• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Are there any cons to running steering assist fins?

@Txbred Your nozzle's sound like they are not aligned properly. I would get that squared away first, then set the fins to spec. I had a similar issue and even lost some mph when I first put them on. I went back and made sure everything was aligned properly and speed came back and tracking was straight.

@Txbred Your nozzle's sound like they are not aligned properly. I would get that squared away first, then set the fins to spec. I had a similar issue and even lost some mph when I first put them on. I went back and made sure everything was aligned properly and speed came back and tracking was straight.

It might be an 1/8th off . I'll need to take it back apart And get it corrected. The 2 times Iyook it out after the install it was 15- 20 mph winds so I thought maybe it could be the wind but the last time it was at most 5mph AND still slightly pulls to the right.

do you like those trim tabs? what do you usually use them for?

Trim tabs should be standard factory equipment on the larger Yamaha's. They own Bennett trim tabs for cryin out loud. They stop the bow from porposing in the chop and others' wakes and waves up to about 2 feet. They force the bow down making a smoother ride in the bow. My wife declared the Lectrotabs, the best ride comfort mod I put on the boat. You know, happy wife, happy life.

Trim tabs should be standard factory equipment on the larger Yamaha's. They own Bennett trim tabs for cryin out loud. They stop the bow from porposing in the chop and others' wakes and waves up to about 2 feet. They force the bow down making a smoother ride in the bow. My wife declared the Lectrotabs, the best ride comfort mod I put on the boat. You know, happy wife, happy life.
I need to shoot the salesman who coined that term happy wife, happy life. It’s sooo true

Mine pulls to the right. I know Jeff says to put a little bit of a toe in the keel for tracking but I was running out of threads on the sterring rod.
Mine was pulling left, I went back and checked my alighment and I must have been drunk the night I installed. I was way off.

I had the thrust vectors on for over 10 yesrs (before trading boat in) with no issues at all in regards to wear of other parts etc.

@84rzv500r What do you have going on here? It looks like a single trim-tab between the jets?

5 years with old style cobra jets here full down all the time (still spring loaded if you hit anything they swing outta the way) boat goes where you steer it on or off the throttle... no downside.. plus the trim tab and its a whole different boat... literally jumps on plane with some down tab... gives you slow cruse speeds below 30... better ride in chop... no porpising above 50 mph..

View attachment 170936

@84rzv500r What do you have going on here? It looks like a single trim-tab between the jets?
yes sir.... 24 inches of 0,125" 6061-T6 plated keel from jet intake to jet intake extending 3" past the transom and a big trim tab.. 12"W x14" long IIRC

attachment_2 (3).jpeg

Last edited:
I drove my 2016 242X for 4 years thinking I didn't need fins (had them on both my prior Yamahas), then decided I wanted to add fins to help with slow speed tracking, and it was a MAJOR difference. FAR less steering input needed to maintain a heading!

No impact whatsoever on top speed etc.

I drove my 2016 242X for 4 years thinking I didn't need fins (had them on both my prior Yamahas), then decided I wanted to add fins to help with slow speed tracking, and it was a MAJOR difference. FAR less steering input needed to maintain a heading!

No impact whatsoever on top speed etc.

I think that's a good point. New owners should take their boat out before buying and installing so that they appreciate their investment. Of course that would be the one time they clip a dock. (smile)

I need to shoot the salesman who coined that term happy wife, happy life. It’s sooo true
My wife will tell you otherwise. As she told my realtor if he aint happy no one will be happy....get him what he wants.....true story.

yes sir.... 24 inches of 0,125" 6061-T6 plated keel from jet intake to jet intake extending 3" past the transom and a big trim tab.. 12"W x14" long IIRC

one thing i forgot to mention on the single trim tab in full down creates a ton of drag kinda lke full flaps on an old Cessna... but if you throttle up you can get a 4' tall wake dead center 10 ft or so behind the boat... bladders not required... LOL

Back