• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR-1 Ribbon delete....

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone heard of the performance difference on the tr-1 engines with a ribbon delete??
Im looking into the possibility of doing it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski do you have any insight into how easy of a job that is...would be doing it on both engines in the sx210

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I ran 47 mph on the sx190 and 56mph on the sx240 both with ribbon delete

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so, im guessing it is recommended?
Yes, highly. No disadvantage really other than slightly louder /throatier sounding boat, but more responsive and slightly more power and torque across the range.
I would contact RIVA about the intake kit (ribbon "replacement") - should come with full instructions. It should be similar to 1.8 and it is easy if you don't drop or loose any bolts and gaskets.
Use the screw trick to wiggle it out if it is hard to pull:

I would also delete the "snorkels" from air filter boxes (leave the OEM filters in):

Every bit of opening the intakes helps.
All totally reversible, too. But I do not know of ANY case where these mods would case any problems whatsoever.

It will essentially feel more like boating in cooler weather, with the engine breathing easier.

--

ISLANDRACING

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We're already working on a page on our website for the new TR-1 boats which will have the "ribbon delete":

http://islandracing.net/arsx2102017.html

DONT FORGET!!! : the "ribbon" is your flame arrestor. The stock air filter must be changed also to have a "legal" FLAME ARRESTOR.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ran 47 mph on the sx190 and 56mph on the sx240 both with ribbon delete
Man anything els done to your 240 to get 56 ? Now I think I need to do the ribbon delete on my 240 !

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Man anything els done to your 240 to get 56 ? Now I think I need to do the ribbon delete on my 240 !
nope. but being an SX, its the lightest 24 footer... that helps and a cooler ambient temperature...calm water :)

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ISLANDRACING, forgive me I'm new to this and not the most mechanically inclined, so id need the riva ribbon replacement and a new air filter?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ISLANDRACING, forgive me I'm new to this and not the most mechanically inclined, so id need the riva ribbon replacement and a new air filter?
The simplest version of this mod is to remove the ribbons (w/their rubber flanges), and you are done.

I have not seen any evidence that the tapered rings RIVA calls "intake replacement kit" (or whatever) actually help performance, but those don't hurt either and make everything come together nice and neat. So, in my number 2 ribbon delete I got those and installed them, liked them.

As far as replacing filters, USCG mandates flame arrestors in boats (such as the ribbon in "ribbon delete") even though those play questionable role in fuel injected (not carburated) ignition systems. I never heard of any instance of a fuel injected engine in a boat catching fire due to the lack of arrestor type air filter, but the simple fix is to change the air filter to a "flame arrestor" type.

No need to do this IMO, but if you want to play it safe (and worry about a USCG inspector pulling your throttle bodies out to check if you still have your ribbons in place) there are flame arrestor-type air filters to get you USCG compliance, that is what @ISLANDRACING was referring too, I believe. There are also cheap automotive equivalents of course (of filter type flame arrestors). Performance -wise you will likely not see a difference. When I was messing with this, the complete filter removal (running without any filter) would give maybe 50 RPM gain, and that was a maybe. By comparison, a ribbon delete will give you a solid 200-300 RPM gain on top.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great feedback...im basically planning on teaching myself the mechanics of the boat as I go and want to do what I can myself...feedback is much appreciated

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update...I contacted Riva Racing about parts for doing the delete on a TR1 and this is the reply I got..

Hello Lee

The ribbon (flame arrestor) on the TR-1 engines is molded into the intake
manifold and therefore cannot be removed with destroying it. It can be
removed, but there is not intake manifold upgrade "spacer" required at this
point to reassemble. It is different than the other Yamaha engines.

Interesting...so from what I read from this is simply remove it

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update...I contacted Riva Racing about parts for doing the delete on a TR1 and this is the reply I got..

Hello Lee

The ribbon (flame arrestor) on the TR-1 engines is molded into the intake
manifold and therefore cannot be removed with destroying it. It can be
removed, but there is not intake manifold upgrade "spacer" required at this
point to reassemble. It is different than the other Yamaha engines.

Interesting...so from what I read from this is simply remove it
So.... Which part is it getting destroyed the ribbon or intake? I have not pulled mine apart yet, but I plan on it this weekend.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like there are no spacers that they can sell - labelled as an "intake kit" but I would think that a ribbon can still be removed, may just require something like that screw-trick:

(Just speculation on my part)

--

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like there are no spacers that they can sell - labelled as an "intake kit" but I would think that a ribbon can still be removed, may just require something like that screw-trick:

(Just speculation on my part)

--
I was just making sure before I tear into it and can't do anything. I haven't even looked at the setup closely and the boats 2hrs away. Don't want to screw it up for along weekend of water time. I will post what I find with pics.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to do it with my 10 hr service...any postings would be a huge help

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I imagine you will need to lurk around the some of the ski forums since the TR1s are only in the new 210 boats which not many people have. They have been in the skis for a couple of years now.