, especially some posting on the hot rod thread may think its a perfect project . I wouldn't be surprised if the engine costs more than $15k.

Anyway good luck with the decision and purchase if there is one.

That can be a difficult car to tame given the power, rear wheel drive, and weight. A friend bought one when he sold his company and he wrecked it on the first day. I think there are better daily and all weather cars (rain). I think it is a great sports car to have for the nicer days

Actually I was thinking the same thing but this is Cali and we are in a drought. There are only 3 rainy months usually last year I think we had less than 50 wet days. Plus it's got to be better as a daily than an excursion.

@ Hidnnos if you get it are you taking it on a road trip back? Could be a kick ass trip on Route 66.

Yes, my uncle lives in Texas and his wife is a Southwest pilot so she gets me stand by passes. I'd fly out and drive it back. Last time I drove there it was in my son's new Mazda 3. I would still live by 4mph over the posted limit but the ride would be thrilling given the transportation.

Went 2 hours away to have my wife's wedding ring repaired (lost diamond/lifetime warranty) and ended up purchasing a 2012 GT500 with 6,700 miles. VERY unplanned for. Now I need to fire sale my old boat and Nissan Sentra due to lacking room..... 550 hp stock. 100+ with a pulley and dyno tune from my work..... We'll see. I actually have 5 days behind the wheel to decide if the car is right for me. I can return it 100% penalty free.... We will see

20141025_153636.jpg

Wow, expensive ring repair @HidnNOS. :) Great looking ride. enjoy.

Sweet ride!
Doesn't it concern you how THAT car made its way into the Carmax circuit?

@Murf'n'surf Not at all. They had two, a newer Viper WAY out of my range, 3 40+K CTS V's on their Fairfield lot alone. Hundreds of cars. Vettes, Camaros (1 zli?) Etc. No crappy cars out of all the cars. Not what I would have expected. Excellent buying experience.

I've heard good things about Carmax locally. The Carmax owner/founder is actually a local big-wig in the Naples area although he spends more time in Canada.

I'm just a born sceptic, I worry about everything when it comes to preowned.

Went to my local credit union and shopped the Carmax loan. With the new % rate I save $100 per month for the life of the loan (will not go full term) so that's nuts! With the lower payment and savings, car is being kept. Thing is crazy to drive, will see next Wednesday what I can get out of it in the 1/4

With or without Nitrous? Not sure that you would NOS that one.

I race in the 24 hours of lemons. If you haven't done it, put it on the list.

Back