• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Towing jet skis??

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just picked up a couple of used Yamaha jet skis. I plan on towing them behind the boat to our party cove so that we can run around while the boat is tied up as a party platform. Any suggestions, ideas or general words of wisdom with regard to pulling this off?

Thanks

obviously they are not intended to be used that way. however if you are going to do it anyways I would tie them to the cleats on the side and to the hook points on the rear and go very slowly. you could simply tie them off to the back where you put the tow straps or tie down straps to your trailer however there is no way to slow them down and keep them from hitting your boat. again you need to go slowly because they're going to hit your boat as soon as you stop. I would recommend driving all three out to where you plan on staying or anchoring and then tie up as necessary.

Are these actual jet skis or more like wave runners? if skis, can they just be pulled up onto the swim platform and secured somehow? The tails would hang off into the water, I'm sure, but at least then they wouldn't be bobbing around behind your boat, likely rolling over and getting filled with water. Just a thought.

You must clamp off the water line from the pump to the engine while towing a ski or you can get water in the engine. It's just like towing your jet boat the water can be forced up the clooling line and cause engine damage. I think towing them is going to be a hassle. Get someone to drive them if possible, otherwise you will end up eventually damaging them especially if you are towing 2 at a time

...besides, riding them is much more fun than towing them. Just sayin'.

I've towed my buddies Honda Aquatrax turbo using the tow hook. The max I was able to run was about 15 mph or so, any faster and it starts to sway real bad gradually getting worse. We did this several times over the summer due to being tied up in a cove and running out of daylight.

I agree with Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . That is you need to at least clamp off the cooling lines if you intend to go faster than no wake speeds. Additionally, tow them from their bow eyes/the lowest point on the bow you can or they may sub on you while underway. Also vary the length of their tow ropes, for instance 10' for one and 25' for the other, so they don't damage each other. Lastly, consider putting a few pool noodles on the shortest tow line or both of them. It is not much protection but the noodles may provide a bumper between the skis and boat when the boat slows down or stops.

Wow, that's alot of work. I thought just boating was work, now pulling 2 jetski's behind. What happens if you had to stop suddenly?

Thanks for all the posts. I figured I'd have to clamp the cooling lines (like the boats), and knew that I'd have to go slow. I was just trying to find a way to get boat and two skis to our destination (with only 2 adults capable of driving either) without having to make two trips. I suppose I could have my wife drive one ski and I could tow the other with the boat.

So what kind of skis did you buy (make/model/year)? Got any pics?

Let's think about this some more...

If you run a line through a 1' piece of 3/4" PVC and tied that off between the rear tie down on the boat and the front tie down of each ski, the PVC could give you some ability to stop without the skis hitting the boat. Essentially, you fix their distance. Then you need to stop them from slapping into each other or slipping to the outside. You could do that with two lines that are essentially spring lines on each between the tie down on the boat and the rear of the ski on the other side. Then you need something to keep the rear of each ski in place, so use another line through a PVC (you would want to measure what would make the skis parallel) between the back of the skis.

So, you have made a box with an X in the middle. Complex? Yes. Would I still go slowly? Yes. Would you still need to clamp lines? Yes. But I think you might get there more safely.

Thoughts?

The ski won't hit the boat due to it's own drag. I've never had a problem with the ski coasting into the boat, plus you have the increased drag from the jets pushing it away. Just use a rope and your fine.

Let's think about this some more...

If you run a line through a 1' piece of 3/4" PVC and tied that off between the rear tie down on the boat and the front tie down of each ski, the PVC could give you some ability to stop without the skis hitting the boat. Essentially, you fix their distance. Then you need to stop them from slapping into each other or slipping to the outside. You could do that with two lines that are essentially spring lines on each between the tie down on the boat and the rear of the ski on the other side. Then you need something to keep the rear of each ski in place, so use another line through a PVC (you would want to measure what would make the skis parallel) between the back of the skis.

So, you have made a box with an X in the middle. Complex? Yes. Would I still go slowly? Yes. Would you still need to clamp lines? Yes. But I think you might get there more safely.

Thoughts?
My dad used to pull his boat behind his house boat and made a contraption out of PVC, worked well for him.

Back