• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with mooring cover

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just did a 4 hr drive to Lake Havasu for Desert Storm. So I will try to take more pictures of the Bimini

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just take my mooring cover off that I always store my boat under and tow it then put the cover back on when I get there, if the boat is not going in the water.468E88E2-B613-4A44-8252-C19FF5205502.jpeg
For short trips half hour Or less don’t bother removing the cover But I also stay at 55. I also use painters tape for the windshield or the front of any bars that I do not want bugs on when I go to Florida and back. Any cover that you have on you are subjecting to hurricane force winds the whole time you are driving down the highway. Pic. Hotel in Carolina’s on way back from the keys last week.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here are a few pictures of the Bimini in the water.
Also my buddies 2010 Yamaha with a front Bimini.
His set up is a little different.

Attachments

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just had a custom towing and storage cover made. Heavy duty with a 10yr warranty.
Wow, that’s a cool cover. The boat is wrapped up like a present. You should have had him sew on a red ribbon with bow around the middle. Nice work on the mega Bimini too.

As another data point, I have now towed my boat over 9000 miles with the factory mooring cover (poles out and fat pool noodles on the windshield). It holds up great with no visible effects to the boat beyond the existing wear and tear. Unmodified, the early boats will lose some of their cushions if you don’t cover. The boat stays in the garage, so the cover is only outside on trips. I bought a new one a year or so ago; but mostly so I have a spare since the old ones were getting hard to find. It has the improved enclosure for the ratchets but the rear clip straps are shorter and barely make it through my stern u bolts.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wow, that’s a cool cover. The boat is wrapped up like a present. You should have had him sew on a red ribbon with bow around the middle. Nice work on the mega Bimini too.

As another data point, I have now towed my boat over 9000 miles with the factory mooring cover (poles out and fat pool noodles on the windshield). It holds up great with no visible effects to the boat beyond the existing wear and tear. Unmodified, the early boats will lose some of their cushions if you don’t cover. The boat stays in the garage, so the cover is only outside on trips. I bought a new one a year or so ago; but mostly so I have a spare since the old ones were getting hard to find. It has the improved enclosure for the ratchets but the rear clip straps are shorter and barely make it through my stern u bolts.
I take all the snap cushions out to prevent them from blowing out. 4 thousand miles so far I’ll catch up in a few years. The mooring cushion just flapped to much when I tried towing with it. I think on the center console going over the high windshield probably makes a difference in the tightness of it. Mine always pools when it rains in the bow even with the pole is up there to hold it up. Also I think keeping it in the garage probably saves a lot of ultraviolet light damage to it. The sun from just this one winter down in the keys stored outside has caused it to fade already. And I’m sure that damages the elasticity of the fabric also.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am getting ready to tow my boat about over 1000 miles and have been thinking about approaches to covering it. Over the years I have always towed my boats with no cover because I feel like I am being dragged down and/or I did not want rip the cover.

But this trip I am thinking about covering it with a factory shipping cover that I have. I was thinking about first putting on my snap-in cockpit cover that has poles, and then putting the factory shipping cover over the top of the snap-in cockpit cover. I don't care much about that factory shipping cover but I do not want to ruin my cock pit cover.

Anyone have any thoughts on this approach? Would my double cover approach back fire on me? Maybe just go with the shipping cover with no poles?

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here you go buddy. And of course, it can also easily be removed.
@Lion that shade is phenomenal!!!! I think honestly that is the one thing I wish there were more of on the boat!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would run the shipping cover with nothing underneath (no snap on, no poles).

I put two seasons of towing on my shipping cover before it started showing major signs of wear. Each trip was ~150miles or so, and we probably had 35-40 trips total over those 2 years. One trip was to Nashville and back (~400mi round trip) at the end of last season. The first season I had the poles in, the second season I Ieft them out. There is noticeable stress on the cover with the poles in at interstate speeds (65+mph).

The final setup that I ran had the shipping cover on the boat. Anit-Pooling poles out, but the straps left in place (I think it helps slightly to keep the bow area from collapsing completely). Finally, cut a slit in a pool noodle, and place over the top of the windshield under the cover to prevent the sharp edges of the hinges from causing stress on the cover. This would have likely prolonged my shipping cover another season.

I just completed a ~600mi round trip with the premium deluxe mooring cover and the same setup. No scratches, nicks, or damage that I can tell from the post trip-inspection.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length