• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a 2019 195 with a 3500 pound tow rating?

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Can a 2019 195 be towed (and not exceed any limits) with a 2009 Ford Escape that has a 3500 pound rating? I would be doing this for about 1 season and mostly 10 mile trips to the ramp and one or two 50 mile trips. The next season I would be upgrading to a larger SUV.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can a 2019 195 be towed (and not exceed any limits) with a 2009 Ford Escape that has a 3500 pound rating? I would be doing this for about 1 season and mostly 10 mile trips to the ramp and one or two 50 mile trips. The next season I would be upgrading to a larger SUV.
Yes. But need to watch loading of the boat and the vehicle. The dry weight of the boat trailer combo is a bit over 3k. I would be concerned about the tongue weight so how you load a boat is important. Additionally, you can't carry many people or things in your vehicle.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So you would want a tongue weight of about 300 then correct?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't do it......If I had no choice and it was 10 miles under around 35mph or so.....maybe.....50 miles, nope.

I estimate my 190 to be around 4,200lbs loaded with fuel. +/- a little, and you might be a shade lighter/heavier. Measured 325lbf tongue weight.

Escape might do it, but not for long, and not safely IMO.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our 2013 Escape with 2.0 Ecoboost is rated at 3500lbs. (the 2009 models were rated from 1500-2000lbs) Not the same as the OP's vehicle, but similar. You really feel the weight of a pair of waverunners, or a couple sleds. I don't think I could get too excited about trying to stop a boat of that weight.

I only had quick access to the wet weight of the 2016 AR 190, for comparison it is 2728lbs wet on trailer. So with gear and folks, you will be right at capacity of our 2013, but well over for the 2009. Share your exact model and we can confirm the tow capacity.

All ratings and opinions aside, our little escape just does not feel as planted when pulling near it's capacity. Some MFG's may under or over rate, but I know this particular Ford feels like it is over rated. Can you do it, yes, should you? Only you can make that call. I would strongly recommend hitching up to one and give it a short feel if you have not purchased yet.

I tow with our escape when the truck is tied up with something else, like our boat.

Good luck,

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info. I tow a waverunner with it now. Probably in the low 1000's for weight. That gets towed fine. I'm not in love with the idea of towing a 19 footer that is more then double the current setup but may have to for a year unless I delay buying the boat. Since its only FWD I'm also worried about it slipping on the ramp when pulling out the additional weight.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hear ya there. Back in my single days, I towed waverunners with Grand Am's and Grand Prix. Honestly, FWD was better than RWD for me, as the front tires stayed on dry pavement.

I love AWD and 4WD now and would never go back, but FWD worked back in the day. Physics will tell you having the tongue weight on the drive wheels is the way to go. It's just the weight on the wet/sandy surface was the exception. I'm sure you have experienced that with the waverunners.

Our pair of GP1300r's is probably all of 1500-1800lbs with trailer. The escape does well there, and you do know they are back there.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with most that has been said. One mitigating factor is the 2019 19' boats now have brakes. Without the brakes the answer is absolutely not. I tow my sx190 a short distance, on flat land, under 50 mph with a Honda Odyssey. The Odyssey has a long wheel base so it safe from a stopping point. If anyone besides my wife and I are going they meet me at the dock and take all the party supplies. Front wheel drive has not been a issue on the well designed docks I go to. I plan on taking trips next summer so a new vehicle is coming.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a huge point, as brakes would make a big difference. I didn't know that was the case on the newer trailers.

Back when we had a 20' SeaDoo X20, the brakes were shot, and I never fixed them, as it too was on the line of needed/required. So we went without as our Colorado had a 5000lb tow capacity and had little issue with it.

But brakes on this trailer with a tow vehicle near capacity makes a world of difference. Good point!

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe most SUVs stated tow limit without brakes is 1000lbs to include those with 5000lb tow capacities. Even many pickup trucks towing limits are under 3000lb without brakes. So many of the older 19' boats are technically being towed beyond the capcity of their vehicle.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Ford escape for a company vehicle and I wouldn’t consider pulling a pop can behind it.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In my opinion, it depends greatly on the driver. If you're an experienced driver and have towed repeatedly, don't drive like a jacka$$ and can remember you have a trailer, then I think it's not an issue. I have a Kia Sorento with 5000 lbs rating and tow a 4900 lbs boat with tandem brakes regularly without any issues (towed an old 3000 lbs trailer without brakes as well and no issues because you need to add braking distance). I think the main issue of towing is that many forget they have a trailer (or just figure it doesn't matter) and start weaving through traffic at high speeds, don't add braking distance or turning clearance, and are often distracted. If you're confident and drive smart, and remember you're towing, you should be fine.

As for tongue or ball weight, check to make sure it doesn't exceed the (likely) 350 lbs rating of your vehicle. I keep tongue weight at or below 200 lbs with a 4900 lbs trailer to reduce suspension sag and have no issues with sway or control or braking. Also add a couple of lbs of air to the rear tires to compensate for the additional load (vehicle tire pressures are based on single occupant and no gear or trailer, so add a pound for each person and 200 lbs of gear/trailer tongue weight). Last vehicle with lots of towing had brakes and tires that both lasted over 65k. According to the towing critics, that sounds impossible, but it's true if you adjust each time you drive/tow. Never had an issue in 20 years...my dad hasn't had an issue in 45 years (we towed alot).

I've seen many others have issues over the years, but it was always their fault for not being aware of what they're doing, bad towing practices, or simply tire pressure. I've seen lots of blown tires and that's almost always due to low pressure and not checking their trailer tires regularly. If you drive 400 miles, you should be stopping at least twice to check your tires to ensure you didn't get a slow leak. But rarely is that done.
YMMV

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know the '19 is a little heavier than my '18 SX195, but I have no problems towing with my '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD which is also rated for 3500 lbs.

I store it 1 mile from the lake, but occasionally tow 10 miles to and from the house and also have taken a number of 50 mile trips with no problem. Taking it 400 miles in August. My trailer has brakes and don't find braking to be an issue, including a panic stop once for an idiot. Brake pressure needed to stop is not much different that driving without the trailer although I am sure stopping distance is longer as expected.

Don't get me wrong, you can feel it back there, but I have no issue with towing, braking, launching or retrieving. As long as you are not towing around all stupid like, then you should be fine. It's the other clowns out there that think they can tow 85 MPH with their big boy trucks that you have to watch out for. I'm not in a hurry, so I cruise at 65 or so. Leave extra distance and pay attention to the others that aren't.

It's just the wife and I in the car, and minimal gear in the boat, so we travel pretty light. Again, your 2019 is heavier, but there have been others with previous years on the scale around 3000 lbs. https://jetboaters.net/threads/got-on-the-scale.8001/

IMG_20190601_164325475_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just came across this, keep in mind guys the Ford Escape is based on the Focus platform, AWD or not doesn’t change it. So ask yourself, would you tow it with a Focus? If the answer is no, it should be no with the Escape as well. There is a bit more weight to an Escape, but honestly not much.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info. I tow a waverunner with it now. Probably in the low 1000's for weight. That gets towed fine. I'm not in love with the idea of towing a 19 footer that is more then double the current setup but may have to for a year unless I delay buying the boat. Since its only FWD I'm also worried about it slipping on the ramp when pulling out the additional weight.
Ramp slip with FWD is a really big possibility and would be my biggest concern, especially with 300lbs plus of weight on the ball. No fun can come out of that.