• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Totaled my 2015 SX240.....

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After 15 plus years of jet boating, it finally happened..... I hit a submerged on 7/2/17 rock pile going about 25mph. Everyone on board was OK thank God! My wife broke a toe but is doing great. Ripped up the bottom middle of boat from the bow to the stern. Sucked up large rocks into impellers. Ripped off that articulating rudder thing. Cobra Fins survived just fine.

So it looks like I totaled my 2015 SX240. GEICO Marine Insurance so far has been great about everything. Boat US was awesome about getting my sinking boat back on dry land.
A couple take-a-ways from my stupidity/bad luck:
1) Use those charts (phone apps, hard copy maps, Garman type devices) to understand your waters
2) Be hyper vigilant at low tide
3) If possible, insure your boat for a few thousand more than you bought it for or owe. I only insured my boat for what I paid for it but I think I got a great deal. I will have a very hard time replacing it.
4) Sign up for Boat US
5) Consider keeping a submersible pump (second bilge) on board that could be placed where water might be coming in. The Boat US guy came with one that made a big difference.

I may have the opportunity to purchase my totaled boat from the insurance company at a low price. Engines were NEVER under water (not even close). I was thinking if I could get it at the right price, I could pass part savings on to Forum members that needed parts. Kind of a big gamble for me.

I may also have the trailer for a 24' boat for sale. Any idea what that trailer is worth? Only has a couple thousand miles on it I am guessing. Any one in need of trailer?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear everyone will live to see another day,

I'm about to subscribe to the "it's mandatory 2nd high capacity bilge pump" club just for extra safety factor, it's cheap insurance

Is your trailer stock or galvanized?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad you and crew made it home reasonably unscathed. Hope the financials of the insurance and boat replacement process works out for you as well.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear everyone will live to see another day,

I'm about to subscribe to the "it's mandatory 2nd high capacity bilge pump" club just for extra safety factor, it's cheap insurance

Is your trailer stock or galvanized?
Thanks.
It is galvanized.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you and crew made it home reasonably unscathed. Hope the financials of the insurance and boat replacement process works out for you as well.
Thanks. It seems like GEICO Marine is being great about it but I do not have money from them yet. Our friend/forum member Alan Crews gave me an awesome deal on his boat. I am going to be hard pressed to replace this boat ....it had the options, low hours, and was a color I liked.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That really sucks, but glad everyone is ok.
Deffinitly a learning experience for you.
Good luck with the replacement

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow sorry to hear about the boat , There was another similar incident reported in the Connecticut river a few years back and that boat also had the entire center keel ripped off but the boat was actually repaired .

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well GEICO Marine has made it official and has totaled my boat. They have been really great about the entire situation. They waived the deductible and gave me what I paid for the boat last November. They were Fast and friendly.

They assigned a salvage value of the boat at $5000 and are giving me a chance to purchase it. I plan to put in a low ball offer but kind of hope they do not accept my ridiculous offer. Not sure if I want to deal with it in the hopes of making a few thousand off it. Could end up being a big PIA.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a really close call, glad everyone is ok!

Just out of curiosity... Any pics of the damage?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see motors on eBay for over 3k for the old 160hp engines. I imagine these will be similarly priced.. With a little time you might be able to make some extra money from parting it out. Engines, computers, pumps, cables, etc.

Might make enough back that you can pay desired upgrades on the next model.

Just a thought.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, at 3k for a motor and 1k for an ECU that you know are in working order it would be worth it,

The only hard part would be dumping the hull, many landfills do not accept boat or charge a high fee, if you had time and space it you break it off in bits and put it by the curb ;)

You need a barn or somebody with some land like zipper or maniah,

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Make a reef out of it. Local dive shops will usually take it and float it out and sink it. They usually have EPA cleared sites that they are allowed to dump approved items.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Problem is, these 1.8's are too good and don't require replacement often. I'd almost say most replacements needed will be popped chain 2015 models. I can't imagine those folks will want to put 2015 model engines back in. You could potentially profit, but I think it'd take a long time and that money could work harder for you elsewhere. Seats and such would probably sell quick, but the big ticket items you might sit on for awhile

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let it go, let it go.........

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they do accept my low ball offer...... I would put the entire boat with trailer on EBay.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I got $3,000 for my 04 Eagle trailer last fall. Painted steel, dual axle trailer for my crownline so it was a 10K trailer I think.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So sorry to hear that. That must have been a real scare. Ive grounded twice on low tides. Its a real shame. Glad everyone was ok. Speedy recovery on the Misses Toe.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a cover for the boat? If you aren't interested in buying it back, I may be interested and live right across the river from you....

Last edited: