• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trailer brake question

The tow vehicles a 2012 Lincoln Navigator it is rated for 9000 pounds which is actually the highest in class at that date only vehicle that beats it now full-size SUV class the expedition is now rated for 9200 pounds. Well I think the 2500 suburban series might be rated a little higher than that as well like 9200 to 9400 pounds

That's amazing towing capacity for sure. Why the hell didn't they put a 7-pin on that animal then? That's really odd.

That's amazing towing capacity for sure. Why the hell didn't they put a 7-pin on that animal then? That's really odd.

Really not sure. My last tow vehicle was a 2007 Expedition EL and it had the 7 pin so I was a little shocked when I saw this had the 4 pin.

Thanks for the reply. I may just take it to a local trailer place too. Are drums all that are possible?

Yes, unfortunately. But to be honest, I have had plenty of drum electric brakes and never had a problem that I couldn't solve in a few minutes or replace pretty easy.

My current truck I think has a 4 pin connector. My last truck had the 7 pin round I had to add an adapter too I will double check tomorrow. So if it has the four pin I need to disable the brake correct?

You only need the 5th blue wire hooked up if your needing to back up trailer. It does nothing when driving forward or stopping. Another trick you can do to get brakes released is put the 5th blue wire on trailer into the 2nd brown wire spit on truck and turn on your lights. This will release brakes so you can back up!

So finally able to really look at my set up it is a 4 pin which is weird especially when there is is another wire under there with a tag on it that says electric brake. Not sure why the would have this truck set to tow something with electric brakes then only have a 4 pin connector.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 17
There was an optional Class III/IV Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package includes frame-mounted, heavy-duty trailer hitch receiver with 4-/7-pin wiring harness; brake module wiring; heavy-duty radiator, flasher and transmission cooler; and rear load-leveling air suspension.

Perhaps you could buy the the 7 pin connector and install it.

I wonder what the tow capacity is without this optional package.

There was an optional Class III/IV Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package includes frame-mounted, heavy-duty trailer hitch receiver with 4-/7-pin wiring harness; brake module wiring; heavy-duty radiator, flasher and transmission cooler; and rear load-leveling air suspension.

Perhaps you could buy the the 7 pin connector and install it.

I wonder what the tow capacity is without this optional package.
I know I have the class 4 frame mounted hitch and it would appear I have the electric brake module as it is wired and marked as electric brake unsure of the other items I would have to look. I wonder if it won't be a simple plug and play if the brake module is there Im wondering if all the wires are not there and they just have the 4 pin instead of the 7 pin plugged in.

Here is the label from the hitch I'm trying to find any markings on the Radiator to identify which I have but have not found any yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 17
I am not sure about Ford but most larger GM vehicles come with a fuse slot and wiring for a trailer brake controller regardless of whether the controller is installed or not.

Did you buy it new? I wonder if a previous owner added the receiver hitch?

I bet you can use the VIN number to determine what options were installed.

I am not sure about Ford but most larger GM vehicles come with a fuse slot and wiring for a trailer brake controller regardless of whether the controller is installed or not.

Did you buy it new? I wonder if a previous owner added the receiver hitch?

I bet you can use the VIN number to determine what options were installed.
No I bought it used a few years back. After doing some more digging you are correct @Bruce I have Lincolns standard tow package which is rated at 6000 lbs. It appears the options I'm missing are the hd radiator, transmission cooler and 7-pin harness. The truck is prewired for a break controller but that is a standard option. No break controller installed in both the hd towing and standard it is prewired for an after market controller they don't provide one but a simple plug and play deal. Since all those wires are back there I'm thinking this should hopefully be a simple switch out once it finally stops raining here at the coast I will open the end cap in those wires and see if the blue wire has any power to it if so it should be that hard to switch it all out.

I am uncertain of the color codes but the wire you want to use to disable the brakes for backing up is the reverse light.

The optional brake controller and its wire would only be used for electric drum brakes.

I am uncertain of the color codes but the wire you want to use to disable the brakes for backing up is the reverse light.

The optional brake controller and its wire would only be used for electric drum brakes.

I have been unable to find the wiring diagram for what the prewired. I did see somewhere that if there are four wires in that tube one of them is the reverse light. So hoping I get lucky. If there are only 3 it is not in there. I won't know till I can get under there when it stops raining tomorrow

I recommend stopping by your Ford/Lincoln dealer to see if they sell a plug and play 7 pin plug.

If they don't you will have to run a wire from the reverse lights to the pin adapter area, cut out the 4 pin adapter, and splice in a 5 pin adapter.

I would not recommend switching to electric drum style brakes if you launch in salt water. They probably won't last more than one season. Maybe you could install a flush system that rinsed the inside of the drum to add a little life. Still I would not recommend it.

Agreed on the salt water + drum brake comment... but usually when you pull your boat out of salt water, don't you immediately wash and flush it? Would be just as easy to blast the brakes while you're at it. That said, I'm never putting my trailer into salt water so it's no concern of mine :-)

Another option is to turn your plugin around with just 3 of the 4 connectors plugged in and turn on your parking lights. That will power the solenoid. I did it that way with wife's sport trac because the stupid little locking key kept falling out by the time I got back in the truck.

Agreed on the salt water + drum brake comment... but usually when you pull your boat out of salt water, don't you immediately wash and flush it? Would be just as easy to blast the brakes while you're at it. That said, I'm never putting my trailer into salt water so it's no concern of mine :)
Sure but the problem with drums is you can't rinse inside the drums and all the components rust out. If you were to drill through the backing plate and put in a nozzle and some piping you could hook up to a hose it might extend the life but there is no perfect solution. With discs there is no closed up area to hold salt residue.

Misc. info.: I just had some work done on my trailer brakes at two different shops. The first one is collocated at a uhaul and the second is a big o tires. Both have been in business for over 20 years and both stated that my trailer is the first one they have seen that had a surge disc brake system. As a result neither had the parts (caliper mounting bolts, brake pads and lug nuts/bolts) in stock.

Surge brakes seem to rule the world of boat and rental trailers. Anywhere else less expensive electric drum brakes are used.

I believe that some drum brakes are manufactured with water hose hookups to clean them out. But I also believe that no matter how thoroughly you clean some salt would be left behind.

Misc. info.: I just had some work done on my trailer brakes at two different shops. The first one is collocated at a uhaul and the second is a big o tires. Both have been in business for over 20 years and both stated that my trailer is the first one they have seen that had a surge disc brake system. As a result neither had the parts (caliper mounting bolts, brake pads and lug nuts/bolts) in stock.
That's laughable. They don't work on boat trailers much. That would be like saying "We've been working on cars for 20 years but I've never seen one with an automatic transmission before."

I wouldn't expect anyone but a trailer manufacturer to have things like bolts in stock. Even pads, I doubt anyone is going to stock them just in case someone needs a trailer worked on. Why would you need to replace bolts and lug nuts? Must be in really bad shape.

Back