• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing long distance and Fuel Level

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As most of you know, I am getting ready to head to Florida soon. Currently I have probably 20% fuel in the tank after the last time out. Not sure if the boat will go back in before we leave in a couple weeks, all depends on weather and work. I was sitting here thinking, should I fill the tank and drive it down full or leave it where it is and fill down in Florida. Gasoline prices aside, is one way better/safer than another? Or is it non issue? Will I see a smoother tow going through the mountains by leaving it light in the tank and shedding the extra weight?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you are going to go thru areas with a large temperature change, I would fill it. A partially empty tank would be very susceptible to condensation. But honestly, towing an additional 300-350lbs of fuel shouldn't make that much difference.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d fill er up south. We just got back from Hilton head and there was quite a swing in gas prices compared to Ohio. Maybe fill up at the cheapest place you fill tow vehicle?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We like to target Sheetz. Quick in and out and much better food that should be available at a fuel stop

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Towing that far, you'll save more on vehicle fuel costs with a lighter trailer load and filling at your destination - keep the towed weight down. First rule of towing - manage the load.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it'll make.much difference outside of prices.
Even then it'll only be a few percent difference one way or another. Save a bit in tow vehicle fuel (I doubt this is an appreciable difference), or save a little in fuel cost to fill the tank (again only $10-$20 difference on a $3k trip).

@HangOutdoors do what's easiest. Don't overthink it. You've got 107,694 things to think about all ready. Either decision is fine, do what fits your time and schedule. Logistics are typically a much larger driver than cost for me.

For reference, I towed down to Navarre last summer with the tank full. I knew I had more time in IN than I did in FL. So I filled up locally before headed out. There is only one gas station in Navarre, and it's in the corner which isn't super convenient for getting a trailer in/out. I didn't want to have to drive to find a station to fill up before a launch from the Navarre ramp.

Be sure to send some pics back too eh. We really enjoyed our time down there. Check the Blue Angels practice schedule. If you can watch that from Pensacola Bay, it's WELL worth the effort IMO. I'll send you a marked up Google Earth pic of where we anchored. Super fun day for us.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I towed to FL last year I had the boat mostly empty due to weight. My truck can handle the load without issue but why have the added weight while towing. The boat and tow vehicle are both going to be loaded down with all of your gear for the time your going to be gone. It’ll be worse fuel mileage, harder on the trailer and going to affect your stopping distance. All of these are going to be minimal but why not do everything you can to get yourself there safely.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We just did this exact thing. Managed the fuel level knowing we were going on vaca. Now granted, we were only going 200ish miles but they were through some pretty steep climbs. The combination of managing the fuel load and aero, netted some decent fuel mileage.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
More weight is not your friend when towing. But in this case, it's only a couple hundred pounds. Gas = 6lbs per gallon.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When you have right tow vehicle (we’ll within the limit) then the heavier the better it’s less bouncing.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would disagree on principle. Science.....

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fill when you get here. LOTS of stations have REC 87, 89, & 90. I use local Chevron, Cumberland Farms & Wawa. CF & Wawa apps show prices. There is also Buc-ee's.
Where are you going?

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In response to your real question. When we towed our pop-up, I would leave the water tank empty because 25 gallons of water (175#) was a significant weight increase. I your boat holds 300# of fuel.
If you are going up and down mountains and hills, lighter is better. Again when pulling the pop-up, I learned that I didn't want to go any faster down the other side of the hill than I went going up. For example, the Eisenhower Pass going west out of Denver was 35 mph up and down the other side.
When we go to Key Largo in August, I will fill before we leave. The biggest mountain we have around here is Space, Splash, Thunder mountains, & Everest. But joking aside the overpasses on the highway are all we have to deal with so the additional weight is not an issue.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As most of you know, I am getting ready to head to Florida soon. Currently I have probably 20% fuel in the tank after the last time out. Not sure if the boat will go back in before we leave in a couple weeks, all depends on weather and work. I was sitting here thinking, should I fill the tank and drive it down full or leave it where it is and fill down in Florida. Gasoline prices aside, is one way better/safer than another? Or is it non issue? Will I see a smoother tow going through the mountains by leaving it light in the tank and shedding the extra weight?
Overthinking.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But joking aside the overpasses on the highway are all we have to deal with so the additional weight is not an issue.
@HangOutdoors I just plotted the route from Royal Oak, MI to Navarre, FL. Has you coming down 75, to 71, then 65 all the way south. The hills aren't bad by out west standards, but there are a few you'll have to climb that are somewhat taxing. 71 from Cincy to Louisville is a "roller coaster" of constant up/down. They're gentle hills, but there's a LOT of them. Audi usually drops out of 8th into 7th, and occasionally 6th on some depending on speed and traffic. Same for 65 south out of Louisville and down through, really, about the top half of Alabama. Hills aren't steep or long, but there are a LOT of them with all of them being gentle rollers. One big exception is just south of Louisville you have to climb UP into Elizabeth town area. 5 lane expressway and trucks are usually on the right with flashers on. It's a LONG (8mile ish incline), that I used to use to gauge tow vehicle performance. If I could maintain speed up that hill I was doing well. Audi does fine with it, as did all of my FS pickups/SUV's. SS struggled to stay cool. S10 I had to drop to ~45mph to make it up.

I'm guessing you're in good shape with your Expedition and the AR210 on capacity. Big factor IMO will be how much "stuff" you bring in the car, and how much "stuff" you have in the boat. We had the back hatch of the Audi stuffed to capacity, and a good deal of beach stuff in the boat under the cover. Had 3 adults and 2 kids in the car. I suspect the difference in 300lbs of fuel (half tank) won't be noticeable.

BTW, If you're in the Louisville region for any period of time let me know. I'll buy lunch. I work right off I-65 near the airport.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was more thinking about just the sloshing around of gas in the high heat and humidity for 13 or so hours straight of towing.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was more thinking about just the sloshing around of gas in the high heat and humidity for 13 or so hours straight of towing.
When you pass by good price gas just fill it up you will not notice it with the expedition