• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing 242ES

KrodWhodat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When towing the boat the guy told me they never exceed 50mph because of the tower and Bimini cover. I thought I would take the Bimini off but he said it’s a pain in the butt to put back on. It will only be every now and then that it’s on a trailer, the rest of the time it will be at a slip.

What do you guys do?

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I take mine off every time I plan to get on the highway. It only takes 2-3 minutes to remove.
The first few times, it will take 10 minutes to install.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Close up and Take Bimini down. Close front window glass and do 70 mph on freeway no problem.

KrodWhodat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do I do with the solar panel? It just comes unplugged?

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What do I do with the solar panel? It just comes unplugged?
Yes, it just unplugs. Stow it in the head compartment... along with your bimini canvas.

it gets easier and easier to redeploy the bimini. I wouldn’t leave it up when trailering at any speed. It’s just an unnecessary risk And, in my opinion, you would not want the canvas deployed, sitting on the trailer (Or in an open slip) in the sun for days/weeks... you will be replacing it before you know it.

Good luck!!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I have a different top on my AR, but I have a boat rinse at my ramp so it’s all wet, I leave it up for the 7 mile tow home and go 50, speed limit is 55, I just ride in the slow lane. I give it a real good rinse at home since we are exclusively salt water. I stow it after it dries off and redeploy at the ramp next outing. If it’s only now and then and it’s a short distance I wouldn’t worry about it if you can stay slow/not far. Couple hours going 70 I would deff stow it.

Grogfather

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm only about 10 miles from the water, and don't exceed 55. Figure the boat will do 52-ish so I leave mine up. No issues so far.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tow with it installed but I don’t not exceed 50mph. My lake is less than 10 miles from my house. It should be designed to withstand the load it sees on the water. If I can go 45 to 50mph on the water, why can’t I do that on land? Would definitely take it down on long trips or anytime I plan to exceed 50 mph.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep. I'm in a slip now but when I was trailering, I left the Bimini on as long as I wasn't going to exceed 50mph. My normal lake destination is 15 mins of back roads. If I was taking the highway I removed the Bimini.

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not quite sure which boat we're talking about from the original post, but it seems like I'm the odd man out. I have a 2016 242 E-Series and I'll leave the bimini on and tow at freeway speeds (65-70). As long as all the straps are tight, that thing is solid. I suppose it probably is hard on the stitching, but I've been doing it for four years now with no issues.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@spperfitz Mine says not to exceed 45 mph. Not sure if will hold up any higher or how high it will go, but I am chicken to find out. Don't feel like replacing it if it tears or gets destroyed. Also, God Forbid, that it flies loose and another driver on the road gets hurt or dies. Pretty certain if that happens and I exceeded the Mfg. recommendation that a case for "Negligence" on my part could be brought up with some consequences.

Plus not sure how long it would take to order one in and get. We use ours every outing a couple times a week, the Admiral would not be happy without it.

It is just one of those things that at the end of the day I am annoyed taking down after cleaning out the boat and preparing to trailer.

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors The AR and E-Series biminis are completely different. That's why I said I wasn't quite sure which boat we're talking about. His post title says "ES"(?), and his profile has an "AR". I don't think my manual mentions any speed restrictions. I absolutely am not suggesting anyone go against what their manual says or exceed their comfort level.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok makes sense. The E-Series are nice boats and I just looked up the tops, they are different. Good to know for future, thanks. Additionally @sapperfitz I was not implying that you were suggesting....... Was just indicating that with my luck I would damage it or lose it ;)

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors No worries, I just wanted to emphasize people should abide by the restrictions set forth in the manual. Too many variables at play to go strictly by what somebody says in a forum. [flag]

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok makes sense. The E-Series are nice boats and I just looked up the tops, they are different. Good to know for future, thanks. Additionally @sapperfitz I was not implying that you were suggesting....... Was just indicating that with my luck I would damage it or lose it ;)
I towed my 210 with the top deployed to the ramp the last few outings. 55mph is the highest speed limit on the way though and only a few miles, but I wouldn't go much higher. The one positive though is that it allowed the fabric to stretch enough that I can use the second detent on the adjustable support arm. Before I felt like I was going to break something trying to get to that middle detent.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors No worries, I just wanted to emphasize people should abide by the restrictions set forth in the manual. Too many variables at play to go strictly by what somebody says in a forum. [flag]
Thinking about a 242 SE next season. Did you have a Yamaha prior to buying your 242ES? Was wondering if it is worth the extra $$$ for the larger Bimini and drive by wire, new rudder steering, etc (2nd choice is the 240AR). Did you happen to demo the other models prior to your purchase?

Would love to hear your feedback on the differences (if so).

Also, just to clarify you don’t remove the Bimini when trailering your 242ES? I’ll be trailering up to 4hrs when I get one, and don’t really want to be taking off tops/re-installing each time I trailer if its not necessary....

It seems the boat market has exploded this season.......hardly ANY used Yamaha’s out there (even on a 1,000 mile search) and used SE’s are going for high 50’s to 60’s (New ones by me are MSRP Plus)....so If I’m spending 60’s for used I might as well spend $5-10k more for a brand new?

I’m hoping the market will settle down by next march and I can get one at the boat show and save a little......

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I towed my 210 with the top deployed to the ramp the last few outings. 55mph is the highest speed limit on the way though and only a few miles, but I wouldn't go much higher. The one positive though is that it allowed the fabric to stretch enough that I can use the second detent on the adjustable support arm. Before I felt like I was going to break something trying to get to that middle detent.
I use the lowest detent to make sure it doesn't rub when I use the top tow pole. I just grab it and pull a bit and it gets in there, snug and a bit of extra work but it goes in no problem.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thinking about a 242 SE next season. Did you have a Yamaha prior to buying your 242ES? Was wondering if it is worth the extra $$$ for the larger Bimini and drive by wire, new rudder steering, etc (2nd choice is the 240AR). Did you happen to demo the other models prior to your purchase?

Would love to hear your feedback on the differences (if so).

Also, just to clarify you don’t remove the Bimini when trailering your 242ES? I’ll be trailering up to 4hrs when I get one, and don’t really want to be taking off tops/re-installing each time I trailer if its not necessary....

It seems the boat market has exploded this season.......hardly ANY used Yamaha’s out there (even on a 1,000 mile search) and used SE’s are going for high 50’s to 60’s (New ones by me are MSRP Plus)....so If I’m spending 60’s for used I might as well spend $5-10k more for a brand new?

I’m hoping the market will settle down by next march and I can get one at the boat show and save a little......
This thread is regarding the bimini canvas, not the whole frame.

The answer from my dealer is ‘yes, you absolutely should remove the canvas before trailering your boat’.

Personally, I agree with this. It is a risk and a potential liability. You can’t account for wind gusts, effects of passing vehicles, and the fact that you can’t easily put eyes on what’s going on back there while driving down the road.

after you’ve deployed the canvas once or twice, you’ll find that it takes less than 10 minutes. And only about 45 seconds to take it down and stow it. My two cents.

Good luck on the boat search/purchase! It’s all about your own perceived cost/benefit, for you and your family and friends. The bells and whistles on the 242 SE are very nice... but they also add overhead (more cost and more to maintain).

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve towed mine up to 60 with the Bimini cover on. If I’m going on the interstate I’ll take it off. Not that hard going on or off.